+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Riftstalker Tanking Compairson

Default Riftstalker Tanking Compairson

Hi, looking for opinions with the addition of the Tactition soul, I run a rouge tank with the 51 riftstalker / 8 ranger / 7 bladedancer build and have little to not difficulty, but what is everybody's opinion of running a build more like this:

Riftstalker
    Fortuna Faveat (May Fortune Favor us All)

Plane Touched

There's really no need to go so deep into Tactician, and Barrier Remote isn't required with all our other CDs. You also waste a couple points on aoe damage, which doesn't make a real difference.

I'm fairly sure that this is going to be the way to go:

61 RS / 8 Tac / 7 Rng
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#zgd/tkGlaGBiGB4/Th0

This provides max mitigation with the extra 15 points (10% end, 10% armor, 10% resists, 5% reduced damage) while maxing out Riftstalker.

Alternatively, if you think the gift bonuses will make up the difference, there's 61/8tac/7bard:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#v8g/tkGlaGBiGB4/Th0

This gives 10% end, 10% armor, 10% resists, 3% reduced damage, 4% healing. Also 3.5% end from the bard gift. Hmm. This may end up being better actually.
    Last edited by Caelan; 11-15-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    Skiet - Kelari Rogue - Fires of Heaven - Deepwood

Thanks a lot, Daglar.

Has anyone tested these specs our and if so is there a guide with rotation and what not for them as I am planning on doing some tanking on my rogue now that I have switched to it.
    Wolfehammer, Phantom Wolves Raid Leader
    Cleared DH, GP, GSB, ROS, Master Mods. 2/4 ROTP, 9/11 HK

61rs/15tact/0bd

5/5 into metal plating,
    3/3 boosted defense
    3/3 extended workload
    4/5 strategic advantage

superb mitigation bonuses, + hp, +aoe dmg (means more aoe threat) more aoe abilities, 30 ranged for pulling, plus great mitigation cd's. I don't see why anybody would run anything else.
    Last edited by Mirimon; 11-23-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post
    61rs/15tact/0bd

5/5 into metal plating,
    3/3 boosted defense
    3/3 extended workload
    4/5 strategic advantage

superb mitigation bonuses, + hp, +aoe dmg (means more aoe threat) more aoe abilities, 30 ranged for pulling, plus great mitigation cd's. I don't see why anybody would run anything else.
    Thats false. You get better overall mitigation with the 7ranger/8tact build.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    Thats false. You get better overall mitigation with the 7ranger/8tact build.
    And you get higher effective health with 61RS/8RNG/7Bard.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...5QTRsV0E#gid=5

true, giving up the 20% of my max hp pool as absorb cd, and the + to self healing from curative engine and boosted recovery (both get eclipsed swiftly). I would run this over bard... hands down. I do like + mit and hp from ranger in it.. , tanking without tact at all seems like a poor use of points. tact sub soul comes as 4, 8 points in.. and the 12 point is arguable. in either case, they are fun for tanking.

(really dont care for the bard option only for + hp pool.

You also get +4% healing taken with 7pt Bard
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    You also get +4% healing taken with 7pt Bard
    same for tact
    but with many more tank friendly abilities

Hmmm can't edit previous post.

Anyhow, the more I think about it the more reasons I can find to use 8 Ranger/7 Bard as the go-to spec for general use. I've previously been a champion of 8 Tac/7 RNG but no longer!

Despite the fact that RNG/Bard takes ~2-3% more damage in each category than Tac/RNG it has higher effective health, thus can survive more damage without being healed and due to the increased healing received actually requires less throughput from Healers to keep alive. Also Motif of Bravery if you aren't running a Bard for some obscure reason.

I'm fairly sure that increased healing taken modifiers also affect shields now, although I haven't actually checked.

EDIT: Where does Tactician have increased healing taken? Curative Engine is only a minor heal against a raid boss.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 11-23-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    Nope.

its part of the souls gifts.. like bard, + % amount per point spent... that's for Healing Done, but self curing engines.. necrotic cores to drop (yay more aoe tools for tanking).
    Last edited by Mirimon; 11-24-2012 at 12:23 AM.

61rs/15tact/0bd

5/5 into metal plating,
    3/3 boosted defense
    3/3 extended workload
    4/5 strategic advantage

i have actually been running literally the exact same spec point for point. there really isnt a reason to go with anything else if you only have 1 tank spec. more mitigation than 8 rng 7 brd, and a little less hp (~7.5% end) compared to 8 tact 7 brd, but you gain more aoe damage and 2 more cooldowns.

it is honestly a no brainer.

and for anyone who hasnt figured it out yet, RS is really the best solo spec there is. use this spec and put on all dps gear. keep on guardian phase, constant deviation, splash, arkryons mirror or something similar then pull as many mobs as you can. just keep up power of the planes, and keep mashing your aoes + wrath of the planes, and do not let vortex fall. pulled over 10k dps on a lot of pulls in some t2 randoms. but you should be able to do a solid 3-6k dps depending on how many mobs you pull, and never drop in hp. even if you do, you have endless cooldowns and cannot die.

true, giving up the 20% of my max hp pool as absorb cd, and the + to self healing from curative engine and boosted recovery (both get eclipsed swiftly). I would run this over bard... hands down. I do like + mit and hp from ranger in it.. , tanking without tact at all seems like a poor use of points. tact sub soul comes as 4, 8 points in.. and the 12 point is arguable. in either case, they are fun for tanking.

(really dont care for the bard option only for + hp pool.
    It's not about what you care for, it's about what's best.

This is basic theorycraft. If you need EH-- and for progression, you almost always do-- then bard/ranger is superior in every way.

I can't think of a single encounter, ever, where the tank's AoE DPS contribution was more important than his survival, and that's the only thing that 15tact has going for it over other builds. You pick up Barrier Remote at 12 points in, and at that point, you may as well for 13tact (for the extra endurance talent point). After that, either Bladedancer or Bard will the best use of the last two points.

But even that build isn't particularly great. Barrier Remote won't even absorb a single melee hit from a boss in a dungeon, let alone make a noticeable impact on a raid boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    It's not about what you care for, it's about what's best.

This is basic theorycraft. If you need EH-- and for progression, you almost always do-- then bard/ranger is superior in every way.

I can't think of a single encounter, ever, where the tank's AoE DPS contribution was more important than his survival, and that's the only thing that 15tact has going for it over other builds. You pick up Barrier Remote at 12 points in, and at that point, you may as well for 13tact (for the extra endurance talent point). After that, either Bladedancer or Bard will the best use of the last two points.

But even that build isn't particularly great. Barrier Remote won't even absorb a single melee hit from a boss in a dungeon, let alone make a noticeable impact on a raid boss.
    i have never been in a fight where an extra little bit of hp has been make or break for me. also, barrier remote is something you can use to help mitigate a large attack you can see coming, not to spam at random. also, you get side steps if you do 15 tact and 0 bd. the endurance difference is not worth more mitigation and 2 extra cooldowns.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast