+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue tanking mitigation question

Default Rogue tanking mitigation question

This might be the wrong place to ask but hopefully someone will be able to answer this for me, as i don't have a rogue tank

as far as I know (from looking at primalthirst's tanking spreadsheet) the different types of mitigation are multiplicitive

rogues get:

3% DR from souls
    2% DR from phantom blow
    up to 14% DR from raid buffs

the 3% is multiplicitive with 14% because buffs and talents are in separate categories. now why is the 2% multiplicitive and not added to the 14%? Wouldn't phantom blow be considered a buff DR?

now it gets even trickier... improved rift guard gives a shield which absorbs 7% of damage, this is multiplicitive because damage absorb factors in after mitigation. I get that, but when you consider that defiler links also reduce damage by a set % after mitigation.... does the defiler link reduce the damage with the absorb or before or after it?

basically, you have a improved rift guard up and a 30% link on a rogue tank. If the tank gets hit for 10k damage, does:

A) 3k go to the defiler, 700 to rift guard absorb, 6300 get taken in damage (link and shield calculations apply same time)
    or
    B) 2.79k go to the defiler, 700 to rift guard absorb, 6510 get taken in damage (link applied after shielding)
    or
    C) 3k go to defiler, 490 to rift guard absorb, 6510 taken in damage (link applied before shielding)

now that i've typed this all out, I realize it might be easier to test by putting up a regular 100% absorb shield on someone with my defiler link and see if I take damage or if the shield absorbs it all XD

oh well, any input would be helpful

Raid buffs and self buffs are a separate damage/mitigation buff category

Rift guard is a partial absorb, this is completely separate from any form of "damage reduction" because the damage itself is "absorbed" not reduced from mitigation such as Defiler links. It only matters which happens first to determine how much of the absorb gets consumed (and how much is redirected to the defiler); if the link happened first it would mean less damage is done to the absorb, but either way (as long as the absorb isn't fully consumed) the end result damage is the same. Personally don't know what order they are considered in.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 01-18-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Raid buffs and self buffs are a separate damage/mitigation buff category

Rift guard is a partial absorb, this is completely separate from any form of "damage reduction" because the damage itself is "absorbed" not reduced from mitigation such as Defiler links. It only matters which happens first to determine how much of the absorb gets consumed (and how much is redirected to the defiler); if the link happened first it would mean less damage is done to the absorb, but either way (as long as the absorb isn't fully consumed) the end result damage is the same. Personally don't know what order they are considered in.
    Thanks, I kind of figured that this was the case. am i also correct in assuming that that CD self buffs such as scatter the shadows is also considered a self buff and so is additive to the 2% from phantom blow?

Well, I can say with certainty that DR cooldowns are multiplicative with Defiler links. Otherwise, Riftstalkers would be immune to damage with Scatter and a link, but you take minor damage.

I'm too lazy to do detailed testing, but I'd guess that cooldowns are multiplicative with everything.
    Last edited by Muspel; 01-18-2013 at 03:27 PM.

What these guys have said is pretty much it.
    Damage Mitigation is split into the following categories:
    -Passive Self Buffs - Void/Shield of Faith/Exceptional Resilience
    -Active and Targeted Buffs - Phantom Blow/Pacification/Crest of Entropy/Healer's Covenant
    -Raid Buffs - Motif of Tenacity/Sign of Faith
    -Debuffs - Disorient
    -% Absorbs - Rift Guard/Shadow Guard
    -Links - Self-explanatory

All of those categories should be multiplicative with each other. The only thing I am uncertain about is whether Healer's Covenant + Scatter the Shadows would give the target over 100% Damage Mitigation. It should from my understanding but I have not tested it.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 01-18-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    Nope.

Just ran out, threw up Planar Refuge and Scatter the Shadows, and took zero damage from some mobs, so I'd assume Healer's Covenant and StS would do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Just ran out, threw up Planar Refuge and Scatter the Shadows, and took zero damage from some mobs, so I'd assume Healer's Covenant and StS would do the same thing.
    Thanks, always good to know my assumptions are correct.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 01-18-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    so what you're saying is... now it takes two cooldowns to be immune to a mechanic instead of one

+ Reply to Thread