+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idiot noob questions

Soulwalker

Default Idiot noob questions

brand new player coming over from lord of the rings online. I'm about a week into the game and some things are starting to make sense, others not so much. I will try to have this post make as much sense as possible so bare with me...

I made a rogue on seastone server for pvp exclusive reasons, I'm only level 27 with 24 points in assassin and 12 in blade dancer, 1 riftstalker. I have level 26 crafted armour, 2 rings from granite falls pvp vendor, 2 daggers (one from pvp vendor and the other from a quest in that area) a source core with 3 lesser essences and one greater. all my stuff focuses on dexterity/endurance/strength/attack power/physical critical, etc. but I'm just getting destroyed in warfronts. sure, my damage from stealth does pretty nice numbers but after that I feel like Im swinging a rope. I just started trying to make macros but having a hard time since I've never dealt with them before, I'm not entirely sure how to write one that would actually work.

Ive read the numerous guides here, watched countless video tutorials, etc but havent quite come across what I'm looking for (maybe thats a sign) so, in ending, are pure melee rogues just not viable in pvp? Are there any other rogues that use assassin with blade dancer that could give me some tips/macros for these two souls?

Like i said, I'm completely new and just utterly and horribly suck so let the flaming begin, I really like this game but I could really use some help

thanks

Champion

Assassin doesn't have many of the tools needed for pvping at the level you are. You may want to try putting more points into riftstalker for better survivability as well as good mobility with the blinks. Melee builds can be rough especially at your level. If you want to try something different you could make a night blade build so that you will have some ranged abilities when you need it and also when you can effectively melee you will have some pretty sweet stuff!

Ascendant

as melee you very dependent on being healed. Grab a healer who queues with you and heals you (calles pocket healer) and things will play out VERY different.

Remember: Rift PVP is a TEAM game.

Best thing to search for a nice pvp guild or pve/pvp guild which has people levelling (besides i gues many newcomers will level now). Take those extra Minutes to search for a teammate in chat and you will do much better.

Besides, yes assassin is more of a 1on1 spec in warfronts with all the ae-dmg flying around it lacks some survivability. try a nightblad/riftstalker build with 0 points in bladedance for the 50% evade and you will live longer.

In the addon dmg in lower warfronts will be reduced across the board giving you a better time (but less kills prbly ^^).

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

At your level, Assassin is not a very strong spec. Most guides and videos center around max level play (level 50, soon to be 60) and you'll find they don't really downscale very well.

Assassin really begins to feel tough around level 32 when you get your best DoT (Impale) and then at level 50 you get Serpent Strike. If you want strong Assassin play, you may have to wait until then.

To directly answer your question: Rogues can't really mix it up as a head-on melee class. For now, you're probably going to want to go Marksman. Rogues in this game really have 2 options for PvP.
    1. Skirmisher: Assassin or Marskman; focus on staying at the edge of battles, picking targets of opportunity. As Marksman you use your long range and high maneuverability to do this. As Assassin you use stealth. In either case, if you're getting into a lot of fair fights or trying to mix it up in group melee situations, you're going to get rocked. Take Muhammad Ali's advice: Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
    2. Tank: Bard/Riftstalker; this is your only real option for getting into the thick of battles. Riftstalker lets you take a beating, while Bard gives you some healing. With the recent changes to the bard soul, you can be a pretty tough little cookie with something like 27 Bard / 9 Riftstalker / 0 Assassin

At level 27, with your style, I might do something like this: 27 Marksman / 5 Riftstalker / 4 Assassin
    This spec will give you some of the intermediate marksman abilities, while still keeping survivability with the Riftstalker blink and endurance buff, and you have stealth as well when you want to open in melee or scout something out.

Remember, the key to being successful in Rift is being creative and taking advantage of the nearly-infinite diversity within your calling. Throw your ideas about classes from LOTRO out the window. They really don't apply here.

Good luck!

Ascendant

uh dunharrow what you talking about ^^

nightblade/rs is a very solid melee dps spec where you can survive in the heat of the battle as good as any warrior. You have good burst, many oh **** buttons, and blinks to get out of battle and getting healed fast. no need for a nb to play on the sideway of the action ...

though i admint nb relies a bit on macros but not really difficult ones. really good nb guides in this forum btw.

+ Reply to Thread