+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Muspel
  • 1 Post By Muspel

Thread: My new range dps spec

Soulwalker

Default My new range dps spec

I started messing around with range specs after I heard Silver tips was getting a buff. I was using the MM/Ranger spec but I don't like relying on a pet for damage. So I was looking around for a pure MM spec that did the same dps. What I came up with was, 51mm/21bd/4rng, here is the build

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#x8gyw/AkAx9kAG4/zf

I like this build because it basically gives you the same bonus as your raptor from ranger. In this spec your Finishers damage is increased by 10% and your builders damage is increased by 10% also. But the two kickers I like are 1)Hack and Slash which on successful crit hit damage is increased by 15% plus 5% reduced damage taken. 2) Blade Tempo, increases physical damage by 30% for 15s but has 2 min CD. So I use blade tempo with wild growth and lava field.

Hack and Slash is up 100% of the time for me. In raids I get up around 14k+ I've seen 16k single target if timed right with archon and chloro. Then I usually hold around 11-12k.

Rotation is pretty simple, I use rapid shot as finisher then hasted shot until rapid shot comes off CD. I use Bull's Eye with Hasted Shot but think I will change that to Emp Shot most likely.
    My builders are Emp Shot and Swift Shot.
    I'll use Blade Tempo with Strafe then finisher, then Quick Reload Strafe again Rapid Shot again. Then go to builder 5 points finisher. Rinse and repeat .

Please critique spec and see if you can make better.

That's a cool build idea, but MM just doesn't work too well in hybrid builds. The thing is, Free Recoil and Static Shock Munitions are so powerful that they're really not worth giving up.

Static Shock Munitions buffs your damage by 15%, and it affects all of your damage. Hack and Slash requires a crit to trigger it, but even with 100% uptime, it only boosts physical damage (meaning it won't affect Electrified Munitions). As icing on the cake, Static Shock also gives you bonus crit damage. So when comparing the two, Static Shock is clearly the superior choice.

So, essentially, your build sacrifices Free Recoil for Blade Tempo. And Blade Tempo, unfortunately, just isn't that good-- it's additive with Shoot to Kill, which means that it's actually a 20% damage buff, not 30%. With a 15 second duration and a 2-minute cooldown, you'll see about 12% uptime, for an average boost of 2.5%. In practice, it'll probably be a bit higher if you sync it with various cooldowns, but I'd be stunned if it ended up averaging out to more than four or five percent.

Free Recoil is worth way, way more than 5% damage.

Soulwalker

I actually don't use electrified munitions I use Rending Munitions and Silver Tips. So by not using that, the hack and slash would give me the same 15% as Static shock. But I can also see your point because I have to crit to get it to proc. So what I might do is go 61mm/15bd for Ambidextrous, Balde finesse and Combat expertise to see if I can pull more single target dps. I haven't tried the 61mm since they got buffed so i will have to try that.

Oh I also forgot to mention that Deaden and Weapon Barrage DON'T Share the same CD. So you have 2 interrupts that both silence for 5's on successful interrupt.

The top ranged DPS spec is 61mm/10sin/5nb. Alternately, you can try 61mm/10ranger/5nb, which pulls about 100 less DPS, but does much better on target switches (which is most boss fights).
    Last edited by Muspel; 02-13-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Soulwalker

How much single target dps is it doing self buffed on the raid dummy?

Quote Originally Posted by thinkNgames View Post
    How much single target dps is it doing self buffed on the raid dummy?
    Depends heavily on your gear. I pull ~10.6k self buffed. With raid buffs, it goes up to around 14.6k.
    Last edited by Muspel; 02-13-2013 at 06:18 PM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thinkNgames View Post
    I started messing around with range specs after I heard Silver tips was getting a buff. I was using the MM/Ranger spec but I don't like relying on a pet for damage. So I was looking around for a pure MM spec that did the same dps. What I came up with was, 51mm/21bd/4rng, here is the build

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#x8gyw/AkAx9kAG4/zf

I like this build because it basically gives you the same bonus as your raptor from ranger. In this spec your Finishers damage is increased by 10% and your builders damage is increased by 10% also. But the two kickers I like are 1)Hack and Slash which on successful crit hit damage is increased by 15% plus 5% reduced damage taken. 2) Blade Tempo, increases physical damage by 30% for 15s but has 2 min CD. So I use blade tempo with wild growth and lava field.

Hack and Slash is up 100% of the time for me. In raids I get up around 14k+ I've seen 16k single target if timed right with archon and chloro. Then I usually hold around 11-12k.

Rotation is pretty simple, I use rapid shot as finisher then hasted shot until rapid shot comes off CD. I use Bull's Eye with Hasted Shot but think I will change that to Emp Shot most likely.
    My builders are Emp Shot and Swift Shot.
    I'll use Blade Tempo with Strafe then finisher, then Quick Reload Strafe again Rapid Shot again. Then go to builder 5 points finisher. Rinse and repeat .

Please critique spec and see if you can make better.
    I doubt this will be top but I think its pretty creative. Keep up those ideas mang!

+ Reply to Thread