+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Durango

Thread: Proposed Synergy Crystal Changes

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Default Proposed Synergy Crystal Changes

A few of the Rogue synergy crystals bonuses suck. We need to fix it, so I'm spitballing some ideas. Here's what I would change:

T'scain's Riftstalker Crystal
    (2): Phantom Blow increases Deflect rating by 150.
    (4): Scatter the Shadows lasts 1 additional second and Planar Refuge lasts 2 additional seconds.

Reason: Currently, all the set bonuses for RS are useless. These changes maintain the basic vision of the current crystal, but are actually good.

T'scain's Assassin Crystal
    No change

T'scain's Saboteur Crystal
    (2): Detonate deals an additional 150 damage per charge on enemies within 7 meters.
    (4): Increase the damage of all bombs by 250.

Reason: The current bonuses are convoluted and don't play to Sab strengths. This simplifies them and beefs up AOE a bit.

T'scain's Tactician Crystal
    (2): Torrent Primer also Increases your Attack Power by 125.
    (4): Increases damage and healing of all engines and cores by 250.

Reason: The current Tactician Crystal is useless. The torrent increases are barely detectable and fall within the margin of error. These bonuses would be concise, while providing tangible benefits to the Tactician.

T'scain's Bard Crystal
    (2): Power Chord increases your Attack Power by 100 for 6 seconds.
    (4): Increases the damage of Cadenza by 640 and healing of Cadence by 640.

Reason: The Bard crystal seems unsure about what it wants to do between damage/healing. These changes help Bard to do both, a little bit better.

T'scain's Bladedancer Crystal
    No change

T'scain's Marksman Crystal
    (2): Increases the damage of Marksman combo point builders by 175 per combo point gained.
    (4): Marksman finishers cause the target to be vulnerable, increases damage taken from the rogue and Decoy by 150 for 10s.

Reason: The current crystal makes Strafe obsolete. This change would keep Strafe as a viable ability. Added Decoy to the 4-piece so that ability isn't so questionable.

T'scain's Nightblade Crystal
    (2): Increases damage of Scourge of Darkness by 200.
    (4): Nightstalker's increased damage now begins when the enemy is at 40% health.

Reason: The current 2 piece that gives a chance on hit for extra damage is weird and unreliable. Moved the old 4-piece to the 2-piece and nerfed it slightly, and then added a gutsy 4-piece that helps boost Nightblade's niche, finishing off weakened opponents.

T'scain's Ranger Crystal
    (2): Splinter Shot increases damage taken by Ranger and pet abilities by 150.
    (4): Shadow Fire also increases the pet's Attack Power by 700.

Reason: The current bonuses suffer from being overly complicated. This simplifies them, and makes the pet's damage a more important part of Ranger.

I like these ideas, make it so Trion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Ascendant

I'll pass. These changes would in general make many build more meh. For some it would require using abilities that honestly should never ever be used. In short, NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    I'll pass. These changes would in general make many build more meh. For some it would require using abilities that honestly should never ever be used. In short, NO!
    This is an unusually non-constructive post for you, Durango. Care to elaborate?

Rift Chaser

The bard suggestions I do not like. I do not take powerchord in any of the 3 bard builds I currently have. Invigorated soul in only one. The 4 set is too good in PVP for NB imo.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Zazen View Post
    This is an unusually non-constructive post for you, Durango. Care to elaborate?
    Sure. First of all, most of these crystals already have existing functionality that was extensively tested and balanced. As such they should only be changed when something is obviously broken (ex Warrior Warlord 2 piece bonus).

RS2: fine how it is, a minor amount of trickle healing, 150 deflect is out of line (OoL) with other tank 2 pieces.
    RS4: Current bonus is much better than proposed change and very useful in actual content. The existing ability durations are fine for content that already exists and likely factored into future content.

SAB2: OoL with other 2 pieces
    SAB4: Change is basically meh vs existing functionality

TAC2: OoL with other 2 pieces
    TAC4: OoL with intent of Tact healing, plays to current live bugs. Makes CurEng OP.

BARD2: PC is worthless. PC would be worthless with this change. BARD2 piece would effectively cease to exist.
    BARD4: existing functionality suits intended bard playstyle. Might be a little weak.

MM2: OoL with other 2 pieces
    MM4: Existing bonus currently powerful enough.

NB2: worse than the currently existing bonus
    NB4: Existing 4 piece bonus likely needs a buff, but changing it out for a minor range increase on low damage increase is pretty meh

RGR2: the proposed bonus is in fact a 4p bonus. AKA OoL
    RGR4: Existing functionality works as well as proposed functionality

So all the changes either aren't really needed or present balance issues or require using abilities that should never actually be used.
    Last edited by Durango; 01-18-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    Currently, all the set bonuses for RS are useless. These changes maintain the basic vision of the current crystal, but are actually good.[/I]
    Um.

The 2 piece bonus is absolutely useless, I'll agree with you there. The 4 piece is incredibly good.

RS2: fine how it is, a minor amount of trickle healing
    Stopped reading here. Obvious troll. Kind of unlike you.

Let's pretend you were serious. Lets say a boss hits a tank once, for 4000, which is a light tap for 7% of your health. With this bonus, you would heal that damage after Planar Striking 50 times. Its not even trickle healing. Its nothing.

Um.

The 2 piece bonus is absolutely useless, I'll agree with you there. The 4 piece is incredibly good.
    You think getting a CD back 15 seconds earlier matters? How? On what fight? Extending them a bit would at least have the effect that when you do need them, they are slightly more potent.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 01-18-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Ascendant

Stopped reading here. Obvious troll. Kind of unlike you.

Let's pretend you were serious. Lets say a boss hits a tank once, for 4000, which is a light tap for 7% of your health. With this bonus, you would heal that damage after Planar Striking 50 times. Its not even trickle healing. Its nothing.
    Compare to the other tanking 2 pieces. They pretty much all suck.

You think getting a CD back 15 seconds earlier matters? How? On what fight? Extending them a bit would at least have the effect that when you do need them, they are slightly more potent.
    Ever here are CD rotations? 15 second early, is pretty significant.

You think getting a CD back 15 seconds earlier matters? How? On what fight?
    Uh... all of them? I don't even know how to answer this without sounding patronizing.

It's not only a good set bonus-- it's the best set bonus we've ever had by a significant margin.

Compare to the other tanking 2 pieces. They pretty much all suck.
    Yes, but the other set bonuses at least aren't useless. The current 2-piece bonus will never, ever let your healers heal you less. Even a slight damage boost would at least be useful.
    Last edited by Muspel; 01-18-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Uh... all of them? I don't even know how to answer this without sounding patronizing.

It's not only a good set bonus-- it's the best set bonus we've ever had by a significant margin.

Yes, but the other set bonuses at least aren't useless. The current 2-piece bonus will never, ever let your healers heal you less. Even a slight damage boost would at least be useful.
    I didn't think you or anyone else actually spammed their CDs on rotation the instant they came up. Surely you don't actually do that.

You should time CDs with raid events or near-death experiences.
    • If the boss is doing a tank-killer mechanic (breath, cleave, etc)
    • If you anticipate the boss is going to increase damage or diminish your incoming healing
    • If a healer dies or something else goes wrong
    • If the raid is taking heavy AOE damage (to let healers heal the raid more)

Unless those things are happening in such a manner that they time out perfectly to align with your 15s shorter CD, this bonus is not helpful. At the very best, you could say it is highly, highly situational.

Even if you're chaining CDs (to prolong an enrage or something), this bonus doesn't help you. You'll run out of CDs exactly when you would have anyway.

Ever here are CD rotations? 15 second early, is pretty significant.
    You could be right. Can you name a fight where it times out that the 15s bonus helps you? Maybe I haven't reached the encounter yet where it would help.

I didn't think you or anyone else actually spammed their CDs on rotation the instant they came up. Surely you don't actually do that.

You should time CDs with raid events or near-death experiences.
    • If the boss is doing a tank-killer mechanic (breath, cleave, etc)
    • If you anticipate the boss is going to increase damage or diminish your incoming healing
    • If a healer dies or something else goes wrong
    • If the raid is taking heavy AOE damage (to let healers heal the raid more)

Unless those things are happening in such a manner that they time out perfectly to align with your 15s shorter CD, this bonus is not helpful. At the very best, you could say it is highly, highly situational.

Even if you're chaining CDs (to prolong an enrage or something), this bonus doesn't help you. You'll run out of CDs exactly when you would have anyway.

You could be right. Can you name a fight where it times out that the 15s bonus helps you? Maybe I haven't reached the encounter yet where it would help.
    We have 6 CD from the RS soul. having CDReduction on your best two means there will be situations in which you will be able to use one of those instead of having to rely on PA or DD.

Using your logic we can say that upgrading a piece of gear for 1k more armor or HP is useless unless you can tell me an encounter in which you frequently die to a 500 damage overkill. In progression, every little counts and as soon as you learn the fight and how your guild plays it, you will understand when to use those CDs.

Also, specifically in StS, I rather have the CD than the duration. In my experience I usually need it up just 1-2 to mitigate one hit for the healers to top me back up. the rest of the duration I just get over heals.

+ Reply to Thread