+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trion: Leaping Plunge Needs Some Love

Ascendant

Default Trion: Leaping Plunge Needs Some Love

Leaping Plunge is a cool ability but, unfortunately, it isn't very useful. I'm level 58 right now and just grabbed it. I am about as geared as you can get for my level and it hits same-level mobs for around 1200-1500 and gives me one combo point. Were I level 60 and in full raid gear with the ability to tear through mobs rapidly, it might have a use in that I could quickly charge to another mob when finished with my current one. However, while leveling and for the foreseeable future even at 60, it is an ability that isn't really useful as I HAVE to open from stealth in order to kill the mobs with any speed.

Another possible thought behind this ability is that you implemented it for PvP purposes as a gap closer. In that sense it is fairly useful but I feel as though there should be more to the ability as it hits very weakly and is not accompanied with any snare, stun, or increased damage.

My recommendation would be the following:

Increase the damage on Leaping Plunge quite a bit and have it automatically apply all equipped poisons on use. This will cause the ability to have use in both PvE and PvP and will allow it to find a comfortable home in an Assassin's toolbelt. For now, I'm backing out of 58 Sin and going back to 54/55 for Malicious Poison so I can go deeper in Riftstalker.
    Moved on from Rift due to: Rift's PvP being a mindless, skilless zerg that has been and will continue to be perpetuated and reinforced :: A horribly optimized engine :: My personal distaste for F2P (already heading down the P2W path) after giving it a fair shake. Rift is an exceptional MMO by an overachieving development team that unfortunately is ruined by a few personally show-stopping issues.

Rift Disciple

leaping plunge is designed to give assassins so much needed mobility, not a one off charge insta debuff thing, poisons proc fast enough as it is

It is categorized as a utility ability. I don't think optimal, or even, highly redeemable damage upon using it, was the intention. More so the tool to enable your proper assassin damage though. Hence, utility. It honestly could have had no damage and just a root and it would have been pretty big for the assassin. The pure melee soul that had 0 gap closers within its own soul.
    Last edited by Violacea; 11-17-2012 at 01:00 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Ascendant

Well, in its current state, it is not very useful as, to do any semblance of damage, an Assassin needs to open from stealth.
    Moved on from Rift due to: Rift's PvP being a mindless, skilless zerg that has been and will continue to be perpetuated and reinforced :: A horribly optimized engine :: My personal distaste for F2P (already heading down the P2W path) after giving it a fair shake. Rift is an exceptional MMO by an overachieving development team that unfortunately is ruined by a few personally show-stopping issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
    Well, in its current state, it is not very useful as, to do any semblance of damage, an Assassin needs to open from stealth.
    That's why it's a gap closer, not an opener.

If you start from stealth, and then the enemy starts to run away, you can use Leaping Plunge to catch up.

One of the reasons I like having Flash of Steel in pvp is it lets me catch up to people quickfastinahurry. Same idea with Plunge but faster recast. If you pvp with assassin you will notice 2 things immediately...One...Once you open up on someone you need to burn them down as fast as possible. Number 2 if you don't manage to kill them, and they rabbit on you, you start to do a chase that usually never ends well for you, or ends with you burning Slip Away/Hidden Veil. Plunge is that fix. Then Thread of Death, paralyze...whatever... gives you some breathing room. A chance to finish the job before you get smoked and saves you the awkward running around trying to escape before you die. Gives you a chance to kill the mark, then slip away again.

It's not a PVE skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzuul View Post
    One of the reasons I like having Flash of Steel in pvp is it lets me catch up to people quickfastinahurry. Same idea with Plunge but faster recast. If you pvp with assassin you will notice 2 things immediately...One...Once you open up on someone you need to burn them down as fast as possible. Number 2 if you don't manage to kill them, and they rabbit on you, you start to do a chase that usually never ends well for you, or ends with you burning Slip Away/Hidden Veil. Plunge is that fix. Then Thread of Death, paralyze...whatever... gives you some breathing room. A chance to finish the job before you get smoked and saves you the awkward running around trying to escape before you die. Gives you a chance to kill the mark, then slip away again.

It's not a PVE skill.
    Sure it is. There are plenty of bosses who make you run out of melee range for some reason, and Leaping Plunge is great for getting back in. It's just not a rotational ability.

+ Reply to Thread