+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tactician and Sab seem rather pointless...

Champion

Default Tactician and Sab seem rather pointless...

I've been playing around with different specs and combinations and is it just me, but do the Tactician and Sab trees seem rather pointless. Tactician seems like it has no identity. It's neither a good ranged nor melee build, nor healing build. At best it seems complimentary to bard, yet some of the talents that compliment the bard are so far in the tree that they're not worth getting. And while Sab is clear in it's identity, it just doesn't seem like it belongs anywhere.

There are just better souls for everything these two souls want to accomplish. Trion, where were you going with these two souls?

RIFT Guide Writer

Tactician soul is actually extremely useful. It just takes a while to figure it out. And saboteur is excellent aoe dps.

You've clearly never tried Saboteur in a group against a group of 20 enemies

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Tactician soul is actually extremely useful. It just takes a while to figure it out. And saboteur is excellent aoe dps.
    pretty much this

Sab kills in pvp, I still can't find a place for tac other than a sub soul our hybrid for bard... even tried a elemental dmg hybrid with tac bots and rays with nb and that sucked.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

I highly recommend MM/Tact...wonderful AoE build, good ST if you're good with positioning. Something along these lines for the extra AoE from MM....http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/b.../T8FiyF8k4/yh0
    Quote Originally Posted by Farhopper View Post
    Your out of you league here Fritz. any 8 bit hacker knows that only prepubescent girls with self esteem issues put up avatar picks of trolls and strut around forums like a tactless moron. your mothers a ***** and your father smelled of elderberries you masochistic malevolent!!!

Hmm I find tact to be the best thing about the expansion.

I've just levelled to 60 using the Martian spec, and ok, it takes time to get use to, and yes the mobs are spread out, but you quickly adapt and work around it.

In AoE situations, like rifts the builds rocks, with constant trickle heals and heals on kills (from RS) you can burn your way through many a mob.

In PvP, one-on-one (imo) yes yer screwed, but again use it wisely, and its lethal. Its also surprising how many of the opposition go "aarrggghhhh flame thrower, run away" (must be a conditional reflex from watching too many war films) giving your side a tactical advantage. I had so much fun burning my way through guardians last night, stood on the bridge in Port Sion.

So yes it has its use, it has its niche, grats to Trion from me.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gethzerion View Post
    Its also surprising how many of the opposition go "aarrggghhhh flame thrower, run away" (must be a conditional reflex from watching too many war films) giving your side a tactical advantage.
    You do realize that no one can see your "flamethrower" in action except you, right?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    You do realize that no one can see your "flamethrower" in action except you, right?
    Say wut? I can see other rogues flamethrowers in action np.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    You can see other peoples flamethrowers. Stating that you can't is completely incorrect. If you aren't seeing them, then either you're experiencing a bug or perhaps lower graphics settings have the flamethrower affects turned off if you're not running the game on Medium/High/Ultra.

I can see flames/glacier/necro torrents just fine.

Also, I do enjoy tact. Seems like a lot of fun. I play sabo when I get bored and just want to play things up mindlessly.
    Valliac - Eth - Rogue
    Brongor - Dwarf - Warrior
    Sevisa - Kelari - Cleric

nah.. he's just incorrect, as is usual. chances are he has the old "disable other player's spell effects" box checked.. you can still run rift on max and not be blinded by 40 different peoples abilities spamming across the map. Trion, and others.. give him far too much credit and entitlements simply because he "runs a fan site".. as if having a web site is something not everybody can do?

to the OP.. i suggest you get a trial version or open an actual subscription and play the game.. Tactician is not just useful, but completely viable with the ability to swing from top 3 in aoe dps to top 3 in raid healing without skipping a beat, on top of adding 30% dmg and 20% healing to everybody in the raid (35/25 w/o a bard in raid).. tactician stands as a force multiplier. even in single target (which is not it's strong suite) it can parse higher than bard dps.

it's about positioning.. the rogue's position relative to the enemy and friendly players. It takes more than the rogue knowing where to cast from, but the raid knowing things like stacking=better tact healing/dmg and not being behind the tactician will increase you chances of getting healed. It's also about energy management, and knowing what to use when. You can go all heals, or all dps like some 2h sword wielding mindless cretin.. (and still get good numbers) or you can honestly fill w/e gap is needed for a raid group.

running 5m's instances though.. you may find yourself swapping to other specs depending on if the fight is aoe heavy and/or spread out or not. Like much of rift.. no one spec will dothe best on every single fight in the game.
    Last edited by Mirimon; 11-28-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Tact, as mentioned before, does great in swapping from dps/heals and back, mainly due to most build hybrids compliment damage/healing from torrents.

Funny story, used my tac build in a big IA and did mostly healing (dps was being handed by people far more geared than I), and was getting *****ed at in the Ia by a healy-cleric who's HPS i was almost doubling.

Good times.
    Valliac - Eth - Rogue
    Brongor - Dwarf - Warrior
    Sevisa - Kelari - Cleric

running 41tact/35mm in 5m's/raids.. can't be touched on aoe dps, it's stupid crazy dps (as there is no ramp-up time, it's instant, and constant. (not counting broken cleric dps, we all know that's getting patched)

there is also the option to run a half and half bard/tact split, specced so that you give the raid the better.. longer lasting buffs of both, allowing others to focus on pure dps/healing.

and of course.. there's the pure healing tact, capable of significant raid/grp healing

I have never seen enemy players torrents in PvP and I play with all settings on maximum.
    So it's not just Dunsparrow who is experiencing it.
    Nope.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I have never seen enemy players torrents in PvP and I play with all settings on maximum.
    So it's not just Dunsparrow who is experiencing it.
    It's not about graphics settings, it's about player settings. In the settings menu under interface->combat I believe is the option to "hide other players effects". This is what prevents you from seeing them. My cleric and rogue have theirs toggled to hide and they don't see torrents. My warrior and mage don't have it toggled and see them just fine. I play on lowest quality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast