+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My Cleric Leaves my Rogue in the dust (PVE)

Rift Disciple

Default My Cleric Leaves my Rogue in the dust (PVE)

Returning player here. Just a so so (skill) casual player.

I have a 50 Cleric and Rogue. They are geared about the same, with items at the level of the first Storm Legion quests.

Soloing with the cleric is a breeze. I can handle 3 normal mobs if needed.

Soloing with the MM/Ranger is scary. Constantly kiting, I am lucky if I survive 2 mobs. The razor beast pet's health can hardly hold up against 2, and its aggro breaks. If I run into a 3rd mob I am either running for my life or dead.

I am trying to understand why exactly this is so.

It could be:

1) My skill is poor.
    2) Trion made the rogue weaker in PvE than the cleric, with the "payoff" being that rogue's surpass them in PVP, so in a sense it balances...

Is there a general agreement that #2 above is true? Am I really looking to "stick it out" with the rogue because he will have a future in PVP but the cleric (from what I read generally) will not?

Any feedback on this would be super. I am just having a hard time sticking with the rogue now based on the PvE performance alone.

Thanks

use something with tact and rs in it not mm/ranger, it will brighten your day

Plane Walker

Bard, even after nerfs, is really strong to mix into a class to provide soloability. Tactician also is very good for soloing as it stands. Right now clerics are a bit... OP... so they are doing ridiculous damage right now which is likely giving you the impression they are a lot better, specially when its combined with adding healing abilities to the mix.

Shadowlander

Yep, just go at minimum to 4 Tactician + 8 Riftstalker and then you just have to choose the soul that fit the best to your playstyle. There is a lot of specs out there that do pretty well. But don't expect to nuke sourcestone like clerics ^^

Given how spread out stuff is in the new zones, its hard to see how you are getting adds that are not deliberate pulls. Since you are returning, I would not say you are lacking skill, just lacking familiarity in some of the finer details with changes to the souls in regards to how they solo.

While Kailad4n's suggestion is one of your best bets for subsouls, you will usually (not always) see them paired up with Bladedancer, as not only does it bring a good amount of both ST and AoE damage, it has a fairly strong toolkit for soloing as well (Strikeback, Sidesteps, another Self Heal if you talent for it, interrupt, charge and sprint, dex buff, more dodge if you decide to take it...). I've had absolutely no problems soloing with this combo, and it handles adds quite well. Just sub out normal finisher for Meditative Trance and/or hit Sidesteps. If adds are still giving you trouble, toggle on Guardian phase and go read a book or something while you mash your AoE.

I never really used the Ranger as a soloing soul, as sometimes the pet's AI can be wonky, and I find I have more positional control of the fight if I'm the one tanking the add rather than some pet, which reduces the chance of me moving into the path of unwanted company.

If you are really worried about adds, you could try Assassin instead. Gives you incapacitate for some control before hand, the ability to chew through single targets relatively fast, leeching poison, and more importantly: Slip Away if you bite off more than you can chew. It's lack of AoE could be partially offset by looking into some of Tacticians lower level abilities/talents.

And yea, I do find my Rogue behind the cleric in what i can solo. From my experience so far in leveling the classes in SL I would rate them:
    1) Cleric (I've been using 44+ Druid/21Just, and a 17 Cab / rest Defiler for my solo builds)
    2) Mage (Both pet classes have good healing abilities for them, and Harb/Chloro is a beast)
    3) Rogue (been using different variations of BD/Tac/RS and played around with Tac/NB/RS)
    4) Warrior...There are some good builds out there, but my experience with the class in general while leveling has not been quite as fun as the others.... But then again "Fun" is a relative variable.
    Last edited by LemmingOfEvil; 11-18-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Experience debt is merely a gauge to show how much Awesome I'm generating.

Quote Originally Posted by riftyman View Post
    Soloing with the MM/Ranger
    This is your problem.

MM makes a poor soloing spec. Ranger isn't all that great, either, unless you're only ever fighting one mob at a time.

Rift Disciple

Thank you all for the help.

Muspel I think I will look into your rogue tanking guide. I guess I will have to give up on the MM/Ranger idea, just doesn't seem like I can pull it off in the new zones.

I remember seeing rogues do some amazing tanking of dungeons when I played them a year ago. Time to learn some new tricks.

Just bear in mind that rogue tanking builds aren't very effective at soloing, due to the low damage. It makes a good subsoul, though, due to Boosted Recovery.

Rift Disciple

One of the things I love about Rift is the almost infinite variety of build variations. Almost a sort of mini game, hehe.

Shadowlander

The ranger tank pet has never been able to handle more than one equal level mob at a time. If you solo with Ranger try and keep that in mind when you pull. Also more points in Ranger = better pet stats. MM won't bring much to the table for ranged solo. If you just like the ranged solo play style, put all your points into Ranger and add 4 in Tact for the heals and I think just 12 in assassin for leaching poison.
    Wolfsbane

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by angryglock View Post
    The ranger tank pet has never been able to handle more than one equal level mob at a time. If you solo with Ranger try and keep that in mind when you pull. Also more points in Ranger = better pet stats. MM won't bring much to the table for ranged solo. If you just like the ranged solo play style, put all your points into Ranger and add 4 in Tact for the heals and I think just 12 in assassin for leaching poison.
    OK thanks angryglock. I am thinking that I should be able to take 2 at a time...there are just too many times you end up fighting 2, either by accident or by necessity. If the ranger is not up for that in SL, then I 'll keep looking. I did try a Trion premade Tact build but I am not good enough with it to keep from getting over run. I'll keep studying up.

Shadowlander

curative engine + boosted recovery

Telaran

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t...h5imB10/AkxMx0

Try this. Start with 5 CP using empyrean bolt.
    Use torrent primer and then spam ice/fire torrents. Use 1empyrean bolt every 4 torrent then refresh torrent primer. Drop the core you like (heal or damage) and you're good to solo 3 mobs 2 levels higher than you.

Sorry for the mistakes in the skills names, I'm on my phone.
    Last edited by Alechiel; 11-19-2012 at 02:53 AM.
    eXile Corp- Level 60 Rogue class leader - Icewatch
    Frozen Tempest 4/4 - Endless Eclipse 5/5 - HM 2/4 - GA 4/4

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by riftyman View Post
    2) Trion made the rogue weaker in PvE than the cleric, with the "payoff" being that rogue's surpass them in PVP, so in a sense it balances...
    Yeah, Rogues really surpass Clerics in PvP, as evidenced by this: http://i.imgur.com/xHLyZ.jpg

I'm level 60 now and I still can't hit anyone like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alechiel View Post
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t...h5imB10/AkxMx0

Try this. Start with 5 CP using empyrean bolt.
    Use torrent primer and then spam ice/fire torrents. Use 1empyrean bolt every 4 torrent then refresh torrent primer. Drop the core you like (heal or damage) and you're good to solo 3 mobs 2 levels higher than you.

Sorry for the mistakes in the skills names, I'm on my phone.
    Your spec is jacked. Why you would stop 2 points shy of Necrotic Bolt is a mystery.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 11-19-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Telaran

Necrotic bolt is hardly usefully in solo pve.
    eXile Corp- Level 60 Rogue class leader - Icewatch
    Frozen Tempest 4/4 - Endless Eclipse 5/5 - HM 2/4 - GA 4/4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast