+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Defensive Posture is useless

Default Defensive Posture is useless

So I decided to try out bladedancer for soloing and I noticed defensive posture... "Reduces damage taken by 20%. Reduces energy regeneration by 10/s". 20% damage reduction is nice and 10/s reduced energy doesn't sound bad. Wrong. 10/s reduced energy regen is unplayable, making defensive posture useless. Seriously, try it out if you don't believe me. You'll be out of energy after 1 finisher and you have to wait several seconds to get enough for an attack.

This ability definitely needs a redo, otherwise it will never be used.

RIFT Guide Writer Sekhmet The Fierce's Avatar

Yeah, it is pretty useless as anything but a getaway CD. You don't want to be using whilst DPS'ing a mob down. Put that on and make sure to have sprint or some RS blinks to get you away.
    "Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."
    He who fights with Monsters should look to it that He himself does not become a Monster. And when you gaze long into an Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Venditte View Post
    So I decided to try out bladedancer for soloing and I noticed defensive posture... "Reduces damage taken by 20%. Reduces energy regeneration by 10/s". 20% damage reduction is nice and 10/s reduced energy doesn't sound bad. Wrong. 10/s reduced energy regen is unplayable, making defensive posture useless. Seriously, try it out if you don't believe me. You'll be out of energy after 1 finisher and you have to wait several seconds to get enough for an attack.

This ability definitely needs a redo, otherwise it will never be used.
    Umm, it's a DEFENSIVE skill. You're not supposed to be attacking when all turtled down. This ability is probably best used if you happen to pull aggro off the tank. Since it's so high in the BD tree (offensive soul), it's best used as an Oh $!# CD. It's not designed to be used for tanking.

Rift Master

That's what, 46 points into BD?
    I imagined it to be great if you went 17 Tact for the energy on crit ability. Haven't tried it, so I don't know if it has an internal CD, but on AoE it should trigger quite often and should be able to offset the DP loss.

Rift Chaser

While I agree it needs to be reworked (20% reduction isn't going to save you from anything) I will reinforce that it isn't meant to be used all the time. It's an emergency ability, but like I said, 20% is pointless.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sumelar View Post
    While I agree it needs to be reworked (20% reduction isn't going to save you from anything) I will reinforce that it isn't meant to be used all the time. It's an emergency ability, but like I said, 20% is pointless.
    I really wouldn't say it's pointless. 20% is quite a lot in today's rift mitigation world. RS shields are 5+2% (when specced. It should also be multiplicative just like rift guard.(That of course does't regard passive RS resists and mitigation). Keep also in mind that the equivalent RS ability is a multiplicative debuff instead.

I actually now want to try a BD/Tact spec to see if it's actually any good ^^

If you think this is useless you aren't being creative or thoughtful enough with it.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    If you think this is useless you aren't being creative or thoughtful enough with it.
    There's nothing to be creative with if you can't do anything with it active...

Plane Touched

Thx to you I am actually looking at some BD Tact RS build for pvp oO Should give pretty avvesome mitigation ^^

Telaran

Ive tried it and I think 10 E /sec it is to much, they should consider 5 energy / sec. It is also to far up in the BD tree to be combined with RS to be OP. In its current state most will skip over it. This would be mostly for those who like to run solo further up in the BD tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Venditte View Post
    There's nothing to be creative with if you can't do anything with it active...
    If we'd had the talent in ID, I can think of at least four fights where it'd be extremely useful. There are plenty of occasions when staying alive is more useful than dealing damage.

For instance, on Ituziel, you could use it if you got hit by a wave, to drastically reduce your chances of dying (better to lose 5 seconds of DPS than to die and waste a brez). On Rusila, you could throw it up during the nastier Dread Shots. For Maelforge, use it while jumping up to phase 2.

Not to mention the fact that you can just leave it on during Blade and Soul Parity.

Will it see constant use? No, probably not. But then, it's clearly intended as a situational ability.

I will admit that I'd rather see it as a %-based reduction to our damage rather than an energy regen cut, though. Same basic effect, but it'd feel less clunky.

Soulwalker

This is by far the most strange complaint I've seen as it doesn't seem to be a troll post.

How can you complain at an ability able to be toggled whenever, pretty much, to get 20% less dmg?!

If you play a blade dancer correctly in like an expert you are always decent high on energy, this means you can toggle it on so many times just to get a little less dmg from some AoE or for example the fight in Exodus where you may need to hide behind a 'pillar' while having full energy and a nasty DoT on you. Or when the healer/support dies to take a little less focus from the much needed healing left.

Conclusion, if you can't find ways to use this awesome skill then you are clearly doing lots of stuff in a less effiecent way than you could be doing them(without sacrificing ANYTHING at all).

Champion of Telara The Real Viz Shady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retylon View Post
    This is by far the most strange complaint I've seen as it doesn't seem to be a troll post.

How can you complain at an ability able to be toggled whenever, pretty much, to get 20% less dmg?!

If you play a blade dancer correctly in like an expert you are always decent high on energy, this means you can toggle it on so many times just to get a little less dmg from some AoE or for example the fight in Exodus where you may need to hide behind a 'pillar' while having full energy and a nasty DoT on you. Or when the healer/support dies to take a little less focus from the much needed healing left.

Conclusion, if you can't find ways to use this awesome skill then you are clearly doing lots of stuff in a less effiecent way than you could be doing them(without sacrificing ANYTHING at all).
    When the healer dies, you don't want to take 20% less damage if dps drops more than 20%. When a healer dies, you don't go slower, it becomes a sprint. Dead mobs deal no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Viz Shady View Post
    When the healer dies, you don't want to take 20% less damage if dps drops more than 20%. When a healer dies, you don't go slower, it becomes a sprint. Dead mobs deal no damage.
    Depends on the fight. If it's a periodic burst AoE (like orbs on the first boss in Triumph), it can absolutely be worthwhile to throw on Defensive Pose for it.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    I honestly don't get the "I know more than you, but I'm not telling" posts I see more and more on these forums. Its obvious you never use it and never thought about it. I'd advise that you avoid being conspicuously witless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast