+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Main hand versus off hand weapon speed

Soulwalker

Default Main hand versus off hand weapon speed

Hello all, i need you guya to check me on my idea.

In wow for a combat style rogue you wanted a slow main hand and a fast offhand, because it was based off weapon % the damage, so a slow main hand made instant ability attacks hit harder.

In rift does it only matter dps and stats because the skill is a set amount? Then i just noticed if i take off a weapon or armor that set amount goes down.

So anyone know for sure if i need slow main hand and fast off hand or just aways go for best dps/stats?

Thank you in advance /hugs

This is coming from someone who is familiar with common rogue mechanics; however, I do not know the exact, correct information, and my advice can serve as a bump instead if this is the case. If someone can correct me, please do so.

Typically, weapon attacks are based off of some % of weapon damage, even if you may not be able to see it. Although I wish that they wouldn't do this in Rift, it may be that they are calculating the damage for you already without displaying "x% of weapon damage + y". So, if this is the case, it makes absolute sense to have a slow main-hand.

Second, what comes into play with your off-hand may be dependent upon your soul / spec, so for someone to give you accurate information you may need to give them yours. Take assassin, for example. Since there are poisons, I would assume that a faster off-hand will give you greater amounts of procs. But should there be an internal cooldown for these poisons, things may change. Now, as I said before, I may be incorrect since I am basing this off of my experience.

This was a question raised in the original beta. Then the question was asked in the context of EQ2 that required matching speed and NOT fast weapons like daggers, along with using ACT to time auto attacks.

They responded first by saying that you do not attack separately with both weapons. It is main hand + X% of off hand weapon for both Auto attack and abilities. Secondly for auto attack at least damage is normalized.

Additionally faster weapons USED to mean more procs. Procs now however have internal cool downs. This was largely done to help balance warriors and rogues due not only to weapon speed but Ability GCD. They recently changed this to be more simple. If you read the assassin poisons it says "gives weapon ability " instead of attack eith1.11. As such auto attacks no longer proc poisons at all.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Soulwalker

Thank you for your input, i testing out various melee builds with assasin being the core for the poisons, normally i go for fast weapons for my procs but the poison says it off weapon abilities so i assuming that means my skills and not auto attack.

The poisons i using do not state there is a cooldown but maybe there is an invisible one, i hope not.

Thanks for the reply

Ascendant

Pick the weapons with the highest DPS. Most rogue abilities will use "weapon damage +x" so going for pure dps is your best overall bet (unless its a significant stat loss)

Soulwalker

Thank you very much

Rift Master

Simply put, use the higher dps weapon in your main hand, if you use bladedancer swap it around and use the higher one as off-hand. Rest has been explained by the other posters.

Soulwalker

Thank you

Speed doesn't matter. For rogues all damage is calculated off your mainhand, offhand is for autoattacks only and a stat stick except for the bladedancer soul.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Speed doesn't matter. For rogues all damage is calculated off your mainhand, offhand is for autoattacks only and a stat stick except for the bladedancer soul.
    And Rift Disturbance.

[/nitpick]

+ Reply to Thread