+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Riftstalker tanking on Gelidra adds (issue)

  1. #1
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default Riftstalker tanking on Gelidra adds (issue)

    I realize most guilds use a cleric tank to pick up the adds(small birds), but there seems to be an aggro issue for riftstalkers to pick up the adds if you do not have the option of a cleric tank. For starters it appears my snap aggro (shadowblitz + rift disturbance + wrath of the plans) seems to not be enough to pick up threat as if the aggro from healers is building from the start of the fight.

    This would be okay if our taunt didn't have a glaring weakness of a short range and only 5 mobs versus other types of tanks having a 10 mob cap. Is it possible to check the threat/aggro of the birds or visit a rank 2 of planar attraction for range/number of mobs?

    I'm very happy with where riftstalker is, but this fight highlights an issue with riftstalker which is unfortunate if you don't have a cleric tank. I am a very solid tank, but it is very challenging to pick them all up and make it to the large birds to take the chain lightnings.

    Any insight? (aside from find a cleric tank)

  2. #2
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    I know it's not the answer you want, but you really should get a cleric tank. Raids are designed with the assumption that you have one of each tank class. Things like Gelidra's adds or Laethys's adds are supposed to be handled by clerics, and anyone else is going to be at a significant disadvantage.

    What you've described isn't a flaw with Riftstalkers or with the encounter, it's the mechanics working as intended to encourage using a cleric tank.

    Ever since Hammerknell, there's been at least one raid encounter each tier that was far easier with a Justicar. I don't think they're planning to break that trend.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default

    While I agree with your premise, I don't think it's unreasonable to make sure all tanks have the tools to be 'able' to do encounters, whether it be significantly less effective or not. I'm completely alright with other tanks being better fits/much easier than riftstalkers for certain encounters, but it does highlight the interesting situation regarding our AoE taunt versus other tanks ^ ^ (or the aggro starts too soon or late when the birds pop). I agree we've just got to find a cleric tank that is very capable, just seems odd riftstalkers are frankly not very good at that encounter as opposed to "not optimal". I appreciate the feedback muspel

  4. #4
    Ascendant Pixel Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,231

    Default

    stack in the middle have the ranged on the galvanics and melee heard the tornado and adds back into the middle, by that time the birds should be down, shake n bake
    who took my names!

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talaren View Post
    While I agree with your premise, I don't think it's unreasonable to make sure all tanks have the tools to be 'able' to do encounters, whether it be significantly less effective or not.
    I disagree. The whole point of having six role slots is so that they CAN design fights that require specific specs (IE drainers on Laethys, or mage tanks on Rune King).

  6. #6
    General of Telara Asaomar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I disagree. The whole point of having six role slots is so that they CAN design fights that require specific specs (IE drainers on Laethys, or mage tanks on Rune King).
    I agree, what is the point of playing a game where everybody is able to be flexible and assume a number of roles within the same class, if you limit yourself to only playing one or two of them?

    For Gelidra we use a cleric and a rogue tank(me), for Zaviel, a warrior and a rogue(me), for the twins, two rogues and two warriors, and for progenitor, a cleric and a rogue(me).
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep@Deepwood http://http://beepbeep.guildlaunch.com
    Asaomar Lv 60 Rogue Tank[Main]-Miniderps Lv 60 Cleric Tank[Alt]-Shederps Lv 60 Mage[Alt]
    Boss Kill videos | My Live Stream
    All T1 Content ClearedGrim Awakening 4/4, Infinity Gate 2/3, Planebreaker Bastion 3/5

  7. #7
    Sword of Telara Gynxz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Raids are designed with the assumption that you have one of each tank class. Things like Gelidra's adds or Laethys's adds are supposed to be handled by clerics, and anyone else is going to be at a significant disadvantage

    You mean a Cleric and 2 whatever Tanks? What encounters have mechanics "supposed to be handled by Rogues/Warrs"? Besides Inquisitor Garau (before they disabled Rogue ports), I dont remember a fight were you "needed", or greatly benefited, from having a Rogue tank. Warrior tanks were needed while they were the only ones providing SO, then Cleric for any fight with adds.

    I don't agree with the assumption of having one of each. Looks more like you need 1 Cleric Tank and a few backups in case the fight needs more tanks. I don't agree with stalling progression on Laethys if you loose your Cleric tank

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Ive also encountered this issue when tanking the adds, granted we *usually* use a cleric tank for the ease at which they can do it, but if you dont use one or yours isnt there on that day, a rogue tank can do it perfectly fine.

    the snap aggro you talked about, when i blink in and do my aoe combo i also notice the adds continue to go towards the raid camp, and the birds have a tendancy to be alittle spread which makes it alittle harder.

    what i usually do is blink on top of the biggest pack of birds, do the standard aoe combo..and follow them. after afew seconds 90% of the birds are on me, the ones that are not i simply blink to, and if there is any that ive missed i single target taunt, its alittle messy and takes a good 2/3 seconds to get them all on you but with a couple of blinks and your taunts you should manage just fine, just dont freak out when you blink the first time and they dont all start attacking you right away.

  9. #9
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gynxz View Post
    You mean a Cleric and 2 whatever Tanks? What encounters have mechanics "supposed to be handled by Rogues/Warrs"? Besides Inquisitor Garau (before they disabled Rogue ports), I dont remember a fight were you "needed", or greatly benefited, from having a Rogue tank.
    Rogue+cleric is the best tank combination for Gelidra, because if the cleric dies, rogues are able to solo soak up to three Lacerating Cascades.

    Warriors need some utility to give them a place to shine, but that's a different discussion for a different thread.

  10. #10
    Sword of Telara Gynxz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Rogue+cleric is the best tank combination for Gelidra, because if the cleric dies, rogues are able to solo soak up to three Lacerating Cascades.

    Warriors need some utility to give them a place to shine, but that's a different discussion for a different thread.
    Being the "best" vs the only alternative is very different. No other tank has ever been "needed" or close to in any fights like you suggest in the next quote or In Laethys. Its poor design, that's my only point. Cleric Aoe Threat is really strong and they dont have a way to "segregate it".

    "Muspel
    I know it's not the answer you want, but you really should get a cleric tank."

  11. #11
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gynxz View Post
    Being the "best" vs the only alternative is very different. No other tank has ever been "needed" or close to in any fights like you suggest in the next quote or In Laethys.
    Mage tanks on Molinar!

    But on a more serious note, while no other tank has been needed, builds other callings have. Rogues and mages were invaluable in ID for things like purges on Warboss (way easier with Marksman), draining on Laethys (can only be done by Dom or Assassin), interrupts on Maklamos, or squirreling Rusila's adds.

    Warriors definitely got the short end of the stick, and that's one of the reasons why I think they need to add some utility to some of their builds, but that's not an argument to limit encounter design.

    Also, warriors can tank Gelidra's adds with their AoE taunt. It's not as easy as it is for clerics, but they can do it. The requirement for the fight is "don't put your rogue on the adds". Given that we're the best tank outside of the add phase by a long shot, being weaker during it seems like a fair trade-off.

  12. #12
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    261

    Default

    just place ur port infront of the invisible door and ur good its really easy as rogue tank

  13. #13
    Ascendant MoonfireSpam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,730

    Default

    iunno. +3200 hp for 20s raid wide came in handy on more than a few occasions.

    Especially since large spikes in raid damage are usually predictable.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

  14. #14
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    iunno. +3200 hp for 20s raid wide came in handy on more than a few occasions.

    Especially since large spikes in raid damage are usually predictable.
    I just wish they'd remove the travel time on it. It's annoying to have a 3 second delay before it affects people.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Posts
    14

    Default

    My guild stepped into 20m for the first time last night. Rogue tank tanked the adds without any problems.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts