+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Muspel

Thread: RS/Tactician tanking....

Default RS/Tactician tanking....

During the first beta I made a tank using RS primarily with 15 points in Tactician. I was using two tank builds before this, Bard/RS and a BD/RS. When SL goes live, I will be using just one, the RS/Tactician.

The Tactician tree offers HP, mitigation, heals and AEs. You are going to get a super beefy tank with toys, yep toys. Tacticians get these cores that they can drop: a HoT, a reactive damage, and a AE damage. I was shifting in to battle, dropping a heal core, slamming out AE damage and held agro like a magnet. They really did a great job, the Tactician synergizes well with the RS.

Don't panic guys, 1.11 was to prepare for the new order, Storm Legion. Go do beta and look at that Tactician tree, its too much for one soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Wait, I haven't looked at Tactician since beta 1, but wasn't curative core so conveniently hidden away at 16 points? Was it moved up for synergy? I'll have to check myself later when I get the chance...
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

For irrelevant content sure. But anytime having a proper tank actually matters you're going to want Tac/Rng subspec for %DR
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    For irrelevant content sure. But anytime having a proper tank actually matters you're going to want Tac/Rng subspec for %DR
    Have you built any Tac/RS that you wouldn't mind sharing? Also, tactics, I was just playing with the build to see what all it could do, not what was best to do. Any insights on new ways to tank with Tac in the build?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Bliter View Post
    Have you built any Tac/RS that you wouldn't mind sharing? Also, tactics, I was just playing with the build to see what all it could do, not what was best to do. Any insights on new ways to tank with Tac in the build?
    Check on the beta forums. While I get that beta is open, there is still an NDA to observe for those that did not pre-order, get in, or otherwise did not want the information ahead of time to some extent.

Edit: I see one other poster saying the NDA was lifted, though I don't see the notice of that. In the event that is the case, still check the beta forums.
    Last edited by Rethan Sorrowsoul; 10-19-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Prophet of Telara

I remember in beta 1 I went 13 into Tactician with my tank spec, seemed better than the 8 points in ranger.
    World First Maelforge, Salvarola and Ultane.
    Officially quit!
    Props to my old guilds: eXile, Special Olympics, Exploit, Last Dawn

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Jupp, progression tank will be 61RS/8Tac/7Ranger. While Boosted Defenses and Bolster both reduce damage by 1 percent, the 8 point tactician ability "necrotic core" is probably more useful than "rejuvenate", which only applies to a pet. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mandarb View Post
    Jupp, progression tank will be 61RS/8Tac/7Ranger. While Boosted Defenses and Bolster both reduce damage by 1 percent, the 8 point tactician ability "necrotic core" is probably more useful than "rejuvenate", which only applies to a pet. ;)
    7 Bard may be better than 7 Ranger, because you get .5% endurance for each point in the soul (on top of the 10% bonus from Good Health). When I hit level 60 after Storm Legion comes out, I'm going to redo the EH calculations to figure out which is higher. Passive additive mitigation effects are a lot less effective than they used to be, now that there are less of them, but I don't know if it's enough to be a tipping point.

It's also worth noting that if there's a reduction in boss damage compared to tank health, then EH will become significantly less valuable, and putting 7 points in Bladedancer will become significantly more desirable.

If anyone is level 60 yet in the beta, I can do the calculations if you give me your health in 61RS/8Tact/7RNG and your health in 61RS/8Tact/7Bard. Please do this while only buffed with Planebound Resilience and Guardian Phase active, because any other buffs, including the endurance fanfare that bard hybrids get, will throw off the numbers.
    Last edited by Muspel; 10-20-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Okay, quick update. Based on Primalthirst's spreadsheet, it looks like 61RS/8RNG/7Bard has the highest effective health. 61RS/8Tact/7RNG is extremely close, though (we're talking a 1% difference here), and taking slightly less damage can be more beneficial depending on healer output. We'll have to see how hard the bosses hit in T4 and what healer thoroughput is like.
    Last edited by Muspel; 10-20-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Telaran

61RS/15TC will be my tanking spec

61RS/11BDancer/4Bard will be my avoidance/grind spec

Havent tried the 61 ability yet, but looks like we are hurting on self heals so tentavily planning to keep 61 in rift stalker for the time being.

Don't forget you get a decent shield at 12 points into Tactician, might be better than the passive mitigation from Ranger for some fights.
    Dummy Foundry rocks. CQ blows. Energy is meh. MORE ROLE SLOTS! Burma shave.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleMagnet View Post
    Don't forget you get a decent shield at 12 points into Tactician, might be better than the passive mitigation from Ranger for some fights.
    Been toying with the idea of that sort of build myself. Just for kicks I even made a MAX RS/12 Tact/3BD build to dungeon with.

All right, I doubt it's the most practical raid tank build in the world but damn is it fun to play. So many toys...
    Last edited by Kedon; 10-22-2012 at 12:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread