+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tanking: What am I doing Wrong?!?!

Soulwalker

Default Tanking: What am I doing Wrong?!?!

I'm lvl 57

I am running into an issue Tanking with my Rogue. I go into these lvl 56-60 or 57-60 dungeons and I am getting 2-3 shotted. This happens right from the start of the fight. From the very first hit ill lose 1/3 to 1/2 my hp and continues to happen throughout the fight. I am wondering what is wrong with my stats that this is happening. Rift says that all you need is 50 toughness to do these dungeons, but I have 124. So, I'm not sure why I'm getting destroyed.

My stats with my own buffs on my toon: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eu11yp&s=6
    My Spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...fhszqz.x0o.-10

Any useful help would be nice.
    Last edited by WhiteDragon32; 01-16-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Well, you're using the wrong spec, for starters. Use 8ranger/7bard for subsouls, and pump everything else into Riftstalker.

Are you using your defensive cooldowns?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Well, you're using the wrong spec, for starters. Use 8ranger/7bard for subsouls, and pump everything else into Riftstalker.

Are you using your defensive cooldowns?
    Yes i am using my CDs, but you don't have CDs to last the whole fight and this happens a LOT during the fights.

I see the benefits to ranger so ill swap that in here.

Is there anything noticeably wrong with my stats though?
    Last edited by WhiteDragon32; 01-16-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDragon32 View Post
    Yes i am using my CDs, but you don't have CDs to last the whole fight and this happens a LOT during the fights.

I see the benefits to ranger so ill swap that in here.

Is there anything noticeably wrong with my stats though?
    I think the spec will help a decent amount. Other than that, you should get some empyreal stone tank gear. That should help
    \

It's hard to gauge your stats, just because I don't have a good sense of where you should be at for level 58. Your health looks really low, though-- 24k is what you'd see on a geared level 50 tank, and by level 58 you should be far beyond that.

Just to make sure: you're not using level 50 tanking gear, are you? Storm Legion green DPS gear is better than Infernal Dawn relics, just because of how much armor you gain.

Soulwalker

It's hard to gauge your stats, just because I don't have a good sense of where you should be at for level 58. Your health looks really low, though-- 24k is what you'd see on a geared level 50 tank, and by level 58 you should be far beyond that.

Just to make sure: you're not using level 50 tanking gear, are you? Storm Legion green DPS gear is better than Infernal Dawn relics, just because of how much armor you gain.
    nope. im using stuff that i have gotten via Dungeons and Quests after 50. I also picked up several of the PVE gear from the Vendor with Empyreal Sourcestones and have upgraded them. Ill look into seeing if i can get more HP here.

It could be a cooldown rotation issue.

If you find that you're taking too much damage, what you want to do on each trash pack is mark a target for the DPS to single-target down (as opposed to AoEing), and use one cooldown while they kill it. Once a mob is dead, you'll be taking less damage and the healer should be able to keep you up without you needing to use any more CDs.

The timing should work out so that you can use one cooldown per trash pack while holding Defer Death in reserve for emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDragon32 View Post
    nope. im using stuff that i have gotten via Dungeons and Quests after 50. I also picked up several of the PVE gear from the Vendor with Empyreal Sourcestones and have upgraded them. Ill look into seeing if i can get more HP here.
    try spacing out your cd's (until you learn when to time them for fights) with your ports, and dont just use the one finisher, use almost all of them in a rotation. it doesnt take much to get guarded steel up, and keeping *** up on mobs every 15 second can help. as for the cd's, understand the benefit of them and time them better, and like muspel said, DEEP RS, go all in, the 61 point ability not only comes with great tanking gifts, but that cd in itself goes a long way.. use it often, understanding the relationship between phantom blow stacking it and what it does while in use.

done right you can tank even the experts in full pre 60 pvp gear and not notice much of a difference difference.

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

As a cleric at that level, I'm at 27k if the healer has an end buff, using only quest reward gear.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post
    you can tank even the experts in full pre 60 pvp gear and not notice much of a difference difference.
    this is the worst advice i have ever seen on these forums

OP: if you can make sure you have a SL endurance seal, a trinket with endurance, and the lvl 56 rep lesser essences. i believe each one is 15 emp stones and ~3k planarite so its pretty easy to grab 6. if you have spare plat buy 3 auroral resolute runes for even more endurance. GL!

Also, in general, you don't want to queue for a dungeon as soon as it lets you. For instance, even though you can queue for Golem Foundry at level 56, you should wait until at least level 57. Mobs that are higher level than you get a damage bonus (and ignore some of your armor and resistances), while mobs below your level do less damage. Rushing in once you ding over the required level means you're going to have a rough time. It's certainly possible, but it's going to be difficult for most PUG healers to keep you alive.

Soulwalker

Check out Dunsparrow's guide here

http://www.dunsparrow.com/2013/01/05...king/#more-294

Quote Originally Posted by Dreg View Post
    That guide has several problems (most notably the fact that it recommends tact/ranger for 5-mans, when in fact it's worse than bard/ranger in every single way, including anti-attrition).

I'm not the most objective person out there, but I recommend the guide in my signature instead.
    Last edited by Muspel; 01-17-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Soulwalker

That guide has several problems (most notably the fact that it recommends tact/ranger for 5-mans, when in fact it's worse than bard/ranger in every single way, including anti-attrition).

I'm not the most objective person out there, but I recommend the guide in my signature instead.
    it recommends it as an option, but clearly states that bard/ranger is better if your healer is competent. Clearly attrition isn't the OPs problem, hes being 3shot, therefore effective health would be better... if you actually read the guide you'd realize that dun never states that tact/ranger is the only way to do 5 mans. he states its really only a good spec for 5 mans, and even then its not good all of the time.

and your completely non-objective analysis of its viability is also false, and completely factless, it would require 7k sustained HPS from the healer for my level 50 rogue to have better anti-attrition from bard/ranger spec then tact/ranger.

also tact/ranger is also better at mitigation, as 10% more armor and MR is infact mitigation, and 10% more endurance is better effective health... that is inarguable fact. (maybe you should look up what those words mean?)

both specs have their place, but to deny ones viability is plain ignorance. if you're having problems living in 5 mans, i'd probably stick with bard/ranger my self. effective health is king in challenging content.

TL;DR: don't deny someone elses work just because its not your own. especially if you didn't even read it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreg View Post
    it recommends it as an option, but clearly states that bard/ranger is better if your healer is competent. Clearly attrition isn't the OPs problem, hes being 3shot, therefore effective health would be better... if you actually read the guide you'd realize that dun never states that tact/ranger is the only way to do 5 mans. he states its really only a good spec for 5 mans, and even then its not good all of the time.

and your completely non-objective analysis of its viability is also false, and completely factless, it would require 7k sustained HPS from the healer for my level 50 rogue to have better anti-attrition from bard/ranger spec then tact/ranger.

also tact/ranger is also better at mitigation, as 10% more armor and MR is infact mitigation, and 10% more endurance is better effective health... that is inarguable fact. (maybe you should look up what those words mean?)

both specs have their place, but to deny ones viability is plain ignorance. if you're having problems living in 5 mans, i'd probably stick with bard/ranger my self. effective health is king in challenging content.

TL;DR: don't deny someone elses work just because its not your own. especially if you didn't even read it in the first place.
    I did read it.

Tactician/ranger takes less damage, but you're missing the reason that taking less damage is good. Mitigation has two benefits: first, it increases your effective health, and second, it reduces the amount of healing that is required to keep you alive.

Bard/ranger has higher effective health, so it wins on that count. Ordinarily, Tact/ranger's higher mitigation would put it ahead in terms of reducing the amount of healing needed.

Except that bard/ranger also has Stage Presence, which increases incoming healing. Primalthirst has done the math, and so have I-- bard/ranger requires less healing than Tactician/ranger, even when you account for Curative Engine.

Therefore, there's no reason to ever use tact/ranger over bard/ranger, because bard/ranger is better in every way. If you're looking for an anti-attrition spec, then 8tact/7bard requires about 1.5% less healing than ranger/bard, but that build has lower effective health and is therefore spikier, so I still don't recommend it.

Please take the time to do your research before you start condemning people.

EDIT: I said Curative Core, but meant Curative Engine. Fixed now.
    Last edited by Muspel; 01-17-2013 at 11:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast