+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue weapons, and PA Oh my! :p

Default Rogue weapons, and PA Oh my! :p

Hey all,

I've always had a little rogueling but never really worked on her much. Well, lately I've been playing her more and got her 4pc ID/hk and I'm on a progression ID raid as bard.

For now my DPS Spec is Ranger because I don't normally get to have 30 range on my main char, so I enjoy pew pewing from afar, and look at the ranger dps items on Qan's list.

So talking weapons (and PA) I'm trying to decide which direction I should go.

Currently for melee 1 handers I have:
    1x Molten Brand
    2x Savage Beastcarver

For Range I have lightning's kiss. Not the best but I have to take what I can get. And I was very happy to get rid of my old crappy RoS bow.

Now ID or PF drops wise who knows when I will ever really get anything. I'm the low leather wearer on the totem pole. The only thing I may really have a shot at is the charred songblade because I am the raid's bard.

I was looking into PVP weapons as possible upgrades but the BiS only lists avenger longsword and it seems to be really far down on the list, farther down then the Molten Brand or Savage Beastcarver, despite it's higher DPS.

On the other hand, molten brand in ROTP is very high on the list and MUCH more accessable to me then grinding out rank 50 (I'm 25 now) or planning on somehow some way winning an ID/PF weapon.

Also, I noticed the rank 50 dagger PVP weapon is just not even on the bis list- why? And where would it be placed on the list?

So yeah basically I want to know given this information should I go swords, planning for a future where I may get a songblade, or go daggers because I can get those now.

I like the air tree a lot, dex, daggers, bows. But I could respec PA if needed, plus our account will share PA soon and I'll have a bunch more to play with.

Thoughts? Any thoughts really, would be helpful.

Thanks
    Last edited by Hodor; 09-12-2012 at 10:37 AM.

So as I never play barb I can not answer if the PVP ranged weapon would be helpful or a good upgrade as I dont remember if the bard range skills are based of of ranged or melee weapons. If it is based off of ranged I would upgrade to the pvp ranged item.

All you are truly attmpting to do (aside from maxing either your main hand or ranged DPS which ever is your damage based item for bard) is get the crit softcap and then build your AP up. So you have a Bow and a dagger which suggests going all air to start with. However you have two beast cavers which adds a caveat. The caveat being its way easier to max out one level of PA than two. So in order to get the max PA benifit you want two swords adn a rifle or two daggers and a bow.

Just as an FYI you would want all your PAs maxed so you could have a rifle and two daggers.

Anyway, what I would recommend for you is, if you can get the pvp rifle adn use the two swords. That will give you the most bang for your buck in the PA arena. However, if you need the HIT for ID and you need to keep that BOW then stay bow and daggers. use molten brandbrandmain hand and whatever good dager in teh other. PVP daggers will suffice if you can keep your hit up.

Once you have enough PAs then mix and match your weapons until your crit cap is near or at soft and then max out your AP.

Thanks ... if I was going to choose rank 50 PVP weaps, should I go for Daggers or Swords?

I'm assuming that axes aren't a good option because there aren't many axe drops in ID/PF, vs tons of Daggers and Swords.

My hit is good to go for now.
    Last edited by Hodor; 09-13-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsurfing View Post
    Thanks ... if I was going to choose rank 50 PVP weaps, should I go for Daggers or Swords?

I'm assuming that axes aren't a good option because there aren't many axe drops in ID/PF, vs tons of Daggers and Swords.

My hit is good to go for now.
    I'd go for swords and pray for a songblade. We've been killing Ituziel since the first week ID came out and got our first songblade a month ago. It's random so you can't count on it, but as the bard you're almost guaranteed to get it.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Those drop for us like cheap store candy.

BOWs used ot ahve a delay between skill click and the damage landing called travel time. I believe that was fixed though. So for that reason many people went to gun. What defintiely still isnt fixed is the Fan Out skill which shows a tracer from you to all your targets when using fan out. For PVE some think that is a cool feature, but if you PVP at all (even if not competively) you don't want the bow showing your exact location so the warriors know exactly the easy squishy to go for.

FOr those reasons alone I recommend gun which = the fire PA. Now add that you have two beast carvers makes two reasons, the third reason is the epic gear combos for rogues include swords, finally you are the guild's bard which means you're guaranteed teh songblade... Its just a no brainer to go swords.

Of course once you are in the second teir of your fire PA only get the gun so you can go to your other PA trees amd get the first teir's of gun, dex, and strength filled out with as much extra PA as you have left. The priority order is just how I listed them unless your skill damage is based off of your main hand then it would be sword, dex, str, gun.

Again the order of priority is dependant upon what the damage is based from main hand or ranged for the bard class.

Thanks guys. So one more question.

I'm currently running the 51/10mm/5rs bard spec.

I read once that having MM or Ranger allows your cadence to scale off ranged weapon DPS. Is that still true?

But what if I get the charred songblade and it is > my HK gun dps. I would want to switch spec to use melee weapon dps for cadence scaling? (depends on if this is even true)

Thanks guys. So one more question.

I'm currently running the 51/10mm/5rs bard spec.

I read once that having MM or Ranger allows your cadence to scale off ranged weapon DPS. Is that still true?

But what if I get the charred songblade and it is > my HK gun dps. I would want to switch spec to use melee weapon dps for cadence scaling? (depends on if this is even true)
    As no one ahs repsonded to you and I have never played a bard (aside form a year ago briefly) I would recommend you use an addon damage meter and switch out gear while practicing on a dummy. You should be able to tell what your cadence is based off of by changing your ranged weapon and then your melee weapon to determine which has imapct. Then add in ranger or MM to your spec to determine if anything has changed. You get one free class respect anyway. Not to mention, ther eis nothign to buy in the game if you ahve been 50 for at least a littel bit and have dungeon or pvp gear.

Cadence is a ranged attack <-> scales with your ranged slot weapon.

But it still scales like crap.
    Last edited by Rounded; 09-19-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Telaran

Daggers and bows are probably the the best combination for maxing weapon and dex PA with the fewest points invested.

The problem is, good daggers are hard to get in T2 and T3 raiding. By the time you are raiding at that level, you will only want weapons with +AP, you should have plenty of crit from your gear and dex in PA. RotP has the molten brand, and the only good dagger I can think of in HK is the Soliton Blade from Akylios. The only good dagger I can think of in T3 is Anger from Maelforge, and it is unique equip. The PvP daggers are +crit, the swords give way more AP.

Where there are a lot more swords with +AP, granted some of them may be str heavy instead of dex, you should have enough dex that you still reach the crit soft cap in raids. HK has the Savage Beastcarver, Rolling Thunder, and Fang of Akylios. RotP has the Flamesickle, and there is the option of PvP swords. T3 has a pair of swords from PF, another pair from Rusila, and the Charred Songblade from Ituziel.

The Charred songblade doesn't do anything special for bards until you get a Maelforge heart to upgrade it, I think all of our rogues have one.

Unfortunately PA and gear for rogues has been made a pain IMO, on the lower levels of gear its all daggers and bows but once you hit HK you start seeing much more swords and guns. At lower PA levels it is always an advantage to have the same weapon type for main hand and off hand for the 2x pa for the same cost as if they were different. Sounds like you would prob be over crit cap already, least I was when I had MB and beastcarvers and lightnings kiss(most hated bow in the world). As much as it sucks your prob going to be blowing that 100 plat for PA respec a few times to keep all your stats maxed. And more than likely you will be needing gun PA soon, there is only 1 more bow upgrade for you until laethys and there are 3 guns between that upside is fire PA being gun and sword and you already have the beastcarvers. I haven't noticed the pvp r50 daggers not on the bis sheet but that is cause they suck, critted up POS's the warrior one's with AP on it would def be the better choice but I think are about the same as the beastcarvers so not much point there. It pretty much sounds like you at the point that maxing swords and guns will get you farther in the long run while may not to much for you right this minute. Hope you have a lot of plat, from where your gear is until I had enough PA to max everything I respeced quite a few times to keep my stats as high as I could get them.

+ Reply to Thread