+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zazen

Thread: New Rogue Questions

Soulwalker

Default New Rogue Questions

I picked up the game a few days ago and am having a good time with my rogue ( lvl 20 assassin). I spent some time reading through the various guides but have still come away with some questions:

1. Is there a build that works well leveling up as well as in end-game content? It seems from the forums that rogues play one way to level up and then respec once they hit 50 (now 60). I like the idea of playing the same way/same build and not getting to some level where I need to switch everything up.

2. I have been following the default recommended assassin build. At what point should I be thinking of ignoring the recommendations and putting the points wherever I want?

3. Are rogues generally either ranged or melee? As an assassin, my abilities are melee based and I ignored my bow until recently. Now, I'm finding some of the fights it's better to pew-pew away rather than get in close.

4. I can check this when I get home, but it just occurred to me, if I am using my bow, do I still get the stat bonuses of my daggers, and vice-versa?

Thanks for any replies.
    Last edited by Gidyean; 01-10-2013 at 06:46 AM.

1. Is there a build that works well leveling up as well as in end-game content?
    - The only soul that really fits that description is nightblade right now. However, that's because of bugs so there are some soul combinations that are performing higher then expected. Things could change.

2. I have been following the default recommended assassin build. At what point should I be thinking of ignoring the recommendations and putting the points wherever I want?
    - Whenever you like it, those are only recommendations.

3. Are rogues generally either ranged or melee? As an assassin, my abilities are melee based and I ignored my bow until recently. Now, I'm finding some of the fights it's better to pew-pew away rather than get in close.
    - There are some players who have a preferred style, either melee or ranged and they stick to those kinds of builds. As a class rogues can be ranged or melee and should be just as good at both roles.

4. I can check this when I get home, but it just occurred to me, if I am using my bow, do I still get the stat bonuses of my daggers, and vice-versa?
    - You always gain the stats from weapons with the exception of weapon dps. While in melee you gain the benefit from your mainhand weapon's weapon dps and when ranged you gain the benefit of your ranged weapon's weapon dps. The offhand weapon is generally just a stat stick (besides auto-attack) with the exception of bladedancer. A lot of bladedancer attacks calculate damage from your offhand.

The track record of Rift is that certain soul combinations outperform others. In a raid environment where people are min-maxing to get the most dps possible small differences are enough to make people all play whichever is the most dps. The top dps build also changes all the time, rogues have gone from ranged, to melee, to ranged, to melee & ranged being both useful and now back to ranged.

For newer players I'd recommend getting a feel for all the souls and how they play. With multiple roles you can switch on the fly to suit the situation. While everyone has their preferred playstyle or soul, I believe the best players are the ones who're most versatile and familiar with all the souls.
    Last edited by Mayi; 01-10-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Seriously, Mayi, you need to change your avatar. It distracts me from the business at hand every time you post in a thread I'm reading.

That better?
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    That better?
    Lol. I can see I'm not making my point clear enough.

+ Reply to Thread