+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to make a Tactician-Marksman soloist. Can you help me?

Default Trying to make a Tactician-Marksman soloist. Can you help me?

Hey folks.

I'm level 15 right now and basically rerolled on Oceanic so I could find more people to play with.

As such, my rogue is level 15, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to best use Tactician fighting styles to great effect. Based on info from someone in a RIFT Google+ community, I followed a Tactician-Marksman-Riftstalker starting point: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MfCp.L.Vqboz.-11

Not sure where to go from here though, so I went to Magelo and reread the descriptions. How viable or useful would a build like this be? http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#A...8FBhlkxul0/t8g

Also, is there a way to make a spam-healer type of Rogue for group content using Tactician and other souls?

Thanks in advance!
    Butt-kicking for goodness! -Minsc, Baldur's Gate series

Visit my blog, Games and Geekery. I talk about MMOs, other games, and assorted bits of collected geekery.

Rift Chaser

At level 15 the best build to get a feel for torrents would probably be something like 4 bard, 15 tact. The talents in MM that really help tact damage are too high and the ap\wep damage from RS is not as good as it looks with level 15 gear. Just take all the magic/ae damage points you can and all the torrent points you can at that level. Torrents are the mainstay of tact soloing (along with effortless self heals).

Quote Originally Posted by ChelequaRom View Post
    At level 15 the best build to get a feel for torrents would probably be something like 4 bard, 15 tact. The talents in MM that really help tact damage are too high and the ap\wep damage from RS is not as good as it looks with level 15 gear. Just take all the magic/ae damage points you can and all the torrent points you can at that level. Torrents are the mainstay of tact soloing (along with effortless self heals).
    So while leveling, I try to use Tactician Bard? What's the third soul, and how would I progress to 30-40 with the TacBard?

Visit my blog, Games and Geekery. I talk about MMOs, other games, and assorted bits of collected geekery.

Rift Chaser

tact/bard is probably not as good 30-40 as it is sub 20 and plus 50. At thirty you can reach sniper training in MM and unless you are dieing a lot and not gearing up well MM probably will be faster leveling for you than bard from then on. I soloed 50+ with tact/bard hybrids a lot because you can pretty much kill anything without kiting if you have the patience.

yeah.. honestly.. to level up through the game and do it at a consistent pace, you will be swapping specs often.. you could try going bard the whole way... but this will simply take a looooong time. at early levels(before 30) i would try something like some ranger, for a tanking pig, with a bit of bard/tact in it. after 30, some cheap nb or bd/rs and a touch of tact will let you move fast, aoe often, and give you some decent dps while self healing. (sin would be an option, but it lacks the aoe), once you hit in the 50's you can go with a heavy tact and bard back up, using rs as third soul, or start building the 41 tact/35 mm (at earlier levels you will want to take from mm and put points into rs or something, for rift scavenger and better survivability, then once you hit 60 you can go full 41/tact/35mm).

though it is possible to go with almost the same spec the whole way to 60 from the start, it really will have some issues, and be slow in some areas. better to diversify, for speed, and to better understand the various souls.

Plane Touched

What was stated above about trying out and needing different builds is true in a lot of ways. However, if you're looking for a Tac/MM/RS build, I'd start here at level 15:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MfCp.M.Va.Vc.-11

Main things are Curative Engine and Necrotic Core from Tac, Boosted Recovery from Riftstalker, and I picked up Hasted Shot for a non-cast ranged finisher.

Also stated above was that you have to go a ways into MM to get solid dps boosts, which is true. The big ones for Tac that will help is Sniper Training and Killer Instinct, which increase crit and damage for channeled and cast time attacks, which will take 20 points to max out, after which I'd just fill the rest of Tac on the way to 60.

Level 30: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...00Vb.Va.Vc.-11
    Level 40: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...qbkg00z.Vc.-11
    Level 50: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...keb0uoq.Vc.-11

Someone more well versed with Tactician than I might offer suggestions as to better point distribution, however.
    Last edited by Caelan; 12-27-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    Skiet - Kelari Rogue - Fires of Heaven - Deepwood

Thanks a lot, Daglar.

Rift Chaser

I just came back to storm legion about 2 weeks ago I working on level 50 gotten to level 54 and I been working a bunch of different solo builds and man believe it or not my best success for soloing is been tact-riftstalker.

Yes I use blink to the enemies to activate armors and build combo points for torrent primer or pull of a heal if I need it. My single target and aoe are torrents when you hit 40 in tact the necrotic bolt when they hit 30% health is just gravy

Been a lot of fun just something to think about

Hey there,

On my rogue (now 58) when I'm not running around Warfronts blowing things up with Saboteur I primarily use 48 Tact/ 23 (21atm) NB/ 5 Marks.

Link here : 48Tact/ 23NB/ 0MM
    ------------------------------------
    My bars are setup as such:

Alt1-6 / F1-6
    1-6 / C V B R F `
    -------------------------------------

1- Glacial Torrent- Used for AE dmg, Snare and Block opponents, Adds stacks of Glacial Chill.
    2- Infernal Torrent - AE DMG, Scares Opponents, Puts you high on the "to-kill" list.
    3- Combo Point Macro - Currative Remote > Infernal Beam > Empyrean Bolt
    4- Empyrean Ray
    5- Necrotic Ray
    6- Dusk Strike/Swift Shot macro, (Some quick dmg or movement buff)

(Stealth Bar Setup)
    1- Lost Hope (Sap)
    2- Ebon Terror (Short Sap if targets in combat)
    3- Glacial Torrent (Never know when you'll be stealthed and need the utility of it).
    4- Dark Malady (DMG BUFF!) My primary opener from stealth.

(*Keys C thru Tidle are Identical to primary setup*)

Defensive Abilities:
    C- Break Free > On the Double Macro
    V- Cleanse Soul (War PA Tree)
    B- Barrier Remote

Offensive Abilities:
    R- Torrent Primer
    F- Battle Remote

Executes:
    `(Tidle) - [alt] Necrotic Torrent / Necrotic Bolt

Alt Keys:
    A1- Necrotic Core
    A2- Curative Core
    A3- Power Core
    A4- Anathema - Heal Debuff (War PA Tree)
    A5&6 Extra Utility Spots

F Keys:
    F1- Curative Blast - I use this at 5cp when myself or team is taking a beating to help healer (normally drop Curative Core after).
    F2- Mass Repulsion (AE Knockback)
    F3- Conceal (STEALTH BABY)
    F4-6 - Various potions/usable items

Buffs:
    Empyrean Engine
    Energy Alteration
    Hellfire Blades (little extra dmg helps)

So far I have found much success with this build. PvP Tip: Know when to use your torrents (Cycle Glacial and Infernal) as Infernal Torrent is like a big "OH **** KILL THAT GUY!" sign your holding up. Even with that said, Torrents are very impressive. Nothing better then standing there with torrents roaring keeping the opposing team at bay.

Single Target Rotation

Curative Remote > Infernal Beam > Empyrean Bolt (will do aoe at target) > 5cp Curative Blast+Core if your getting hurt, if not 5cp Primer + Battle Remote + Power Core > Glacial Torrent > Infernal Torrent (repeat in order twice) > Empyrean Bolt for CP > Empyrean Ray > Necrotic Bolt spam under 30%.

AoE Rotation

Only difference- Instead of using Empyrean Ray finisher use Necrotic Ray finisher and Necrotic Torrent; Necrotic Bolt will still be used for picking off key single targets.

Hope this helps,

Burningdeath- 58 Tactian Rogue 48Tact/23NB/5MM
    Dvalin- 56 Lifebringer Mage 48Harb/28Chloro/0Arch
    Troggdor- 52 Tempest Warrior 61Temp/15RB/0Para
    of <DoubleTap> @Seastone
    Last edited by Oogrok; 12-28-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Soulwalker

To the OP:

I have had great success with "The Martian" build.

Hey folks!

Thanks for the ideas! I'm now level 28 following my own sort of path based off of your inputs. Using zero RS for free teleport, I'm basically capitalizing on Tactician MM synergy to get me through most areas.

I do have a problem with some quests though, namely the Saga of the Endless Quest for Meridian. My torrents don't seem to hit one of the Towers, so I'm looking at getting a melee role set up that would allow me to solo the enemies at 28 AND hit the towers so they dont regen.

Ideas? Was considering Assassin or Riftstalker, but not sure what's feasible as an emergency build at level 30.

perhaps bd.. gives you survivability options, mobility, freedom of movement when needs, and twin strike w/ reprisal is decent for melee solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post
    perhaps bd.. gives you survivability options, mobility, freedom of movement when needs, and twin strike w/ reprisal is decent for melee solo.
    Have you a level 30 build I can study for later on?

sorry.. haha, I kind of leveled back in vanilla on founders week, and haven't looked back. I leveled as pure bard.. which took forever back then I can tell you, and we did not have Tactician.

To get the most from bd for leveling doesn't take many points.

you could take a route like http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....xc.VcTz0z.-11

or similar at 30. The object is to have decent st and aoe dps, to be able to self heal a bit, and reduce any down time while leveling. A build like this offers some movement options, with warps and flash of steel (this also gets you unstuck from snares and such). There are soo many ways to go, you could even use nb, and then spend the points in 8 tact for + to non physical dmg.

for macros, sit on a dummy and find out which melee attacks do more dmg for you from the different souls, then use that in macro. add in your ranged empyrean bolt for grabbing distant mobs. make an "melee aoe button" using twin strike, rift disturbance, reprisal, then use finishers as needed. don't forget, to keep the mob with the least health as your main target for better self healing. You also can drop some cores for dps/healing. where you go from there is anybody's guess, totally up to you, starting to feel squishy? drop some more into rs or tact (up to barrier remote), want more massive aoe? put more into tact, want more st dps, drop more into your bd/nb soul.
    Last edited by Mirimon; 12-31-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post
    sorry.. haha, I kind of leveled back in vanilla on founders week, and haven't looked back. I leveled as pure bard.. which took forever back then I can tell you, and we did not have Tactician.

To get the most from bd for leveling doesn't take many points.

you could take a route like http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....xc.VcTz0z.-11

or similar at 30. The object is to have decent st and aoe dps, to be able to self heal a bit, and reduce any down time while leveling. A build like this offers some movement options, with warps and flash of steel (this also gets you unstuck from snares and such). There are soo many ways to go, you could even use nb, and then spend the points in 8 tact for + to non physical dmg.

for macros, sit on a dummy and find out which melee attacks do more dmg for you from the different souls, then use that in macro. add in your ranged empyrean bolt for grabbing distant mobs. make an "melee aoe button" using twin strike, rift disturbance, reprisal, then use finishers as needed. don't forget, to keep the mob with the least health as your main target for better self healing. You also can drop some cores for dps/healing. where you go from there is anybody's guess, totally up to you, starting to feel squishy? drop some more into rs or tact (up to barrier remote), want more massive aoe? put more into tact, want more st dps, drop more into your bd/nb soul.
    Thanks for the tips! btw, I've never used a macro before (I'm silly, I know)... and my forum-searching fu is kinda weak right now.

How do I make a macro?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
    Thanks for the tips! btw, I've never used a macro before (I'm silly, I know)... and my forum-searching fu is kinda weak right now.

How do I make a macro?
    i would say read through the guides section, all include posts on various macros. using this information, you can deduce a few things about macros. Like, you cannot have more than one of certain types of abilities in a single macro. let's say, I wanted a few abilities in one button, I need to make it do things like:

/cast x attack (this will be the basic most function, instant ability with no cd)
    /cast y attack (this would be some ability with a cool down)
    /cast z attack (another ability with some sort of a cool down, or available based on a proc)

by placing macros in this order.. the bottom most function has priority in the sequence. hitting the button once causes Z to go off and start the cd, hit a 2nd time for Y to occur, then any additional button presses whole those are on cd will cause X to be used until those previous abilities come off cd.

most "builds" havea set of macros already made by somebody, i would say copy those and play with them a bit until you get better accustomed to them. luckily, rogue doesn't use nearly as many abilities as other classes do for macros.

+ Reply to Thread