+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bladedancer, Quick Strike and Precision Strike - Why Both?

Shadowlander

Default Bladedancer, Quick Strike and Precision Strike - Why Both?

Hi,

All the guides I've seen so far for 2.0 Bladedancer DPS use a rotation that alternates between Quick Strike and Precision Strike after each Keen Strike/Binary Strike.

Why?

I've scoured the soul tree and ability list, and for the life of me I can't figure out why you wouldn't just use the ability that does more damage, every time? The energy cost is the same, there is no cooldown on either, and PS seems to both hit harder and add combo points quicker (which is semi irrelevant because you hit 5 in 4 keypresses anyway.)

What am I missing? There must be some reason all the guides say to do it, but it's got me totally baffled...

Rift Disciple

ehm my quiick strike does more dmg than my prec strike.

train your abilities maybe?

regards

Rift Disciple

You almost got it correct in your OP. Since you'll always hit 5CPs in 4 skills, you'll want to be using the highest damage skills. Which is Quick Strike. However it only gives 1 CP, so you rotate it with PS. So yes, QS does do more damage than PS, it just might not be a whole lot at your gear level yet.

You want finishers the most, so you try to hit (exactly) 5 CP as fast as possible, which is Precision Strike including.
    A witty saying proves nothing
    - Voltaire
    One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork.
    - Edward Abbey

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ymirson View Post
    You want finishers the most, so you try to hit (exactly) 5 CP as fast as possible, which is Precision Strike including.
    Correct but if you are at 4 CPs and you have the choice you go with QS instead of PS since QS does more damage.

Shadowlander

How much more damage (per hit) roughly does QS do vs PS at max level in pre-raid gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Rescorla View Post
    Correct but if you are at 4 CPs and you have the choice you go with QS instead of PS since QS does more damage.
    You'll never be at 4 CPs with an offhand attack lit up, unless you're doing the rotation wrong.

Correct but if you are at 4 CPs and you have the choice you go with keen strike cause you have clearly mess up you rotation and need to get it back on track.
    Im sure that is what you meant to say.

Always keen strike before you finish, you want deadly dance up for both QS and PS

Rift Master

To add a slightly more elaborate answer:

Deadly dance buffs 3 CP builder attacks. Since quick and precision both deal more damage you want to use as few keen/binary attacks as possible, and spend as few hits as possible outside of deadly dance.

This means you use keen/binary to build the 5th CP, use either ST BD finisher, this triggers deadly dance, now:

Quick Strike-> 1CP, 2DD stacks left
    Keen/Binary-> 2CP, 1DD stack left
    Precision-> 4CP, no DD stacks left
    Keen/Binary -> 5CP, ready for quick/Precision after the finisher.

This lets you use your DD stacks most efficiently, and yields the highest damage.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by spowers454 View Post
    Im sure that is what you meant to say.

Always keen strike before you finish, you want deadly dance up for both QS and PS
    Yes I see what you're saying and it makes sense.

Now that you retain CPs after mobs die, I routinely find myself with 4 CPs after Keen/Binary. I guess the smart thing to do for Deadly Dance optimization is to use them again in that situation.

Now that you retain CPs after mobs die, I routinely find myself with 4 CPs after Keen/Binary. I guess the smart thing to do for Deadly Dance optimization is to use them again in that situation.
    If you've just used KS and you're at 4 combo points (because you started the fight at 3), just use a finisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazardis View Post
    Hi,

All the guides I've seen so far for 2.0 Bladedancer DPS use a rotation that alternates between Quick Strike and Precision Strike after each Keen Strike/Binary Strike.

Why?

I've scoured the soul tree and ability list, and for the life of me I can't figure out why you wouldn't just use the ability that does more damage, every time? The energy cost is the same, there is no cooldown on either, and PS seems to both hit harder and add combo points quicker (which is semi irrelevant because you hit 5 in 4 keypresses anyway.)

What am I missing? There must be some reason all the guides say to do it, but it's got me totally baffled...
    Is the damage difference in using that slightly lower damage ability greater than the damage gain of dropping finishers more frequently over a period of time. No.

Over several minutes, if you make good use of both of them so that you don't 'overgain' CP. BD I think requires a little more timing and thought than most give it, among souls. It is the same reason why sometimes I hit Binary Strike 2x in a row if the 5th CP is either going to be a non deadly danced Quick Strike - which will in turn give me only 1 deadly dance quick/prec strike and 2x DD binaries. Opposed to using my binary once more and getting 1 DD binary strike and two DD hits with my superior abilities.

DPS is all about fine timing friend. Good knowledge of the soul and goal you are aiming for should make the rest of it fairly intuitive.
    Last edited by Violacea; 12-09-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

+ Reply to Thread