+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where did the spell effects go?

Soulwalker

Default Where did the spell effects go?

I've always thought Rifts spell visual effects were on the bland side when compared to other similar games but I just logged onto my Rogue and respected into MM/Rang and wtf. It feels like I'm not even shooting anything or using any abilities. No visuals on fanout, shadow fire, splinter, concussive blast anymore. Only thing that feels somewhat tangible is the little crosshaired visual of deadeye during cast time. Not to mention the same bland sound clip for every ability used

I really hate to use this comparison as I cant stand the game but WoW's Hunter, given the age has fantastic spell visuals. From Cobra shot to black arrow to explosive etc etc, I saw and heard the various abilities I was using and made gameplay a bit more enjoyable.

This crap just feels circa 1998. Anyone else feel this way? I mean if you can have an epic spell visual for something so trivial as changing souls or even soul recalling why not add some love to the abilities.
    Last edited by Seyda; 10-17-2012 at 08:37 PM.

I made a similar reply elsewhere, but I feel rifts gameplay and combat abilities overall feels behind, like your example. These are abilities we spam everyday and combat animations is what adds the addictveness. Lot of em are stale, but they dont seem to grasp that
    Bloodiron - Ayronamic

Noticed this last night too; I much rather prefer the old spell effects on skills such as concussive blast, fanout, shadow fire, etc. The varied effects actually provided visual impact that you were doing something. As they stand now with the changes, running 2 dungeons last night I didn't really feel like I was doing anything other than bland auto-attacking.

While the attacks do have some effects, such as concussive blast generating a little bit of fire at the target(s) feet, you have to be really close up to see the effect at all. Considering we live at 30+ range for entire fights, these effects are incredibly difficult to see, especially in a group where other classes have spell effects going off around the target.

I'm not looking for exaggerated spells effects, I honeslty liked the toned down style of Rifts spell effects. But what I am looking for is for these changes to be reversed, or updated in some way for Rogues so that we can actually see that we're doing something, other than looking like bland auto-attacks and dps numbers popping up on screen.
    I'm sorry you guys, I just haven't been the same since Michael Jackson died in that knife fight.

Ascendant

The trouble is that guns were way better than bows due to the flight time animations. Making guns have flight time animations and delays is kind of silly . . . so now you have laser bows instead . . . If you look really close (or maybe it's just if you have your 'spell detail' setting on 3 in the advanced video options) you can still see the path, it's just not a nice arrow flying in an arc anymore . . . but it also fixed teh disparity between guns and bows, so even though I don't like the animations as much I think its' a worth while trade.

I'm fine with decreased flight time, but I'd still prefer that the graphical effects be restored. Give me flaming arrows for concussive blast, or some other kind of noticeable effect really. I'm honestly fine with the updated flight time animations, but as it currently stands Rangers/Marksman with bows look like they aren't doing anything other than auto-attacking with is really, really bland and boring. There should be a way in my opinion to make the effects of each skill look different without sacrificing the amount of time for the damage to trigger.
    Last edited by Maesyn; 10-18-2012 at 06:54 AM.
    I'm sorry you guys, I just haven't been the same since Michael Jackson died in that knife fight.

I have the same issue with warrior animations. It feels as if the animations have too much delays..
    used to be a proud member of Rift Runners till madness took over.

On the other hand I really like the new effects for crossfire. I've also noticed some odd things with the spell effects setting, I seem to lose the feast glow on 3 but it's there on 2.
    Dummy Foundry rocks. CQ blows. Energy is meh. MORE ROLE SLOTS! Burma shave.

+ Reply to Thread