+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Completely new Rogue Soul Idea

Default Completely new Rogue Soul Idea

I came up with this idea when thinking about the lack of healing souls in Rift. There is the Chloromancer in Mage, and the three in Cleric, and a couple of support heals including the bard. However that doesn't leave very much variation, especially if, like me, you don't like playing a cleric, so it got me thinking on different ways that healing could be made interesting.

This was a fact that was only pushed on by trying the new World of Warcraft class Monk as a healer. They had done much like the chloromancer, in that you can heal through damage, or by some direct heals, but unlike in Rift, learning to play the monk healer was far easier than in Rift, because they made it quite overpowered in the beginning, so more people were having fun learning a healer, and you had more fun playing. This was something I had forgotten when I had come to Rift, and looking back at WoW, I realized how much I missed healing after trying their different healing specs again, as in rift, I have always found healing, especially in low level dungeons, pretty hard work.

So, I sat down and tried to think up different ways new healers could be integrated into Rift. It is by no means a finished article, and I have not thought up a soul tree or anything, just the general idea, and some specific types of spells that I think would be key.

Here is the first of my ideas. Please though, don't reply if all you have to say is negative, or 'omg rogues should never heal QQ' etc. I want this to be a platform for people to give creative criticism and balanced feedback.

Rogue Melee healer - Medic

Okay, so I was thinking about all the healers out there, and it occurred to me that all the healers in rift are pretty much based on magic, and most games are to be honest. There is a tendency, because its easier, to make healers based in magic, or in ways that seem like magic, such as casting spores and jets of life energy, or healing waters etc. But in fantasy books there is a different type of healer: the one that uses potions and bandages, and because you almost never see that in games, I wanted to make something of the sort here because using physical things either as the main healing tool is interesting.
    There are four main ways that I see this working:
    - Seals
    - Bandages and Poultices
    - Potions and smelling salts
    - Injections

Seals
    I came up with this idea because of the beginning of an old film I saw called 'Mr Vampire'. In this, the vampires come to life if they don't have magical charms stuck upon their foreheads.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wiGkCtTEQI (0-7mins)
    I remember thinking that they were like post-it notes, but I liked the idea that a physical, yet powerful item could be attached to a person or mob and have a deep impact.

Right, so the main thing I wanted the healing spec to be based around was a set of two bars, and these would be special to this spec. Each bar has four or five spaces in it. One bar is a healing bar, and the other is a damage bar. The basic premise for these is that they are physical holders of something like wax seals, each one having a rune or symbol on them, and these seals are then placed on ally or enemy.

The healing bar has one stronly coloured seal (high intensity), one medium coloured seal (medium intensity), and two or three light coloured seals (low intensity). These are put on players depending on who needs the most healing. These seals would have to be put on the player/s before or during the fight, and any extra healing someone needs would have to be done by swapping over the seals between players, or by additional heals using other means (see below). These seals would last quite a long time, but would need to be re-applied physically if the fight is a long one. I don't see these seals taking a 'cast-time' to apply, but they would need to be in melee distance to do so.

Likewise the damage seals can be put on many targets, or indeed one single target like a boss, and does over time damage by sucking the health from the mob. This is more of a sideline bonus because the trick of the seals is that they are a set that change their form. The damaging seals will suck life out of the boss until they are filled up with life, then they can be taken off the boss/enemies and put onto allies, and that extra life is sucked from the seals and transferred into the group. The people being healed will have to have their seals taken off once they have been healed a certain amount that equals the health that was put into them (the intensity of the seal depends on how much life is stored), and after that point it reverses and will start to suck out life from the players and should be taken off and put on the enemy so it sucks the life off them instead.

I thought either that the two sets of seals were linked, and one would connect with the other of the same symbol, so the healing would transfer directly until they got to the stage where they had to be switched over, or alternatively (and more challenging) would be to have it as single targets that each worked on their own, so you could end up with 6-8 seals all healing at the same time, but then all of them needing to be recharged at the same time which would leave a gap in healing with them unless managed.

So, the healer is actually, instead of using their own power and mana to heal, they are using magical seals to transfer health between the enemies and the group. This would limit a healer of this sort to only healing up to five players at a time, but that could possibly be increased if their box of seals got upgraded in their soul tree (as if they had trained for years and was able to multitask to that extent) so that it would be viable as a raid healing spec.

Bandages and poultices
    Bandages and poultices are in pretty much every fantasy game and book, and yet they are rarely ever used in the heat of battle. Well why? generally because it isn't realistic to make that happen, but sometimes it did in real warfare, where the medics had to go onto a battlefield to drag off injured people, or try and render help on the battlefield near the rear lines.. But what if it was practical due to the powers that the people had in this game? If ascended can take down dragons, they can surely heal in the middle of battle using items.

So the use of bandages would be to supplement and increase healing above and beyond what the seals can do. There would be two types of them, bandage that would be a channelled heal up to a certain amount of seconds, and the poultice, which would be a cast time to apply, but had lingering effects afterwards, such as extra healing or poison removal and prevention, charmed poultices that had holy effects to dispel and prevent curses etc.

The thing about bandages, is that you have to prepare them, and some of that can be done before battle, but I think it would be interesting to have a healer actually have to prepare these bandages as part of their rotation and in times of lull in healing needed.

Potions and smelling salts
    These I foresee as being topical with a cooldown on the availability of potions, but not of the smelling salts. The potions I think should be a spray, rather than forcing a player to drink (I mean if they are fighting, it wouldn't be practical for them to have a drink forced upon them, and would most likely end up in their untimely death at the hands of an enemy), so having small scale sprays there with concentrated contents would be better. These I see as being for topical irritants, such as poisons, curses (holy water), being set on fire etc.

The smelling salts are more like a blast of smell that awakens the senses, so they could be used for waking someone from a stunned state, or for giving a temporary boost to players.

Injections
    These would be limited to a main cooldown as they are meant to be strong but for emergencies. They would be putting a very concentrated and strong-hitting drug into the system, either to heal or to cure. If its a cure, it would last a long time. It would also be possible that the use of an injection could cancel a stunned person merely by its use (it could be filled with something non-related) or be filled with something that stopped them being silenced or mind controlled etc.

Manoeuvrability
    Okay, so this is all very interesting, but how does a person get around a battlefield and do all these things? After all, these all need to be done in melee, and usually in battle everyone is a good distance away. Well, I think that it has to do with either a blink or charge type ability that is not limited to a cooldown, this way the rogue can zip between the different players, appearing behind them and doing what needs to be done before zipping to the next person. The deeper in the tree they get, the more manoeuvrability they get.

Working with other souls
    I realize that this idea might be seen as overpowered when linked with another class, as this skill (manoeuvrability) would need to be there right at the beginning, but the dps rogue needs to be able to use the other blink skills to gain the buff, while this skill wouldn't do that. It might be useful for a rogue tank though to pick up stray mobs off people if in dire circumstances and add some self-healing while on bosses.

Variations
    I dont want this soul to be the 'if you play this as a healer, you must do it this way' sort of thing. I want variation to be in it, much as different healers in real life will have different skill-sets. So I think it is important in the soul to have different buffs that will help the players do certain thing well, and only if they do the whole soul completely will they get all the buffs and bonuses.

These variations could include a physical buff that increases the healing of a certain type of skill out of the four, such as
    - injections (giving an extra one of a type),
    - potions (longer over time effects),
    - smelling salts (better coverage or longer buffs from them),
    - seals (possibly a neturalise function that would return the two sets to their natural state, or add more seals, or make the seals last longer on their targets),
    - bandages (has the preparing time or bandaging time cut down)
    - % stronger preparations or buffs

The soul is mainly a dungeon/raid healer type soul, rather than a tank healer, but it can be because of the versitility of the seals. If all the seals were put on enemies, or a boss, and the tank got all of the healing seals put on him/her, with the healer standing with him, or zipping in to put on bandages when needed, then it would be viable. If the tank healing option was not wanted to be included, then the seals could be made so that only one seal could be placed on each person.

Playstyle summary
    Overall, I wanted a soul that was fun to play, but not too stressful. To this extent I have added in a lot of over time effects that will keep players healthy with the over-time effects, while still having the fun of being able to be super mobile around the battlefield and managing the different effects you have on offer.
    Manoeuvrability - a main skill of the soul that lets the medic move around the battlefield with ease and speed, also allowing them to avoid mobs and damage if used properly
    Main heal - Seals that give over time effect that have to be swapped over with seals on enemy
    bandages and poultices - boost of healing on those that need it, and over time effects to players, need to be made up when time is not needed for healing a lot
    Potions and smelling salts - give temporary buffs and effects
    Injections - large instant heals for emergency moments

Okay, so that is the idea. Let your creativity flow
    Last edited by quietscribe; 10-29-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    Harrier the Corgimancer

Oh, dear. Rogues are already getting a new soul in some few days:

http://stormlegion.riftgame.com/en/souls/tactician/

I am aware of the new souls. This was about something different. Please keep to the topic if you are going to reply.
    Harrier the Corgimancer

Soulwalker

I like the idea but don't think the melee part will work, atleast not in pvp and raids, as having to move would be too much of a penalty. A way to keep the "melee" feel would be to have between 10-20 meter range and then also be able to cast/channel some of the less strong heals while moving.

Tho I agree with the need of variety in souls. As a warrior especially I've felt that all my souls are the same, the current patch only made that feel stronger with the change to burst finishers in RB (apart from our loved SnB spec with warlord that's surely due a nerf or two).

Like the threat, trion needs all the help they can get with creative ideas for how to make souls more unique and interesting.

P.S. All the buffs warriors have to keep up ain't making the specs more fun to play, how about some procs and such instead? Just an idea!!!

giving us rogues a pure healing soul will give us 4 roles. Trion wants all classes to have 3 roles.

I do like the overal idea for your soul though, nice going there. Maybe when Trion indeed decides that all callings should be able to do all roles(which i dont expect they ever will), it would be a nice one
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

I'd bring up the idea again when/if they ever decide to release more souls. Right now they're doing the final touches on SL and existing souls so I seriously doubt they'd add anything else new.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Atm this is a pipe dream really. It's just to talk about it to talk about it. The reality of this is so moot knowing everyone is getting souls and realizing what the timeline would realistically be until we might see new ones.

I mean you put thought into it but, I don't get it. What is the meaning of this discussion?
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

I was going to parody this thread but I got bored before I started.

It may be moot at the moment, but there is no harm in discussing things like this now. It certainly isn't pointless.

I would also say that there were many discussions on housing soon after the release of Rift, and while they didn't have any intentions back then of doing housing, many of those ideas have now been made into Dimensions. Trion do listen to feedback, and it was Elrar who suggested I post the idea here where people could give feedback on it, because staff do tend to take on ideas that people give positive feedback on.

Of course, if you all think such discussions and ideas are pointless, nothing will happen with it, and that is up to you guys, but personally I think there is a great deal of enjoyment out of discussing what might be, and playing with ideas in games. I thought it might be a fun thing to discuss while we all wait for Sl to come out.
    Harrier the Corgimancer

+ Reply to Thread