+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New player seeks advice on stealth souls

Default New player seeks advice on stealth souls

I'm new to Rift, coming over from SWTOR and WoW before that. I know I want to have stealth and it looks like I have a choice between Assassin and Nightblade.

At first glance it looks to me like assassin is more about poisons while nightblade is more about elemental damage at the expense of weapon damage. Does the elemental damage make up for the loss of weapon damage and poisons?

I'm planning to put most of my points into Bladedancer and take either Assassin or Nightblade for stealth. Does either offer better synergy with Bladedancer?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I suppose I should add that my focus is on PVE
    Last edited by Platostotle; 09-17-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Hellos and welcome!

To answer in a decent way I'd like to know what kind of player you are (PvPer? PvE? a bit of both? etc)
    Being a rogue myself I can tell you that if you want "unlimited" (perma) stealth you need to be deep assassin. Otherwise the stealth is a temporary one (30ish seconds - don't remember the exact duration).

in PvE the nightblade based spec (49nb/17sin/0xx) is a good choice, while the Sin one (32sin/20Rs/14mm) is good but a bit less usable (at least in the T3 of raiding, Infernal Dawn and Primeval Feast)

For PvP, I send you to read the PvP rogue guide, which has some good NB and Sin specs.

Remember however that in this game, you play a class, not only a spec. So having also ranged specs is really advised!

I edited my OP to reflect my PVE focus.

At what point do you get to switch between roles?

Level 10 me thinks (was level 10 2 years ago :P).

at 50, you can have up to 6 readly-swappable specs

Quote Originally Posted by Hargin View Post
    Level 10 me thinks (was level 10 2 years ago :P).

at 50, you can have up to 6 readly-swappable specs
    You must've been playing in beta, seeing as how the game launched march of 2011

Either that or my calendar is MONTHS behind.

---
    Anyway, you can swap roles at any point after you've picked up additional role slots. You purchase them from your class trainers, and I'm pretty sure they're available in the tutorial area you start in.

First one's dirt cheap, other role slots are progressively more expensive.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Was in beta aswell yeah

while stealth is handy for general pve as in leveling and solo questing, it has had nearly no functional use what so ever in the raid environment.

on a side note.. if stealth is what you really want.. warriors will have it also..

Quote Originally Posted by Platostotle View Post
    I know I want to have stealth and it looks like I have a choice between Assassin and Nightblade . . . . .Does either offer better synergy with Bladedancer? . . . .
    Bladedancer is a very interesting soul and I wish I had ever had time to really experiment with it. I'm not aware of it particularly synergizing with either of the stealthy souls though at launch a suggested combo for Bladedancer was Assassin and Riftblade. I've had both a deep assassin and a deep nightblade primary before but never Bladedancer.

If you want just a few points into one of those two souls so that you can occasionally cloak yourself and sneak past baddies while questing, I think either is probably fine, you only need to put 4 points into it. You can make either your tertiary soul easily. With Assassin you'll get 1 poison buff and a backstab move usable from concealment from behind; with Nightblade you'll get a spammable ranged attack (simulating hurled daggers - very nice actually) and a ranged attack for use while stealthed.

Assassin gets a sap (no aggro stun) at 6 points, and after investing 20 in the soul you can buy a talent to make your stealth perma. Nightblade gets its sap at 8 points and no perma option. Personally I would love to have Riftblade in there too as a soul, at least for a while in leveling, because for 0 points you get Shadow Shift which is a 15 meter teleport which does not break stealth.

The great thing about this game is you can try permutations of these souls and simply reset your talent points with a trainer and change your mix. (It's free at very low levels and reasonably cheap after.)

Thanks for the advice guys.

It's worth noting that Nightblade is energy starved to the point of unplayability without a specific buff (Living Energy/Fervor), and you'll only have that with a Bard or a Chloromancer in the group. This means that the spec is unusable while soloing and in the vast majority of 5-man groups.

Assassin's PvE DPS is quite low. There's only two times when it sees use: the first is for Bloodstalker (guide in my signature), a highly specialized ST DPS hybrid spec that's only useable on a couple of fights, and the second is on Laethys, because you need Debilitating Poison to drain her energy (and even there, people often use a Bloodstalker variant with the poison).

If you want a PvE spec with stealth, I recommend 51 bladedancer/10 assassin/5 riftstalker. It's not energy starved, and has solid ST and AoE DPS. You have stealth and several utility abilities, including an interrupt. Gyle has a guide for this spec in the guide section of the forums.

For leveling, I recommend the soloing spec in Zyzyx's Rogue Bible, which is stickied at the top of the rogue guide section.

Plane Touched

OK for PVE assassin at 14 points has leeching poison, that buff deal damage and heal you at same time! you need this for PVE, autoheal is good

For PVP use NB for wf's assassin for 1vs1

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    For leveling, I recommend the soloing spec in Zyzyx's Rogue Bible, which is stickied at the top of the rogue guide section.
    Thanks for the guides. I've already taken a look at the Rogue Bible, but unfortunately I'm not a fan of ranged soloing. Even in a group I prefer to stand toe to toe with the enemy (or slightly behind).
    Last edited by Platostotle; 09-18-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks for the guides. I've already taken a look at the Rogue Bible, but unfortunately I'm not a fan of ranged soloing. Even in a group I prefer to stand toe to toe with the enemy (or slightly behind).
    The leveling build is a melee spec past level 35.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    The leveling build is a melee spec past level 35.
    I know, but I've just started my rogue. I'll definitely take another look at that build once I've leveled though.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

I'm new to Rift, coming over from SWTOR and WoW before that. I know I want to have stealth and it looks like I have a choice between Assassin and Nightblade.

At first glance it looks to me like assassin is more about poisons while nightblade is more about elemental damage at the expense of weapon damage. Does the elemental damage make up for the loss of weapon damage and poisons?

I'm planning to put most of my points into Bladedancer and take either Assassin or Nightblade for stealth. Does either offer better synergy with Bladedancer?

Thanks in advance

First lets change the way you think.

In SWTOR and WOW, you choose a single class and then specialize in the way you want to play. You have little versatility and you can't change your specialization without spending lots of gold/credits.

In RIFT, versatility is the name of the game. You can have Nightblade and Assassin and any mixture of the 2. If you press N to open the soul tree, at the bottom you have up to 6 roles, and each of these roles allows you to spec into any 3 of the 8 rogue souls.

For Role 1, you might see how you like 51 Assassin // 10 Marksman // 5 Riftstalker. This style of play is going to feel very similar to an Operative or Scoundrel in SWTOR. You focus on stealth openers and use a lot of bleeds with passive poison damage. This role would mostly be used for single targets like bosses or for PvP.

For Role 2, you might try 49 Nightblade // 17 Assassin // 0 Riftstalker. This style of play is rather unique and focuses on dealing elemental melee damage bursts and strong area damage. This spec is perfect for blasting through dungeons and killing bosses. Its very much a PvE spec.

You can find some good guides here.

Don't forget to experiment. There are all sorts of fun combinations! Saboteur is a popular soul that involves using bombs and explosives to get huge damage combos on groups of mobs and Ranger is a pet-based soul that has strong survivability and single-target damage.

Don't forget to use macros. Unlike SWTOR, Rift has a robust and useful macro system that lets you group multiple abilities together on a single button, to simplify your bar. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast