• 1 Post By Gynxz
  • 1 Post By Raynald
  • 2 Post By Dhamp
  • 1 Post By Mayi
  • 1 Post By Redcruxs

Thread: 12 questions from a new player

Telaran

Default 12 questions from a new player

I'm new to the game (~3 months) and I have a few questions for the more experienced and knowledgeable players.

1. I see that target dummies come in many different flavors/levels. Is there a specific kind of target dummy that people are using when comparing their DPS? Does it matter? In SL, is TB the only place to find dummies?

2. I installed a bunch of different DPS meter addons. For whatever reason, they all seem to produce slightly different results. Is there a consensus as to which one produces the most accurate results?

3. Is there an addon or program that will tell me what kind of rotation someone is using?

4. Is there an addon or program that will tell me someone else's stats?

5. How much does planar attunement affect DPS? I'm only about half way to max right now. I've been mainly focusing on +Dex/AP. I picked up the +AP weapon buff which I have on all the time. I'm curious how much DPS I'm missing out on by not being maxed.

6. How much does latency affect DPS? I'm running an average of 100ms.

7. What does "clipping" mean? And what's the main reason for doing this?

8. Is there an addon that will give me a nice real-time summary of abilities that a mob or boss is using, how much damage the abilities are doing, how often they are occurring, etc?

9. When people say "raid buffed", what does this mean exactly? What's the difference between the buffs you'd have in a raid vs the buffs you'd have in a 5-man? What are some of the essential buffs that every rogue should be using?

10. This one is a bit vague. I see a lot of item stat comparison but I rarely see any talk about weapon DPS. How important is weapon DPS vs all other stats.

11. I missed out on the conquest trinket. What are my options? Skull of Damnation? Spectral Hand?

12. And finally, the most important question of all, where can I find a good looking black hood/cloak/robe costume. Something sinister.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wole View Post
    1. I see that target dummies come in many different flavors/levels. Is there a specific kind of target dummy that people are using when comparing their DPS? Does it matter? In SL, is TB the only place to find dummies?
    As far as I can tell, the only differences are that the expert/raid dummies require 300/400 hit just like enemies in those dungeons, and if it is a higher level you will do less damage because the dummy's armor/resistance is more effective against you. I think the most useful parsing is against level 62 dummies because that's the level of raid enemies, but I can't say if that's what most people use.

You can now purchase dummies that can be set up in dimensions, even the free starter dimension you can get through a quest starting in Sanctum/Meridian, this can provide much more reliable parsing since you can guarantee you won't hit extra dummies when trying to do a ST parse.

2. I installed a bunch of different DPS meter addons. For whatever reason, they all seem to produce slightly different results. Is there a consensus as to which one produces the most accurate results?
    Mainly it depends on whether it is tracking when you start and end combat, or when your party starts and ends combat. If there's a period of time where you're not in combat but the parser is running, that means you will show less DPS than you were actually doing.

The most accurate parser is ACT (http://advancedcombattracker.com/), an out-of-game parser. To make it work you have to add the Rift plugin, then enable the advanced combat log in Rift (/combatlog) and tell ACT where it is, which should be in your Documents/RIFT folder. This log gets disabled whenever you log out so you have to re-enable it.

I've also found that Super Meter seems to parse for your whole party as long as the advanced combat log is active, so it should be pretty accurate. Have not tried other meters.

3. Is there an addon or program that will tell me what kind of rotation someone is using?
    Not specifically, but with ACT you can see exactly when anyone used any power during the fight. Most in-game meters also give you a breakdown of what powers contributed to someone's DPS if you mouseover it, this is usually enough information to figure out their spec.

No EDIT: but if you really want, you can inspect them and add up the stats from all their gear, and then add it to the base stats whatever they are, and assume they have some PA, and THEN take into account what bonuses they might get from their spec or buffs.

5. How much does planar attunement affect DPS? I'm only about half way to max right now. I've been mainly focusing on +Dex/AP. I picked up the +AP weapon buff which I have on all the time. I'm curious how much DPS I'm missing out on by not being maxed.
    PA used to be a big difference in DPS, but it's less significant now because level 60 stats are so much higher, and PA bonuses are the same +1 stat, +2 AP.

Consumables are still more powerful than the PA weapon buff, but it's really only worth using them in raids, the PA buff is plenty for day to day usage (and is essentially free).

This is highly dependent on class and spec. For rogues it's more significant because everything is on a 1 second GCD. If you avoid putting conditional abilities at the beginning of macros you will be fine for the most part.

Refreshing a DoT or other effect before it expires, instead of letting it expire before refreshing it. For DoTs it is usually higher DPS to refresh it just after it expires, because the last tick of the DoT doesn't happen until it falls off. This is mainly a big deal for specs like Pyromancer and Warlock for mages.

8. Is there an addon that will give me a nice real-time summary of abilities that a mob or boss is using, how much damage the abilities are doing, how often they are occurring, etc?
    ACT will do this, and some in-game meters can give you a breakdown of enemy abilities that are being used as well.

9. When people say "raid buffed", what does this mean exactly? What's the difference between the buffs you'd have in a raid vs the buffs you'd have in a 5-man? What are some of the essential buffs that every rogue should be using?
    This means having the buffs that are present in a raid, as opposed to your self-buffs. In a 5-man you may have a bard so that would be "partially raid buffed" so to speak. The difference is that in a raid, buffs and debuffs are more highly optimized so you see a significant difference in DPS, especially if you time your heavy-hitting abilities with raid buff cooldowns, and the raid buff cooldowns are timed properly with each other as well. For example, using Flaring Power (15% AP/SP buff) at the same time as Orchestra of the Planes (15% increased damage) is a huge boost.

Most essential raid buffs come from a Bard and an Archon/Beastmaster, see the Buff/Debuff link in my sig for more details.

10. This one is a bit vague. I see a lot of item stat comparison but I rarely see any talk about weapon DPS. How important is weapon DPS vs all other stats.
    For Warriors and Rogues weapon DPS is a very important factor. It can be weighted just like AP, crit and crit power. Not sure how it's weighted these days.

For Clerics and Mages weapon DPS is irrelevant, their abilities use pure SP. Also, ranged weapon DPS is irrelevant for Warriors as all abilities use melee weapon DPS.

11. I missed out on the conquest trinket. What are my options? Skull of Damnation? Spectral Hand?
    They're making the original Conquest marks available soon, by trading in the new marks, so you'll still be able to get it.

12. And finally, the most important question of all, where can I find a good looking black hood/cloak/robe costume. Something sinister.
    Afraid I have not minmaxed costumes enough to help you here.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 12-18-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Cheers
    The rest of the ?'s seem to be answered but this one sounds like your looking for the sand covered robe set, You still may be able to buy them on the AH or you can farm it from killing mobs in SS desert if you want to trade some time for money. Then just dye it all black and g2g. There isnt a cloak to this set but any cloak that can be dyed should suit you just fine

Disparity in parse numbers depend on when it starts/ends encounters.

Some of them start when your group as a whole engages the mob, some start when you touch the mob. For a group setting, the parse should start when the first person hits the mob. Starting it when you start inflates numbers.

Same as ending. I used a macro to auto end my parse encounter when the fight ended. Otherwise a lot of parsers will have 1 - 3s additional dead time after an encounter. A parse should be ended the split second a mob dies, auto ending will often leave the said delay. This causes lower numbers the more it delays.

Some junk about parses.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Telaran

Oh wow, thanks for all the helpful information

on #10. Remember that, as a Rogue, Weapon damage is only used when using a spec that will use that weapon. Ranger/MM/Bard/Tac Use the weapon dps from the Ranged Weapon. Melee specs will use the Dps form melee weapons (primarly Main hand unless you are using Bladedancer)

For boss abilities and so forth, you could use KBM (King Molinatorrrrrrrrr~~~~~) found on Curse. You can throw in the addwatch plugin as well. This will let you see (if the boss, usually raid ones) the timers on CD for specific boss abilities as well as "watch" other mobs in the area as needed.

Also, almost every spec I can think of right now will tell you NOT to clip. :P
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Raynald View Post
    Also, almost every spec I can think of right now will tell you NOT to clip. :P
    Nightblade.

Basically, the need not to clip is dependant on the need to maintain uptime for non-tick reasons - In the case of NB, maintaining 3 stacks is more important than any tick.

I believe MM specs with Strafe clip the channel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhamp View Post
    Nightblade.

Basically, the need not to clip is dependant on the need to maintain uptime for non-tick reasons - In the case of NB, maintaining 3 stacks is more important than any tick.

Maybe the OP read an old post in the MM-Rng thread where I talked about clipping strafe. These days I don't though. I let strafe run to it's full duration, even when I use strafe after a mm finisher and start with 1 combo point, hit empowered and then strafe so I'm building to what would be 8 combo points.

The answers in this thread are spot on! ACT is the best parser for sure, you can even have it credit absorbs to damage from the attacker, so encounters with breaking shields or mind controls are still accurate for dps. Anyone who uses any of the other parsers will have inaccurate numbers.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

I'm new to the game (~3 months) and I have a few questions for the more experienced and knowledgeable players.

Cheers
    1. I always test on the dummy of the content that i'm currently running
    2. Rift Meter is by far the most accurate that I've seen, based on ACT as a guideline
    3. No, but there are addons that can help you with your rotation (Karuulalert and NKrebuff)
    4. No, then we'd have gearscore... you can inspect people though and get a ballpark of what they are at.
    5. It's not a BIG deal but it does help, being halfway though you probably have most of what you need, there are a lot of points that don't help increase DPS at the top end of PA levels
    6. 100ms is better than average in my experience, you don't run into problems until about 300ms
    7. clipping refers to refreshing a DoT on the mob before the old one expires, you lose the ticks of damage
    8. Rift meter will show you what damage people have taken from a mob so you can see how much damage it does that way, and an addon called King boss mods will tell you timers for bosses that show when their abilities are going to be.
    9. raid buffs mean bard buffs and also beastmaster or archon buffs. you only see these usually in a raid becuse in a 5 man group you lose too much DPS by having a dps swap to bard and beastmaster or archon since these classes buff others at the expense of having low dps themselves.
    10. weapon dps is the main stat for rogues and warriors when determining which weapon is better, a weapon with higher dps will usually have higher stats on it aswell.
    11. you'll be able to get the old conqeust trinket by converting new marks into old marks soon.
    12. always inspect quest gear to see how it looks before you choose a reward, there are some cool stuff. also the AH has some good models sometimes. you can check with Ctrl+click (or is it rightclick?)

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Maybe the OP read an old post in the MM-Rng thread where I talked about clipping strafe. These days I don't though. I let strafe run to it's full duration, even when I use strafe after a mm finisher and start with 1 combo point, hit empowered and then strafe so I'm building to what would be 8 combo points.
    You're right. I had read it in reference to strafe. Thanks for clearing that up.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    ...you can inspect them and add up the stats from all their gear, and then add it to the base stats whatever they are, and assume they have some PA, and THEN take into account what bonuses they might get from their spec or buffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    ...you can inspect people though and get a ballpark of what they are at.
    Sounds like a neat idea for a nosy addon.

Sounds like a neat idea for a nosy addon.
    not possible with an addon, you literally have to manually inspect them and get a pen and paper to write down the stats lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dhamp View Post
    Nightblade.

Oh right.... I forgot about fiery spike.

It's been too long since I last played a NB spec >_> damn you non-melee friendly raid fights!
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

+ Reply to Thread