+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Riftstalker Tanking Build

Default Riftstalker Tanking Build

Im posting this thread to get some input from those of you who are more expirenced in Riftstalker Tanking. I have some expeirence with builds and the like from playing other MMOs such as WOW (5 year vet) and City of Heros/Villans (2 year vet) but I have noticed that Rift is vary diffrent, so I just want to be sure that I'm headed in the right direction for my build before I commit too deeply into it.

My Riftstalker Build: Riftstalker Tank Build

Anyways let me know please.

Don't use that. Use this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dqkkR.xb.xh.-7

You're missing out on a ton of passive buffs to improved guardian phase/improved rift guard by not going 51pt riftstalker.

You absolutely cannot go below 8 ranger regardless.
    Last edited by Valnak; 09-09-2012 at 12:22 PM.

An excellent guide is found here: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...nks-1-8-a.html

Yeah, I think what we're getting at here is: if you're going to make lulzy tank specs, don't be half-assed about it:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...kR.E0zmV0oo.-7

PS I call it "Tank-them with Competence"
    Last edited by Vera; 09-09-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    Yeah, I think what we're getting at here is: if you're going to make lulzy tank specs, don't be half-assed about it:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...kR.E0zmV0oo.-7

PS I call it "Tank-them with Competence"
    Oh god my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    Sure you can.

My default tank spec only has 7 points in ranger =P
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Telaran

While you can go under 51 points in riftstalker, I would HIGHLY recommend you don't. I can't even begin to tell you how many times going immune for 3 seconds will help/save you. About to get hit by a wave on Ituziel? Immunity through it! Maelforge about to hose you with a big breath after you got hit by a wave. Immunity through all of it!

It is such a clutch cooldown I couldn't imagine tanking without it.

Other than that, the two main tank variants come down to the subspecs. Bard/Ranger if the most dangerous parts of the fight are magical damage (or all magical damage, Garau). Use Bd/ Ranger for more passive avoidance, faster cp building (the reactive of bd) and the dodge ability which makes you a dodging master.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Scatter is so awesome it's unbelievable. You can negate almost any mechanic with perfect timing of this.

3 seconds is also an amazing amount of time when you're taking way too much damage and waiting for a HI/RF or bloom.

Telaran

Scatter is so awesome it's unbelievable. You can negate almost any mechanic with perfect timing of this.

3 seconds is also an amazing amount of time when you're taking way too much damage and waiting for a HI/RF or bloom.
    Agreed. There is no better feeling than going immune with a gray screen and watching a bunch of green immunes flying by.

Thank you for all your tips, after reading through all the info and looking at all the links i narrowed my build to this Riftstalker Build. I tried to take into account everything you all told me.
    Fortuna Faveat (May Fortune Favor us All)

Rift Disciple

Don't use that. Use this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dqkkR.xb.xh.-7

You're missing out on a ton of passive buffs to improved guardian phase/improved rift guard by not going 51pt riftstalker.

But But... I cant live without sidesteps... Its my favorite ability in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Neonaraj View Post
    But But... I cant live without sidesteps... Its my favorite ability in the game.
    Side Steps is great on any fight where you don't need the endurance from Bard.

Unfortunately, such fights are uncommon when you get into T3 content, and on the ones where you don't need that extra health, you probably don't need Side Steps either because nothing is hitting hard enough to kill you.

Telaran

Using bladedancer as a subspec was godmode on Ituziel. 15 seconds of dodge made you almost untouchable for a full tanking rotation on that fight. It's useful on drak too (if anyone ever had problems on Drak) for the add tanking.

Personally, I've always preferred the bd variant over bard because of the increased avoidance. It lightens the load on the healers by virtue of just being hit less times. Only on Maelforge and Garau have I bothered to use the bard variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Luscarino View Post
    Using bladedancer as a subspec was godmode on Ituziel. 15 seconds of dodge made you almost untouchable for a full tanking rotation on that fight. It's useful on drak too (if anyone ever had problems on Drak) for the add tanking.

Personally, I've always preferred the bd variant over bard because of the increased avoidance. It lightens the load on the healers by virtue of just being hit less times. Only on Maelforge and Garau have I bothered to use the bard variant.
    You were "forced" to use the bard variant on a lot of fights in ID. HM Mak, Laethys, Maelforge, Ituziel, Ereetu, to name a few. The rest aren't as bad, tbh.

While Side Steps is useful for critical times, you can and will possibly go streaks of non-deflected hits that could result in your deaths on Ituziel (pre-nerf). The EH severely outweight your increased avoidance on that one fight and, most likely, several others, as well.
    Last edited by Khuj; 09-13-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Part of Trinity. "Come for Trunks, stay for Trunks."

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Side Steps is great on any fight where you don't need the endurance from Bard.

Unfortunately, such fights are uncommon when you get into T3 content, and on the ones where you don't need that extra health, you probably don't need Side Steps either because nothing is hitting hard enough to kill you.
    So... that's everything in the game, even before the most recent ID nerfs.

with a splash of resist and proper timing on the 3 (4 if you count sidesteps) defensive CDs at our disposal, you can survive just about everything without touching bard for a subspec.

I'm sitting at a smidge over 25k fully raid buffed, using BD as a subspec. Swapping in bard just seems like useless fluff HP, which is all bard is good for.

... though I may just swap to a max hp setup to take a shot of a 30k hp tank... not that it'd really be useful with everything being declawed left and right.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast