+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assassin/RS/tact PvP build viable?

Rift Disciple

Default Assassin/RS/tact PvP build viable?

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/b...GFkAGl4/tr555i

I was looking at the NB/RS build posted in another thread but I just couldn't give up trying to make Assassin work. The biggest debate I had with this build was 51 points in Assassin for that hard-hitting Serpent Strike or put 3 back into RS for Shadow Stalk+ Planar Reversal to set up nice backstabs and such.

Will the Assassin soul be able to put out enough single-target damage to kill the person I am selecting for death in PvP (mainly healers) while RS and Curative Engine keep me alive? Will this be able to compete against the NB/RS builds?

Advice would be appreciated.

Rift Disciple

102 views and counting....but not one rogue that has tried this that can say whether or not it works at 60 and/or while leveling?

General of Telara

im currently trying it pre-60. I got enough of a burst to kill a healer with well timed stun but i do find myself quite squishy.

Found it better then nightblade because i can go back to stealth if something goes wrong.

Rift Disciple

Still no level 60s that have tried this that can weigh in on effectiveness?

The question has been around since the start of rift. Which is better Nightblade or Assassin? I currently run a nightblade spec, and i find it less squishy and better than a sin spec :x.

General of Telara

played a bit more of both.

I prefer the assassin (talking about pvp). Here is what i run.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j.../ykyGGaH1kAg/A

Its not set in stone, i still try moving some points around and try different stuff.

Tactician heal wont make you live through the burst, thats what i found. If you fight against another rogue or a paragon warrior where he does alot of strike, it can help you but in most case it never really prevent me from dying since i receive some 2k crit (at lvl 53) and it heal me for 150 or around. So when a pyro channel a flame volley + cinder, it wont change the outcome. It can help if you are doing 1v1 i guess or often running out of your healer sigh.

Both nightblade and assassin do comparable dps for me so far.

Nightblade pros (for me) :

Twillight trancendence. It is like a second life for you, it really save your butt. When you try finishing the healer and everyone is focusing you, it really help getting the killing blow or running away . Even for 1v1 it really give the edge.

Fell blades : -10% healing. Its cool to have an auto apply of it, save you an anatema GC but i can live without it.

Twillight force + state of sloth: A slow (help you catch runners) with a +10% damage from you. Just sad that it last only 6 seconds. I often miss some precious seconds with my assassin from moving target. It really help.

Nightblade cons :

-No way to get back to stealth. Dark malady and smother are incredible abilities but you can only do at the start of the combat

-No interrupt, no stun : I really wanted something to deal with the pesky healers but with the nightblade its really hard (at lvl53) to deal with healers without those tools. You can open with a 5sec silence but they can CC break it. The night blade got quite the pressure but im just missing a small edge.

Assassin pros:

-Slip away : slip away+ hidden veil + pvp tree cleanse. Something turn sour for you, more join the fight? you just dissapear to fight another day.

-thread of fate (41pts) : use a stealth ability out of stealth. Another assassinate, another jagged strike or a second stun with paralyzing strike. I love this ability

-Permanent stealth : I dont know how many points i stole in codex , just waiting for the right time in stealth and just take it unnoticed. Stealing stones in the base in whitefall . Reaching for the healers behind in Fang. You "can" manage something like that with nightblade but after 30 sec you are revealed so for capping points or just waiting for the right time to steal a stone is more dangerous.

Assassin cons :

-Squishy! Without any defensive cooldown, as soon as i am targeted by 2+ players, i need to slip away! I felt like i was living longer in nightblade.

-Lack of catching people tool and ranged attack. Thats why i got the Riftstalker and the Marksman so far. Teleporting to one or just a sprint to catch on is vital.

Riftstalker why:

I am still debating as far as keeping it. I was looking perhaps at something like that
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j.../ykyGGaHhkAg/A

At this low in the Riftstalker where i am currently, its not much of a use. To use boosted recovery, you need the killing blow which in pvp can be stole by someone else dots or smart aoe. To get alot out of stalker phase, you need to port and with only 2 ports, its hard to keep it up, one that is just a movement forward which can get you further or disoriented from your target. At 24 point you can your teleport to the back of the target, reflect damage, more crit (which help serpent strike) but if i were to go this low, i would probably get something else.

Marksman why :

I didnt put much thought behind it as my queue was already up and needed something to fill the lack of ranged attack and the spammer give you 15% boost so when you run on the heels of someone it can help you stay on him and the 50% boost is quite nice to get to objectives faster or just link a shadow shift+on the double to get away from nasty situation.

-----------------------------

Im looking right now in trying to merge best of both world into the same spec. These are just ideas, i need to test them.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...klmFkAg/wkkEkS

You got stuns, cd from bladedancer , darkmaladie as opener , dusk strike as a spammer which is more awesome then savage strike , Twillight force as a slow , you can range/finish attack. Even primal strike i think hit harder then savage strike. Move the point in 10% crit savage strike into poison mastery and enduring brew. You can move 3 points out of the nightblade to get malicious poison from the assassin which i need to try.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...oyw/wnBayB4JiE

3 points where i cant decide where to put. The survivability with this spec must be incredible and being able to slip away + dark malady or smother in the middle of killing a healer this might be great.

Ill try to test both.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by darkchicken View Post
    snip
    you really need to take heat retention if you're over 20pts into NB.

this is what i would use

hellfire blades and lethal for weapon buffs to get the benefit of both poison mastery/melted skin. can anyone confirm if you can do that?

you also need to either focus on physical or non-physical attacks and get just get those bonuses. if you start trying to do both you'll end up doing no damage.
    Icecubetray - 60 Rogue
    Bongmaster - 60 Mage
    Tronzilla - 60 Warrior
    Herpzalot - 60 Cleric
    Stickybudz - 55 Cleric

+ Reply to Thread