+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This has probably been asked dozens of times now but...

Soulwalker

Default This has probably been asked dozens of times now but...

Hi all,

So back to Rift now after being a year away to try out the new expansion. I've leveled a rogue to 42, am having fun with it. Using Granpa's build from this thread. It's great for leveling, all my guildmates/friends are talking about how much fun they're having with their new class/roles as well. We decided to chain run some dungeons last night to try out everything we can do, I was really happy with Rogue tanking. Then when it was my turn to dps I was blown away... At how bad I was compared to the new Tempest Warrior soul and even the cleric and mage were doing better than me. Granted this could be a lack of familiarity with the class/soul and maybe shouldn't be spamming macros and using abilities according to situations but I don't understand how they can be consistently doubling my dps. They average about 1400-2k while I sit around 600 to 1.2k depending on the pull.

So after explaining the situation my question is simply this, what is the best dps melee rogue soul? I know there's no such thing and that we have 6 slots to mess around with depending on the situation, but I find it ridic that they can put out that much damage in comparable item level gear compared to me. And yes I've been paring through the forums for the last 2 hours looking at guides and threads but I can't seem to find a general consensus on what to use. The debates is all over the place with BD/Sin builds or NB/Sin or even Sin/whatever. Just by casually looking through the tree I can tell Sin focuses a lot on ST but that doesn't help with most 5 man pulls where there's plenty of AOE.

Any input from the vets would be greatly appreciated and I'm sorry if this just sounds like a whine thread but I would really like some help in figuring this out.

Thanks.

Most of the rogue DPS souls are missing core abilities and talents at lower levels, which is part of why you're seeing low numbers. For instance, Bladedancer is crap until level 50, because you're unable to maintain 100% dance uptime.

Nightblade is probably going to be the most effective melee DPS soul at low levels, just because you have most of the core DPS abilities you need. Maybe assassin is better, although even if it is, the lack of any AoE will sharply limit its usefulness. Once you hit 50, I'd expect Bladedancer to pull ahead, assuming you rotate through the dances properly-- with Blade and Soul Parity, you're able to get through a full sequence with only a 3-second deadzone.
    Last edited by Muspel; 12-31-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Soulwalker

Well that makes sense. Thank you Muspel. I'm actually using your tanking build, it rocks.

Then my next question would be should I just go ranged as it seems to be a popular leveling build as well. It's just personal preference for me to go melee.

To be honest, I really have no idea whether or not the ranged souls will do higher damage at low levels. Marksman or Ranger is probably worth a shot, but because I leveled prior to Storm Legion's release, I don't know how they'll perform after the talent tree revamps. My gut tells me that Ranger will do better, because Marksman doesn't have Silver Tip Munitions or Static Shock Munitions until later, but that's really just a guess.
    Last edited by Muspel; 01-01-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Rift Disciple

I think you are high enough that a Mm shoudl work pretty well for you and dump any extra point into ranger. if you're wanting melee though, i know you wont have all the dances but i think BD would still be your best choice for trash and would work decently for bosses even tho NB would prob be a lil better for bosses

Quote Originally Posted by PopeOrGod View Post
    I think you are high enough that a Mm shoudl work pretty well for you and dump any extra point into ranger. if you're wanting melee though, i know you wont have all the dances but i think BD would still be your best choice for trash and would work decently for bosses even tho NB would prob be a lil better for bosses
    Without BaSP, Bladedancer isn't really able to stack up Duelist Pose with the crit you have at low levels. That's going to lower AoE DPS significantly, even if you don't consider the lack of the dance uptime.

If he's low and wants to rock melee, wouldn't BD/RS still be a decently viable option?

I'm relatively sure he can tactbard at that level as well relatively easily.

For DPS at those levels though, it may be enough to start going into mm/rng or the other builds on board.
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Raynald View Post
    If he's low and wants to rock melee, wouldn't BD/RS still be a decently viable option?
    I doubt it. BD/RS doesn't work too well even at 60 when you have the points to get the good talents. At lower levels it's even less appealing.

+ Reply to Thread