+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard support

Default Bard support

Hey. I'm relatively new to the game (A couple weeks in, 53 Rogue atm.) and I've settled in to the fact that I enjoy playing support more than any other role (I like buffing and debuffing). I just wanted to ask what the forums thoughts are on the recent bard nerfs and where that puts bard in terms of a support role. I didn't think it was that bad and I didn't mind the healing nerfs honestly. My only upset was what they did with Verse of Vitality.

Anyway, I was looking at Archon mage, and that seemed like an amazing support soul to do next. Trying to compare the two, which do you think is better to have in a group? How do you think the bard stands as of today? Also, do you think 61 Bard is a waste to do? Anyway, I appreciate any responses in advanced! Nice to meet the forums!
    Last edited by Kruce; 11-21-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Bard and Archon fill somewhat of two different types of support role. Archon (and similarly, Beastmaster) provides buffs and debuffs as well as single-target DPS, where Bard is more flexible and can provide either DPS or healing on top of the buffs and debuffs. Both bring necessary buffs to larger raids, and both can also be viable in as small as 5-man groups, but Archon does not fit the 5-man group support healing role, it fills more of a DPS role that happens to have buffs in that scenario.

In summary: Bard can fill different roles in a 5-man group, and brings unique buffs to larger raids. Archon can only buff/debuff and DPS (better single-target than a Bard), and brings buffs to larger raids that can alternatively be covered by Beastmaster, as long as there is a Bard covering the debuffs.

Soulwalker

I have been playing bard pretty much since the beginning of Rfit. I came to Rift and was burned out on healing but I don't really care for DPS. I am sad about the change to VoV but its not the end of the world things are constantly changing. I really enjoy that the motifs stay up now as long as you use a coda because that would grow annoying when you had other things you needed to focus on in raids. I like that the fanfares have been combined as well because the less things you have to cast it makes it a little easier. The healing nerf was global for all AOE healers so I understand, especailly with bard healing was getting to be out of control. I quit for a while after HK but in HK I was able to be like 2nd or 3rd on the healing meter sometimes first because maybe I didn't have to move and another healer did. As far as archon support they have some nice buffs as well, generally speaking raids bring both because the buffs didn't stack as of last I knew. In regards to your 61 pt bard question it probably won't be a viable raid spec it may work ok for 5 mans and maybe 10m but 20m it won't work for as a bard you usually have to bring some support from other classes. With the addition of tactician it pairs nicely with bard and adds some extra healing, but from personal experience I was generally required to bring some type of interrupt or other utility besides my buffs and debuffs.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the responses guys, truly appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread