+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raid tier tanking upgrades; chest, and armor ratings..

Default Raid tier tanking upgrades; chest, and armor ratings..

I'm stuck tanking Regulos with a blue chest piece. I searched Magelo and didn't find anything about raid drop chest pieces, never seen one in an expert. I think I may need to save up IS and go for an infinity stone chest since I don't have a mark for it. But as of yet I haven't been able to afford the Infinity stones from buying like 6 raid tier crystals and outfitting a full tank and dps sigil. I must have burned through thousands of IS, and yet still need more. Is there anywhere else I can get an upgrade?

My legs are blue also but at least I know there are some which drop in tower of the shattered.. although in dozens of runs I haven't been lucky yet.

Also what armor rating do you rogues tanks have? I have an armor rating of 58k with armor plating on in the 8 ranger 7 bard build. When I spoke with warrior and cleric tanks in my guild they have over 70k each (I think one mentioned 72k). Even the tactician varient for riftstalker would not add that much armor. I am not a main spec tank, I am an offtank, so my mark gear has been going towards dps. As such I am not as geared as a full time rogue tank. I have been managing this via cooldowns. But I am curious is our armor really that low compared to warrior and cleric tanks?

I think I have come to a point where I may only need 1 more raid mark dps piece but I haven't made that decision yet. AFter that any mark gear would go towards tank stuff. But we are talking months away from any of that happening due to how slow it is to get enough marks for items.

Thanks

Isn't there the dungeon mark one that you can upgrade? I thought they added them for all classes a while back. As far as your armor level, you have to keep in mind that you don't have a shield and that is usually the single biggest chunk of armor a war or cleric gets. (fyi only like 68k armor.here, but only have 3 raid armor pieces so far) also have to keep in mind that armor doesn't do jack.against spell damage, so you probably aren't as far behind on overall mitigation as you may think.
    Ortoun 60 Warrior Tank 4/4 TDQ 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 1/4 HM Shatterbone
    Lewin 50 Rogue retired alt/craft bot

Good thought on the dungeon gear, but I just checked the vendor and its junk. If I blew 28+39 marks to get the purple dungeon chest I would not gain any endurance, and only 300 armor. If there is a raid drop somewhere from a 10 or 20 man I can use those same marks to give it set bonus... so I'm really hesitant to burn marks for only 300 armor.. I know it will scale up.. but meh.

I just checked the infinity stone armor and it would at least give 8 endurance plus the 300 armor. But we are talking 600+ IS. Argh. I can't believe itemization is still this bad months into SL.

There is a chest on Goloch with Parry and a Deflect chest somewhere in FT.
    Nope.

twins has a decent deflect chest, matriarch has deflect legs, twins also have legs (higher end than matriarchs, but with parry). Any other piece you need to know?
    "You're just realizing the fault of your species, human beings are the most untrustworthy, backstabbing creatures on this planet. Except for bears."

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsurfing View Post
    But I am curious is our armor really that low compared to warrior and cleric tanks?
    Our armor is roughly equal to clerics, and slightly behind warriors. We make up for it by having a bit more mitigation from talents. In fact, we have the highest effective health out of all the tanks, as well as the most cooldowns, which makes us a bit overpowered.

(As a side note, don't use tactician in a tanking build. It's not worth it. It sounds like you're not, but just making sure. 8 Ranger/7 Bard is better for surviving damage spikes, which is what raid tanking is all about.)

My not just get the expert chest? Instead of saving up all those IS...
    Misterwar <-Virus-> 5/11 Warborne <Yakisoba> 5/11 Warborne <Apotheosys> 0/11

Thanks for info on raid drops

I personally do use the tactician build, 13 tact/2bladedancer, and I sit at 68,554 armor while raid buffed tanking a boss. I know Muspel is very against any tank spec with tactician in it for raids, however I have used the spec on every boss currently in the game(Regulos included) and it works just fine.
    *edit* however this is really not the topic to debate specs, just commenting that the spec is fine for raids since his side note pretty much commented on the spec I prefer using :P
    Last edited by Asaomar; 02-20-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep@Deepwood http://http://beepbeep.guildlaunch.com
    Asaomar Lv 60 Rogue Tank[Main]-Miniderps Lv 60 Cleric Tank[Alt]-Shederps Lv 60 Mage[Alt]
    Boss Kill videos | My Live Stream
    All T1 Content ClearedGrim Awakening 4/4, Infinity Gate 2/3, Planebreaker Bastion 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by Asaomar View Post
    I personally do use the tactician build, 13 tact/2bladedancer, and I sit at 68,554 armor while raid buffed tanking a boss. I know Muspel is very against any tank spec with tactician in it for raids, however I have used the spec on every boss currently in the game(Regulos included) and it works just fine.
    *edit* however this is really not the topic to debate specs, just commenting that the spec is fine for raids since his side note pretty much commented on the spec I prefer using :P
    Viable is not the same as optimal. I've killed bosses using 61mm/6ranger/9assassin (before I did the math and figured out it wasn't the best), but that doesn't mean that I recommend it, because it's worse at its primary job.
    Last edited by Muspel; 02-20-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Yeah I tried the tac version too for a while but I'm back to the hp ranger/bard version, as long as I don't flub a cooldown it seems eminently survivable. But I am just trying to do stuff to make it easier on my healers. More armor, more end, etc..
    Last edited by Hodor; 02-21-2013 at 12:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread