+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Muspel
  • 1 Post By Marne

Thread: Bard v Tactician : PvP Support

Default Bard v Tactician : PvP Support

Please share your thoughts on which is more valuable, all things being equal (no other bards / tacticians in the raid). Thanks for your time.

Jiva@Faeblight
    <is Defenseless>

Bard, absolutely Bard hands down.
    ~Quiescent

Bard is better at support, but tactician is absolutely better at healing. I'm 58 and I'm getting top 1-2 healing done in every warfront I do. Restorative bolt is amazing for keeping people and, most importantly, flag carriers alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Venditte View Post
    Bard is better at support, but tactician is absolutely better at healing. I'm 58 and I'm getting top 1-2 healing done in every warfront I do. Restorative bolt is amazing for keeping people and, most importantly, flag carriers alive.
    Restorative bolt heals for, like, 1k.

Tactician tops the healing meters because it's sniping heals from everyone. The lack of even halfway decent ST heals means that in anything but a Sab war, you're going to be largely ineffective.

I only use it if the glorious matchmaking system decides to put twelves rogues and zero clerics on my team.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Restorative bolt heals for, like, 1k.

Tactician tops the healing meters because it's sniping heals from everyone. The lack of even halfway decent ST heals means that in anything but a Sab war, you're going to be largely ineffective.

I only use it if the glorious matchmaking system decides to put twelves rogues and zero clerics on my team.
    If you're rolling curative blast, curative core, curative beam and spamming restorative bolt on the target, you're doing a lot of healing. There's no way that's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Venditte View Post
    If you're rolling curative blast, curative core, curative beam and spamming restorative bolt on the target, you're doing a lot of healing. There's no way that's not worth it.
    You're sniping a lot of healing. That is, you're "stealing" the heals from other healers because you're spamming and they're reacting.

It looks like a lot of healing on the meters, but the individual impact on each target is very minor, and for the most part, you're just making the actual healers do more overheals, as their larger heals land shortly after yours do and carry people above max health.

This isn't to say that the extra healing can't be helpful, but the numbers that you see on the scoreboard are very deceptive, and not a good indicator of how much you're helping the group.

Telaran

Bards used to be best until they took a serious nerf to motifs.

Before, when there were 6 motifs and each one played a different note, there were countless tunes that you could strum out.

Now with only 4 tunes we can only barely muster an off-key version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

This deplorable lack of tonal variety severely undercuts the Bards role as a support character, and generates fewer smiles per battle than pre-SL.
    Last edited by Marne; 11-20-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marne View Post
    Bards used to be best until they took a serious nerf to motifs.

Before, when there were 6 motifs and each one played a different note, there were countless tunes that you could strum out.

Now with only 4 tunes we can only barely muster an off-key version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

This deplorable lack of tonal variety severely undercuts the Bards role as a support character, and generates fewer smiles per battle than pre-SL.
    We needed a temp to make songs off GCD for 30s so that proper tempos could be achieved. Mary Had a Little Lamb was pretty slow.

On the real, I think Bard wins for support.

The only things that stand out to me with Tactician is the good cores - 30% armor/resists and +10% raid damage. Those are solid. The heals don't seem to be anything a bard can't do. Any bard maintaining motifs has a better ST heal - it just doesn't gain a CP. They both can aoe spray heals like no tomorrow. The amount of steady AP/dmg reduction/+heal % bard gives + their debuffs like Coda of Jeopardy, I think they are good. Bard can do worthy ST damage to someone if they focus on it, it's not bad at all. Though if spec'd right you can make the Tactician into some interesting things. A deep spec tactician trying to maintain a balance in a WF though is like an overload almost.

Oh, also bard 61pt is pretty amazing (better than the 10% dmg tactician core imo and their 61pt, 6s is pretty short. But it is strong) and a raidwide shield, even on a long CD and minor, is a nice option considering it is in the rogue soul. That and a 61pt bard still feels pretty fluid and at ease. A 61pt tactician is like bard all over again. 4 aoe's that have different conditions. A stacking buff to drop with another ability to reduce cost of other abilities/increase them. 5 different self buffs. a rotations of like 5 - 6 (iirc) cores. A few self temp buffs. Then a few awkward buffs thrown in between. It just feels messy and overloaded for PvP. It is like the old Sab of support. The ramp up time for it to be totally effective has so much downtime of action it feels like.

On a side note though, make more catered specs with Tactician in the direction of heals or damaging, I think works out better than a bard. I like my Tactician aoe dps spec. It is nothing to ignore.
    Last edited by Violacea; 11-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

what's a good bard build? I think I'm going to start running one for pvp support

Quote Originally Posted by mistmare View Post
    what's a good bard build? I think I'm going to start running one for pvp support

44 / 22 / x Bard / RS / MM is very forgiving if you want to find your feet.....drop more into bard (or less) as you feel more comfortable

Jiva@Faeblight
    <is Defenseless>

+ Reply to Thread