+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multiple Oscillations Discussion

Default Multiple Oscillations Discussion

Multiple Oscillations discussion

First let me start off by saying that I appreciate what has been done with the bard and I am completely content and enjoying playing it as it stands now. I would like to hear what other bards think about multiple oscillations in regards to its trickle healing effect and perhapse the unintended micro management of having to toggle it on and off during a dungeon/raid depending on the fight.

The thing that has always sat funny with me is that cadence+multiple oscillations makes you a more helpful trickle healer during most trash pulls and less effective during the majority of boss fights. When it would seem that if you healer is going to need a little extra help its usually on the boss fight and not the trash.

Since I personally don't value coda of restoration or harmonic distortion very cost/time effective in spot healing (im open to input on this) I think a majority of the trickle heal comes from cadence+power cord+verse of vitality. I believe the combo pts and gcd are better spent elsewhere over using coda of restoration and aside from a few niche situations where I've had to burn all 5 stacks of harmonic energy to spot heal during say.. a b-rez on a healer. It just doesn't heal for enough to really seem like a valued and consistent contribution to your standard support trickle healing rotation. (this isn't so bad because 5 stacks of harmonic energy is nice to have up all the time)

What I would have liked to see with multiple oscillations is instead of it being +50% dps increase to cadence/cadenza+power cord during trash (with 3x heal trickle) and -50% dps on single target ( with1x heal trickle) (or no dmg bonus if you toggle it off) Is that the buff would just consistently be a 3x hit at -50% regardless of how many targets you have. (it can split when multiple targets are near, it doesn't matter to me) This would allow the small trickle support heal from cadence and power cord to be just as good for the boss fights (where its needed more) as it is on the trash pulls. Since multiple oscillations is 54 pts into bard I cant imaging the small overall dps increase on power cord and cadenza making any of the other rogue dps builds feel threatened. This would address the trickle healing inconsistencies and allow us to just keep this buff on all the time instead of constantly having to toggle it on and off depending on the fight.

Anyway I'm interested in hearing others opinions on this and if I've missed something important please let me know.

Thanks.
    Zabba

I love multiple oscillations, don't touch it!

It's meant to be toggled in combat just like mages and how they manage their charge (but we have to do it less often). I don't know why you don't like it.

For dps - toggle on when 3+ mobs
    For hps - toggle on when 2+ mobs

Maybe you aren't toggling it and leaving it on or off throughout the encounter? Play around with it more and you'll see it's really effective. Cadence heals for less yea (about 2/3) but with 3x mobs it goes like crazy on group members and your effective healing skyrockets.

If you meant Harmonic Distoration... yea that sucks. I don't think I've ever burnt my stacks to heal someone.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    If you meant Harmonic Distoration... yea that sucks. I don't think I've ever burnt my stacks to heal someone.
    What? Harmonic Distortion is great. Use it right before you use a finisher and you don't even really lose anything. Also, you can easily use it to spot heal during Virtuoso if only one or two people aren't topped off.

You can also dump all your stacks on the tank to help keep him up, although that's best saved for emergencies.

I mean, it's certainly not the best talent we have, but it's far from bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    I love multiple oscillations, don't touch it!

It's meant to be toggled in combat just like mages and how they manage their charge (but we have to do it less often). I don't know why you don't like it.

For dps - toggle on when 3+ mobs
    For hps - toggle on when 2+ mobs

Maybe you aren't toggling it and leaving it on or off throughout the encounter? Play around with it more and you'll see it's really effective. Cadence heals for less yea (about 2/3) but with 3x mobs it goes like crazy on group members and your effective healing skyrockets.

while i appreciate the response this doesn't really address the major concern that bards are better trickle healers for trash and not single target boss fights. which is really disappointing. I propose multiple osciillations always be 3 beams regardless of how many targets you are fighting, not sure how that would ruin MO

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    What? Harmonic Distortion is great. Use it right before you use a finisher and you don't even really lose anything. Also, you can easily use it to spot heal during Virtuoso if only one or two people aren't topped off.

You can also dump all your stacks on the tank to help keep him up, although that's best saved for emergencies.

I mean, it's certainly not the best talent we have, but it's far from bad.
    Cant emphasize this enough

Harmonic Distortion is very far from bad. Ive been able to solo heal centaur boss in expert boneforge as bard using this in combination with all the other heals we have. Being able to heal for 5k a pop is never a bad thing.
    Last edited by Artifakt; 12-04-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    very much this. use HD before a finisher and you lose nothing. in times where your healer gets silenced, cc'd, dies, or just a tank taking lots of hits, between this and virtuoso you have some good oh shhh toools. you can also use an @mouseoverui to help watch certain people who might take a harder hit then usual in the 10/20 man.

you absolutely toggle multiple oscillations, just like you toggle planar splash when tanking, or have 5000 cooldowns because you're a rogue. many bosses have add phases and it's great for them. use cadenza for dps or to reset VOV for burst heal, or cadence for trickle heal heal suppport.
    Last edited by Hodor; 12-04-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsurfing View Post
    very much this. use HD before a finisher and you lose nothing.
    Well, to be fair, you'll lose the benefit of 1 stack of HD on that finisher, but that only matters for damage-dealing Codas.

I still think people want that purple flag to be a green cross way too much. It makes me die inside when bard discussion revolve around nothing but their healing capability.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

If you're not using a @mouseoverui macro for Harmonics, you're doing it wrong btw. As mentioned, it's not fantastic, but it works great alongside VoV + Virtuoso spam when a MH goes down and you need the time to keep a tank up or get some emergency health in.
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Zabba View Post
    Multiple Oscillations discussion

First let me start off by saying that I appreciate what has been done with the bard and I am completely content and enjoying playing it as it stands now. I would like to hear what other bards think about multiple oscillations in regards to its trickle healing effect and perhapse the unintended micro management of having to toggle it on and off during a dungeon/raid depending on the fight.

The thing that has always sat funny with me is that cadence+multiple oscillations makes you a more helpful trickle healer during most trash pulls and less effective during the majority of boss fights. When it would seem that if you healer is going to need a little extra help its usually on the boss fight and not the trash.

Since I personally don't value coda of restoration or harmonic distortion very cost/time effective in spot healing (im open to input on this) I think a majority of the trickle heal comes from cadence+power cord+verse of vitality. I believe the combo pts and gcd are better spent elsewhere over using coda of restoration and aside from a few niche situations where I've had to burn all 5 stacks of harmonic energy to spot heal during say.. a b-rez on a healer. It just doesn't heal for enough to really seem like a valued and consistent contribution to your standard support trickle healing rotation. (this isn't so bad because 5 stacks of harmonic energy is nice to have up all the time)

What I would have liked to see with multiple oscillations is instead of it being +50% dps increase to cadence/cadenza+power cord during trash (with 3x heal trickle) and -50% dps on single target ( with1x heal trickle) (or no dmg bonus if you toggle it off) Is that the buff would just consistently be a 3x hit at -50% regardless of how many targets you have. (it can split when multiple targets are near, it doesn't matter to me) This would allow the small trickle support heal from cadence and power cord to be just as good for the boss fights (where its needed more) as it is on the trash pulls. Since multiple oscillations is 54 pts into bard I cant imaging the small overall dps increase on power cord and cadenza making any of the other rogue dps builds feel threatened. This would address the trickle healing inconsistencies and allow us to just keep this buff on all the time instead of constantly having to toggle it on and off depending on the fight.

Anyway I'm interested in hearing others opinions on this and if I've missed something important please let me know.

Thanks.
    Zabba
    Would you rather have 2 more spells like Cadencera, Cadenzera and Power Chordra(yes, I went all Final Fantasy on it and just added -ra to everything) that you also have to make room on your bars for.

No thanks, I like just having one button that quickly switches me from ST to AoE mode and back again, using same rotation. I mean, I already have to switch back and forth from healing to DPS rotation depending on circumstance, now you want 4 rotations to switch between?
    Lathais@Deepwood - <The Praetorians> - 60 Rogue
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

Rift Master

Anyone else find the VoV and CoR aren't worth the GCD it costs to cast them vs. spamming Cadence? While Cadence/PC heal scaling is quite clear (6%/9% AP), I've yet to figure out how their damage, or VoV or CoR's healing scales.

Looking at the numbers, @1200 AP, Cadence will heal for 1200*6%*3 (oscillations) = 216 per tick. That outright beats CoRs 5-point (181), and is damn close to VoV (200-222). Unless they have some unlisted scaling, cadence is only going to beat them more and more as I finally start getting some expert gear.

As for improving our trickle healing in boss fights, meh. I think we're right about where we need to be. Just a matter of properly using your cool downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Would you rather have 2 more spells like Cadencera, Cadenzera and Power Chordra(yes, I went all Final Fantasy on it and just added -ra to everything) that you also have to make room on your bars for.

No thanks, I like just having one button that quickly switches me from ST to AoE mode and back again, using same rotation. I mean, I already have to switch back and forth from healing to DPS rotation depending on circumstance, now you want 4 rotations to switch between?
    this is like the 4th post that has nothing to do with what i suggested. wish people would read something fully before they try and troll..

Quote Originally Posted by Caldorian View Post
    Anyone else find the VoV and CoR aren't worth the GCD it costs to cast them vs. spamming Cadence? While Cadence/PC heal scaling is quite clear (6%/9% AP), I've yet to figure out how their damage, or VoV or CoR's healing scales.

Looking at the numbers, @1200 AP, Cadence will heal for 1200*6%*3 (oscillations) = 216 per tick. That outright beats CoRs 5-point (181), and is damn close to VoV (200-222). Unless they have some unlisted scaling, cadence is only going to beat them more and more as I finally start getting some expert gear.

As for improving our trickle healing in boss fights, meh. I think we're right about where we need to be. Just a matter of properly using your cool downs.
    yes i agree about the scaling and that those two might not be worth the gcd, especially if your only 3 targets. they may net more #'s wise in a raid setting cause they still hit 5, but regardless they wouldnt be missed from a rotation imo imo

Combine Cadenza, Oscillations and 3+ Mobs to spam VoV. And VoA.
    Its fun!
    A witty saying proves nothing
    - Voltaire
    One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork.
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Zabba View Post
    this is like the 4th post that has nothing to do with what i suggested. wish people would read something fully before they try and troll..
    You're confusion disagreeing with you and not understanding you.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

+ Reply to Thread