+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smoothing out Ranger

Default Smoothing out Ranger

Hello Trion

yep this is a complaint thread.

I have two points.

1. Some ranger abilities need a re-deisgn:

- Ace Shot: this is awkward. can you please either A. Make this an attack that Replaces Quick shot or B. Make Ace shot a passive ability that is applied by Quick shot. Simplification please.

- Splinter shot: who's bright idea was it to make all these 5-15s CD's abilities all instant cast? please A. Put splinter shot back onto it's 10s CD with 2-combo points .. or B. Make Splinters a buff that makes Quick Shot apply it's 30% bleed like it used to.

- Rain of Arrows: this will probably be a bit controversial.. when not convert this to a AOE finisher to compliment Trick shot? and put concussive blast simply as an interupt...

- Piercing Shot: does anyone even use this ability aside form solo-situations? This ability would be worth while if it actually did more damage than quick shot .... or Equal to quick but ignores armor ... OR a passive buff that makes rnager attacks ignore x% of armor similar to Marksman Rending munitions.

2. Have one spec that my kids can play:

It would be nice if there was at least 1 soul per class that was a no-brainer to play, my kids would enjoy that. Something easy and straight forward and typical 2-button play style. I think with my above recommendations Ranger could be that for rogues.
    Xerise, Eliana, Eurydice, Rissa and December
    http://www.direman.com/everwas/index.php

Soulwalker

Default This is the prob with rogues

:alien:Every time thay change the specs to b fun and not just mash the same botton over and over you guys complain till thay make it as boring as thay can make it I get that you want a spec that is easy for your Kids and I don't intend to b mean but if thay can't handle a 5-6 botton rotation at most maby rift isn't the game for them if thay can't handle a simple rotation how are thay gana do interrupts or not stand in bad

Again sry if I sound mean

ShananagnZz

To OP. Both MM and Sabo are "no brainer" builds. If you or your kids have issues with said builds then you are looking for something that plays itself. These are called movies and you can get them on Netflix.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    To OP. Both MM and Sabo are "no brainer" builds. If you or your kids have issues with said builds then you are looking for something that plays itself. These are called movies and you can get them on Netflix.
    Starting off as a Rogue Saboteur is not a "no brainer", with no decent guide it can take a lot of trial and error to properly use once you understand saboteur its easy. With all the stuff going on in a saboteur build it's daunting to take on, that's just my opinion as a new rogue though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorpen View Post
    Starting off as a Rogue Saboteur is not a "no brainer", with no decent guide it can take a lot of trial and error to properly use once you understand saboteur its easy. With all the stuff going on in a saboteur build it's daunting to take on, that's just my opinion as a new rogue though.
    It's a good thing that there's a 2-button Sab guide on the forums, then.

Anyways, the last thing rogues need is dumbed down rotations. Ranger, Marksman, and Bladedancer are much too simple and easy even now.

Quote Originally Posted by remilafo View Post
    - Piercing Shot: does anyone even use this ability aside form solo-situations? This ability would be worth while if it actually did more damage than quick shot .... or Equal to quick but ignores armor ... OR a passive buff that makes rnager attacks ignore x% of armor similar to Marksman Rending munitions.
    You have to be joking. Piercing Shot is one of the most compelling reasons to use Ranger in a raid, because of how invaluable it is.

You're basically complaining that you can't stick everything on one button and mash it forever. That means the design is working as intended-- you're supposed to have to actually look at what you're doing while DPSing.
    Last edited by Muspel; 12-20-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Have you seen the 2 button sabo spec guide? It is stupid easy. Yeah you can do a thing here or there to optimize things but in it's basic form it is the hands down easiest dps build Rogues have atm.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

I played a Rogue DPS spec once in Chocolate.
    I subsequently fell asleep, smacked my head on the keyboard and invented the phrase 'yolo'

Such extreme repetition, boredom and evil should not be allowed to exist again.
    Nope.

It would be nice if there was at least 1 soul per class that was a no-brainer to play, my kids would enjoy that. Something easy and straight forward and typical 2-button play style. I think with my above recommendations Ranger could be that for rogues.
    As someone who started gaming around age 4 and picked up online gaming around 11, I take offense to this. Gamer kids can hang better than you might think some can~

Then again, I guess when I was a kid the controller only had 6 buttons + an arrow pad :| Well, after I upgraded from the sick 2 button controller~

My 8 year old self stands against this.
    Last edited by Violacea; 12-20-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Hello Trion

yep this is a complaint thread.

I have two points.

1. Some ranger abilities need a re-deisgn:

- Ace Shot: this is awkward. can you please either A. Make this an attack that Replaces Quick shot or B. Make Ace shot a passive ability that is applied by Quick shot. Simplification please.

- Splinter shot: who's bright idea was it to make all these 5-15s CD's abilities all instant cast? please A. Put splinter shot back onto it's 10s CD with 2-combo points .. or B. Make Splinters a buff that makes Quick Shot apply it's 30% bleed like it used to.

- Rain of Arrows: this will probably be a bit controversial.. when not convert this to a AOE finisher to compliment Trick shot? and put concussive blast simply as an interupt...

I play a Ranger as my main spec and have done so for a long time. I would not want a single one of these changes. This is not to say there are not changes I would like for Ranger but these are not among them.

In fact only one of these abilities would I like to see changed and that is "Rain of Arrows". I would like it to be a targetted channel rather than a ground channel or make it hit all targets in the AoE. Not 5, not 8 but all targets.

I would also like my tank pets AoE taunt to be much improved.
    Last edited by millie; 12-20-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    There are eight species of Bear (Ursidae): Arctos, Americanus, Thibetanus, Maritimus, Helarctos, Melonleuca, Ornatus, Malayanus, Ursinus.
    Koalas are not one of them, not even close.

Hello Trion

They could probably make more casts amenable to macroing via a command-line argument (or prefixing) mechanism:

Have an argument that can be applied to CHANNELED commands that will cause the player to halt their movement and accept no further keyboard input so that the channel is not interrupted by moving or by pressing the macro button again. (They would still be able to jump to cancel the channel).
    Have an argument that can be applied to DOTs that will cause the DOT to not be executed if it is currently active on the enemy.

Things like these would allow more commands to go into a single macro button, and allow your kids to play more easily.

On the other hand, I would encourage Trion to give us at least one difficult-to-play soul for each class, which would reward the player who puts in the effort to learn how to play it. This might be reminiscent of the Warden class of LOTRO, where you have to learn a lot of key sequences to play the class effectively, and yet it was perhaps the most powerful class when well-played.

Have you seen the 2 button sabo spec guide? It is stupid easy. Yeah you can do a thing here or there to optimize things but in it's basic form it is the hands down easiest dps build Rogues have atm.
    As I said no decent guide.

As I said no decent guide.
    Actually it is a damn good guide. I am just the type of person who cares about not wasting say rapid set up, which over a zone wide is minimal dps I just have OCD. If you have that kind of OCD you don't need guides. If you NEED guides you don't have that kind of OCD so it doesn't matter. Thank you for proving you are simply trolling the thread.

Actually it is a damn good guide. I am just the type of person who cares about not wasting say rapid set up, which over a zone wide is minimal dps I just have OCD. If you have that kind of OCD you don't need guides. If you NEED guides you don't have that kind of OCD so it doesn't matter. Thank you for proving you are simply trolling the thread.
    My idea of a guide is to give information for those that need it, to show them the way. Looking through that thread I didn't see much of that. I saw the original poster bragging a lot and people telling those that needed information in a guide section that they are idiots. Not much information put together in a good way to show people that need it how to work things out (kind of the point of a guide).

Instead of asking a question or shooting a PM to understand what I'm trying to say you accuse me of trolling. Very classy.

Have you played MMOs before? I will assume not. It is rare to find a guide that does more than show build>macros>rotation then at some point MAYBE trumpet it's effectiveness. The best of them may change things if you can prove something is not optimal but they are not going to go on a step by step explanation as to WHY the build works according to in game mechanics. Sorry but if you expect guides to do otherwise you are going to find little more than disappointment.

To boot this is irrelevant. The challenge was show me an easy build. We did. You can try it and see or you can chose to ignore it because you don't like the min/max writer mentality. Sorry but for player written guides you have to accept that mentality because only a min/maxer is going to 1. Take the time to figure out a build and rotation then write it and 2. If I am entirely honest have enough ego to even consider posting a "guide" on how to play a game. Your complaint basically seems to be like the following analogy..."I don't just want to learn how to drive, I want the instructor to show me how the internal combustion engine, drive train and steering linkage work as well."
    Last edited by Galibier; 12-21-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Have you played MMOs before? I will assume not. It is rare to find a guide that does more than show build>macros>rotation then at some point MAYBE trumpet it's effectiveness. The best of them may change things if you can prove something is not optimal but they are not going to go on a step by step explanation as to WHY the build works according to in game mechanics. Sorry but if you expect guides to do otherwise you are going to find little more than disappointment.

To boot this is irrelevant. The challenge was show me an easy build. We did. You can try it and see or you can chose to ignore it because you don't like the min/max writer mentality. Sorry but for player written guides you have to accept that mentality because only a min/maxer is going to 1. Take the time to figure out a build and rotation then write it and 2. If I am entirely honest have enough ego to even consider posting a "guide" on how to play a game. Your complaint basically seems to be like the following analogy..."I don't just want to learn how to drive, I want the instructor to show me how the internal combustion engine, drive train and steering linkage work as well."
    I never said I wanted the guide to do otherwise I just said it did a poor job in sharing information, all the other guides I read through on the guides forum did a pretty good job in describing build macro and utility, 2 button sab not so much. My complaint is nothing like that analogy. I agree you showed OP an easy build but I was just voicing my opinion that the sab build takes more time to figure out due to poor guides compared to MM or bladedancer.

Without veering the thread further off course you can continue to prove me wrong in PMs or just keep insulting me with analogies that have nothing to do with my point, either would be appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast