+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returning 50: PvP, & where on earth is the Nightblade?

Soulwalker

Default Returning 50: PvP, & where on earth is the Nightblade?

Hey guys, I'm a returning 50. Left because I felt PvP was a terrible cluster-you-know-what of AoE and was horribly unfriendly to those of use that loved stealth.

I have a few questions:

1) Is the state of PvP/warfronts the same? Am I gonna be knocked out of stealth over and over again like last time?

2) Where the hell is the discussion on Nightblades? I've seen plenty of people chat about literally every other soul, but nary a word on Nightblades. What gives? It was one of the most interesting souls to me; where does it stand now? Is it just so terrible that "we don't talk about that soul" anymore?

I want some insight. Personal experience preferred over speculation, but all is welcome.

If anything WF's are way more of an AoE/ranged fest now. Sometimes I find it even pushing risk to get hits off on my ranged specs. Melee works, it just is what is always has been, melee.

I don't know about Nbs. It was awesome before 1.11 and ever since I am at a loss. It doesn't feel like it rips people near as hard as it used to. It always feels muddier and slower for some reason now. I wonder what happen to it as well, because on paper it looks like it should be amazing. It just never feels like it looks like it should. I haven't put a ton of effort into finding a spec that works though, sure some exist. Perhaps just changed from a deep spec? Dunno, not my majoring soul of choice ^.^. I just know it didn't seem to rip people up like it did not long ago. Other souls seem to do that better, like assassin.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Soulwalker

Default NB

In response to your NB question - I agree for some reason it seems overlooked. However, I'm not exactly sure why.

I've tried a large majority of the specs flying around here and some of my own creation, and i always found that my NB killed 2x as fast as most of the specs.

Furthermore, it has decent AoE capabilities and some nice utility. Personally, while i'm not sure if it's top raid DPS right now (pretty sure no one is 100% sure of the best spec in that regard yet), I found it pumped out way more dps while leveling whether I was killing an event boss, normal mobs or something in a dungeon.

At 60 it's still my preferred spec as I do dungeons/farm infinity stones/rep/etc.

End of the day make sure you give everything a try as you level up to figure out what you like best rather than reading what other people like best on the forums since very little actual theorycrafting and testing has taken place since we are only a week in and changes are still being made.

Soulwalker

Warfronts are still pretty much the same they used to be. Stealthy rogues can still be very useful in certain situations, like in Codex or Port Scion. In larger fights stealth is useless ofc, with all the AoEs flying around. As a tactical spec it's still viable though.

I admit I haven't played Nightblade through most of my leveling process, so I don't really know how it performs below lvl 60. Since I have the 61 point skill though, I'm loving it. Being able to fire off 3 finishers in a row is awesome. Easily beats the dps of my other specs, including Bladedancer and Assassin.
    Last edited by Kartron; 11-21-2012 at 12:12 AM.

I am a long time PVPer with server 1st max rank when the game came out. I've had extensive time with every spec in PVP. Recently I have been almost exclusively been playing NB/RS in WFs. I can't rember my exact points distribution but its something like 46 NB 20 something RS. It is not a top dps spec but it does offer one of the highest surviabilities. I put 0 in bladedancer for Side Steps. I take Planar refuge in RS. These 2 cooldowns paired with Twilight Transcendence are enough to keep you alive through a whole pack of opponenets. Even though its not the highest DPS I am still always at the top of the list in KBs while dishing out high amounts damage. I am also usually taking the most damage which for me is a win if I can keep my team alive. I took a couple month break from the game before Storm Legion and when I got back I was looking for something to replace Sin/Riftstalker. I really like what I have come up with and the AOE finisher in NB makes a nice additon when you have multiple low health targets surrounding you. In addition to being a great PVP spec I have used this for my entire grind to 60.

I still wreck with NB/BD
    Even free cost too much now

Dammit people!

1. The first rule of Nightblades is we do not talk about Nightblades.

If word gets out all the Rangers, Sabs and Tacticians will swap spec. We need them so we can thrive in peace!
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

While I wouldn't call it a NB spec per sec, the Blard spec is rather hilarious in pvp, though more in a Kill steal way, than in bursting down people solo. Can be used for pvp, pve grinding, and DPS/support in T2's. Has moderate pvp damage, good survivability and can throw off support heals on the side.

Shadowlander

I have been playing a 61 point NB build and rather love it. The other 15 are spread into tact and riftstalker. I can't say I've PvP'ed with it yet, but so far its worked out *fantastic* for soloing and for running instances.

The changes to Dusk Strike had me pretty worried,... but it's turned out to be a very nice energy dump. Pound on it at the start of a fight until your energy warrants switching off it... then toss it in occasionally when your energy has built back up a bit.

Dark Descent is pretty nice for managing Scourage of Darkness as it lets you use Blazing Strike straight after (twice!)... no more refreshing Fiery Spike manually after using SoD. You also now have the ability to do ST damage entirely from range when required, which is bloody AWESOME!

Can down lvl 60 mobs in seconds and am pulling top DPS in instances when I can focus on the boss. The AoE DPS is nothing to be shy about either!

NB was my favorite soul pre 1.11, and it will likely continue to be for quite a while.

Nightblade's still around, it's a great soloing soul.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Nightblade's still around, it's a great soloing soul.
    Pair with 8RS/7tact and you're good to go, I'm loving this

Except the ******* blink which throws the AoE in front of me after I've moved 15m forwards. And sometimes it goes where it's supposed to. And sometimes it actually casts behind me before blinking. And sometimes it casts 2 boxes, one where intended and another one ahead of me.

Other than that, it's awesome.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post

Except the ******* blink which throws the AoE in front of me after I've moved 15m forwards. And sometimes it goes where it's supposed to. And sometimes it actually casts behind me before blinking. And sometimes it casts 2 boxes, one where intended and another one ahead of me.

Its a graphical glitch the dmg will always be where it should be

Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post

Yea, that's what I play. 4 mobs can be tough, but I prefer to burn through mobs quickly rather then aoe pulling. The dps is really good for a solo build.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by awdbawl View Post
    2) Where the hell is the discussion on Nightblades?
    blard.

+ Reply to Thread