+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Player: Can't Decide on Main Soul (Assassin or Bladedancer)

Soulwalker

Default New Player: Can't Decide on Main Soul (Assassin or Bladedancer)

I've narrowed it down between Assassin and Bladedancer. Perhaps if you all could answer some questions, it'd help me decide. Keep in mind, I plan to level through questing, while doing dungeons as much as I can. I may participate in PvP only casually.

1. Which main soul is best at soloing? What I mean by best is in a typical fight, which I'm not sure if it's usually 1v1 or 1v1+adds, which will kill faster, or if pretty close in kill speed, which will leave me with the most health after a fight.

2. Which main soul is best at grouping?

3. Which two souls would compliment the main soul you think is the best out of the two I've mentioned.

4. Which main soul is best at PvP?

BTW, I'm looking for the best DPS option, not tanking or support. Although tanking and support souls to compliment the main soul is fine if it helps in solo and/or PvP survivability.

Thanks ahead of time for any help given.

Quote Originally Posted by nate1980 View Post
    I've narrowed it down between Assassin and Bladedancer. Perhaps if you all could answer some questions, it'd help me decide. Keep in mind, I plan to level through questing, while doing dungeons as much as I can. I may participate in PvP only casually.

1. Which main soul is best at soloing? What I mean by best is in a typical fight, which I'm not sure if it's usually 1v1 or 1v1+adds, which will kill faster, or if pretty close in kill speed, which will leave me with the most health after a fight.

2. Which main soul is best at grouping?

3. Which two souls would compliment the main soul you think is the best out of the two I've mentioned.

4. Which main soul is best at PvP?

BTW, I'm looking for the best DPS option, not tanking or support. Although tanking and support souls to compliment the main soul is fine if it helps in solo and/or PvP survivability.

Thanks ahead of time for any help given.
    1. Bladedancer, probably.

2. Any of them, in different ways. For instance, Saboteur has superb AoE, but weaker ST damage than other souls. The melee souls tend to do more damage than the ranged souls, but they'll still be worse on some of the melee-unfriendly fights.

3. Depends. Check the guide forum for recommended builds.

4. It was Marksman, but they recently nerfed its PvP damage. I'm unsure how competitive it is now.

But I'll answer the most important question:

"Which main soul should I use?"

All of them. You have up to six specs you can switch between when you want. You don't need to pick just one-- you can set up a diverse array of builds and use them where appropriate. For instance, I carry around three DPS specs, a tank spec, a bard spec, and a soloing spec. I switch between them very often-- sometimes I'll use three different builds in a single dungeon.

In Rift, you're not playing a Nightblade or a Ranger, you're playing a rogue, and you're expected to be flexible. If you're only able to play one build, then you'll often find yourself as a liability to your group.

Soulwalker

Thank you for your help. Sounds like I may be playing the wrong game then. I like to immerse myself into a game, and a large part of that being connected to my character. Of course, that means playing that character the way I envision that character to be played. Regardless of which soul I choose, my character is not adept at the bow, does not use a pet, does not adapt well to new technology, and does not enjoy music.

In other words, my character is ME as I'd like to be inside the game of RIFT, not a vehicle to consume content.

RIFT Guide Writer Sekhmet The Fierce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate1980 View Post
    Thank you for your help. Sounds like I may be playing the wrong game then. I like to immerse myself into a game, and a large part of that being connected to my character. Of course, that means playing that character the way I envision that character to be played. Regardless of which soul I choose, my character is not adept at the bow, does not use a pet, does not adapt well to new technology, and does not enjoy music.

In other words, my character is ME as I'd like to be inside the game of RIFT, not a vehicle to consume content.
    I totally understand where you are coming from, so just to help you with a bit of perspective, Rift has the player characters effectively as characters with demi-godlike powers and abilities. They pretty much control a number of souls which they augment themselves with, hence their ability to switch between strengths, etc.

Ignoring that aspect is pretty much ignoring one of the big lore points of the game. As much as I like to immerse myself in a game as 'me', I don't go ignoring important plot points just to fit myself in. That said, you can still not like pets, music, and be a primarily melee character. Just don't limit yourself too much otherwise you might limit yourself from other parts of the game, which may further reduce your enjoyment.
    "Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."
    He who fights with Monsters should look to it that He himself does not become a Monster. And when you gaze long into an Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

+ Reply to Thread