+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Muspel
  • 1 Post By Raynald

Thread: Does the Duelist preset build stay viable 50+?

Soulwalker

Default Does the Duelist preset build stay viable 50+?

So I'm pretty new to the game still and have been leveling pretty much exclusively through questing to this point, level 44. I've been very much enjoying the Duelist (mostly Bladedancer i believe?) build so far and have had no issues with survivability, but have been reading a lot recently about the difficulty jumping up when you hit Storm Legion zones. Should I be good sticking with this path or would it be wise to start getting used to a more productive 50+ spec? Thanks in advance.

I can't say it won't work, but I can say the premade specs always under perform the min/maxed specs out there in the rogue guides forums.

Some say blard is the way to go (which i did enjoy playing) but i used a bladanacer/rift stalker variant taht used 4 in tactician for the self heal. I enjoyed both for their own reasons and if your doing alot of soloing I would suggest picking both up to find which you enjoy more.

Then at 60, you are going to need dungeon specs so keep your favorite and ditch the other in place of your tank spec, support spec, PVP spec and DPS spec.

All of the premade builds are bad. Please, do not use them.

I'd suggest keeping it simple. Use this as your starting point:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#B/Tf/t8g

Then spend the rest of the points however you like. I'd suggest trying out different souls to get a feel for how they all play. You may have found something you like but your next try you might find something even better.

One of the best things about Rift is the soul system. Once you're max level you can worry about min-maxed builds, but in the meantime you can change roles to keep the game fresh. Then with multiple role slots you can change on the fly to suit the situation.

About the build, 8 into RS for the self heal (I wouldn't suggest using guardian phase all the time) and 4 into tactician for the heal when you get hit ability. I put the 4 points into tactician into increasing magical damage but if you combine it with a physical damage soul then put them into armor and resists instead. So armor for assassin, bladedancer, MM, Ranger (sab can go either way) and non-magical damage for nightblade, tactician and bard (though bard's dps will probably be too low to solo effectively).

You can't go wrong with a solo build if you spend those 14 points like I said, and it'll allow you to experiment with the different souls.

P.S. - in general I've found tactician very effective for soloing.
    Last edited by Mayi; 01-10-2013 at 06:51 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    All of the premade builds are bad. Please, do not use them.
    I can appreciate this sentiment, but it is difficult to find a leveling spec from level 1. Any suggestions on where to look?

For example I want to play my rogue as melee. The callings don't have anything that look good, but I have no idea where to look as I am not finding anything on the forums. Most leveling guides are 50+.
    First off, realize that most of the people who complain on the forums don't know why they're complaining. They complain because someone else did, and they're following the crowd. ~Harmil

Quote Originally Posted by Witless View Post
    I can appreciate this sentiment, but it is difficult to find a leveling spec from level 1. Any suggestions on where to look?

For example I want to play my rogue as melee. The callings don't have anything that look good, but I have no idea where to look as I am not finding anything on the forums. Most leveling guides are 50+.
    8RS/4Tactician is the foundation for most soloing builds. Once you have those, throw your points into either Nightblade or Bladedancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    8RS/4Tactician is the foundation for most soloing builds. Once you have those, throw your points into either Nightblade or Bladedancer.
    LOL. Thanks!

I seen 8RS/4Tact mentioned before and it just never clicked as starting out there and then dump the rest in the main soul type you want. Feel pretty stupid,
    First off, realize that most of the people who complain on the forums don't know why they're complaining. They complain because someone else did, and they're following the crowd. ~Harmil

You can also put more points into Riftstalker if you run into survivability issues. The bonus armor and resists can be helpful at higher levels, but you want to strike a balance between defense and damage.

Guess I should have kept my first answer to one sentence.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Guess I should have kept my first answer to one sentence.
    Nah you were fine. It was one of those things where I clicked on your link before reading the rest of your post. When I only saw 12 pts I was like crap his link is incomplete.

EBKAC

I'm not sure if this or your last pic was worse Mayi... -_- lol

I'd recommend once you've gotten used to a spec, start looking to try out others with your other role options. This is more of a selfish complaint, but I've had players who tell me they've only played, say, ranger all their game life and can't be bothered/are unwilling to take one for the team (be that team dungeon run or raid) and swap to something more productive.

If you (and by you I don't mean specifically the op) are unwilling to try out various specs and learn them, then you're missing a big chunk of the point of playin Rift over other MMO's imo.
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Raynald View Post
    I'm not sure if this or your last pic was worse Mayi... -_- lol

I'd recommend once you've gotten used to a spec, start looking to try out others with your other role options. This is more of a selfish complaint, but I've had players who tell me they've only played, say, ranger all their game life and can't be bothered/are unwilling to take one for the team (be that team dungeon run or raid) and swap to something more productive.

If you (and by you I don't mean specifically the op) are unwilling to try out various specs and learn them, then you're missing a big chunk of the point of playin Rift over other MMO's imo.
    Actually I think that is good advise. I know I tend to look at one soul, one role, one build. Guess I'm still used to just picking a role and playing. I actually think this was what turned me off to Rift the first time playing. Now I'm trying and have at least 2 roles for each class

+ Reply to Thread