+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Assassin in a week?

Default Assassin in a week?

I've been waiting to see how things shake out going live. For melee dps I've been using the 51BD spec and it's been quite a bit of fun, but I always miss the stealthiness of the assassin class.

I admit I've not spent a good deal of time on Beta, as I'm trying to get my Rogue caught up in rank/gear to hit the ground running come SL.

What does the assassin look like going forward? How competitive will it be as a main soul compared to BD or NB?

There are Assassin specs right now that pull fairly decent numbers, but BD still is (and my guess will remain) the top ST dps spec.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ch-1-11-a.html

RIFT Guide Writer

Assassin got some buffs in the last beta update. I think it will compete with BD for the top rogue dps which is where it should be. All the major changes to assassin have been spot on and addressed the core weaknesses of the soul.

Leaping Plunge is a very good gap closer which is something that was missing entirely or was required to be used for a dps boost. Thread of Death solved the issue of all the stealth skills being useless after the fight has started and it also makes the rotation a lot more interesting. Malicious Poison solves the energy problems. Combo points being stored on the rogue largely fixed the target switching issues.

It still has the positional requirement and no aoe, but we can play other builds if those are a problem for a particular fight. Out of all the rogue souls assassin is the closest to what I was hoping it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Assassin got some buffs in the last beta update. I think it will compete with BD for the top rogue dps which is where it should be. All the major changes to assassin have been spot on and addressed the core weaknesses of the soul.

Leaping Plunge is a very good gap closer which is something that was missing entirely or was required to be used for a dps boost. Thread of Death solved the issue of all the stealth skills being useless after the fight has started and it also makes the rotation a lot more interesting. Malicious Poison solves the energy problems. Combo points being stored on the rogue largely fixed the target switching issues.

It still has the positional requirement and no aoe, but we can play other builds if those are a problem for a particular fight. Out of all the rogue souls assassin is the closest to what I was hoping it would be.
    I always figured the assassin should be top ST melee dps if positional requirements were satisfied. Good to see the class may finally be getting it's due.

I don't know when properly raid buffed atm I am find ST dps to be NB>BD. BD however wins AE. To use as an example to me NB > on Ituziel (wall method) BD > on Maklamos.

That said Sin did get some buffs but since it has ZERO AE, unless you need to drain something I don't see why you would run Sin ibstead of NB or BD even with the buffs.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    I don't know when properly raid buffed atm I am find ST dps to be NB>BD. BD however wins AE. To use as an example to me NB > on Ituziel (wall method) BD > on Maklamos.

That said Sin did get some buffs but since it has ZERO AE, unless you need to drain something I don't see why you would run Sin ibstead of NB or BD even with the buffs.
    How on earth is that possible? What NB spec are you running and how do you manage energy?

You will need a Sin for the 5% Lethal anyways and both BD & Sin is outperforming NB, so NB does need a little buff in DPS. Just take in mind, using Energy pot & timed VoJ is pushing Sin ALOT higher compared to other specs.

I raid only 1 hour per week!

I don't understand this, exactly. Are you saying Sin is still behind both NB and BD in ST dps?

Quote Originally Posted by Khatovar View Post
    I don't understand this, exactly. Are you saying Sin is still behind both NB and BD in ST dps?
    No. Lets say Sin is = on ST dps. It has zero AoE though. So if I have a choice between Soul A with 1000 ST dps and zero AE and soul B with 1000 ST dps and 2000 AoE dps...
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

No. Lets say Sin is = on ST dps. It has zero AoE though. So if I have a choice between Soul A with 1000 ST dps and zero AE and soul B with 1000 ST dps and 2000 AoE dps...
    If Sin is just equal on ST DPS, even with the buffs it just got, then they still have some work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrj View Post
    You will need a Sin for the 5% Lethal anyways and both BD & Sin is outperforming NB, so NB does need a little buff in DPS. Just take in mind, using Energy pot & timed VoJ is pushing Sin ALOT higher compared to other specs.
    I get the same thing with NB (energy pot and VoJ though), especially with the change to DD. Maybe I am just better at NB than the others? I find out of raid BD better. In raid NB better.

I see the Lethal issue though depending on the fight you may have mark of extermination. That said again I am not the type to put on a build that is roughly equal ST BUT has zero AoE. Imo thats just bad design and I don't like encouraging it.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatovar View Post
    If Sin is just equal on ST DPS, even with the buffs it just got, then they still have some work to do.
    Not much they can do. The problem is Sin just doesn't fit in with their balancing paradigm. The game has evolved FAR from what the souls were designed for. The game was supposed to be about hybrids so you could at one time have bladedancer, sabodancer etc. Now they have said not only that it is based on 51 and 61 builds but also that dps should be melee>ranged> when you start saying...

"Well this build does more AE than that...but this build also has some rangedattacks...but this one has a pet that can die....but this one is stronger in PvP...but this one is a better soloer..."

You just end up going around in circles imo. There will always be a soul somewhere that is a red headed step child.

I get the same thing with NB (energy pot and VoJ though), especially with the change to DD. Maybe I am just better at NB than the others? I find out of raid BD better. In raid NB better.

I see the Lethal issue though depending on the fight you may have mark of extermination. That said again I am not the type to put on a build that is roughly equal ST BUT has zero AoE. Imo thats just bad design and I don't like encouraging it.
    Edit limit

I meant I am personally better with NB than say BD...not other players. I do think though that there is more a learning curve with NB and BD and the energy management issue that I know some people have no interest in tackling since BD is good as it stands. I will admit I did not get much trigger time with buffed sin since I worked 14 hours the day they patched that.

Not much they can do. The problem is Sin just doesn't fit in with their balancing paradigm. The game has evolved FAR from what the souls were designed for. The game was supposed to be about hybrids so you could at one time have bladedancer, sabodancer etc. Now they have said not only that it is based on 51 and 61 builds but also that dps should be melee>ranged> when you start saying...

"Well this build does more AE than that...but this build also has some rangedattacks...but this one has a pet that can die....but this one is stronger in PvP...but this one is a better soloer..."

You just end up going around in circles imo. There will always be a soul somewhere that is a red headed step child.
    I don't understand what you are saying. Hybrids are fine if you are looking for versatility, but deep points in a tree should maximize specialization.

The devs have declared all balancing is being done in 51 and 61 point builds. Ailion went so far as to say that hybrids performing better than "pure builds" are broken. The game was originally designed around hyrbidization and pure souls were going to be viable but hybrids were the most competitive. They basically did a 180 from the original design.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast