+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear + Raiding

Soulwalker

Default Gear + Raiding

Hey! So I just got 200Hit on my rouge and I've been running experts and normals for plaques of achievement and other cool items. My question is ... what gear should I be even trying to get? You get different currencies in game that you can use for obtaining different items, that I realized a while ago, but where is the amazing gear suppose to come from?

I'm currently wearing my complete Ravanger's set that you purchase with the Plaque of Achievements, and I'm going for the next set that you get with Mark of Ascension. Should I go for that set? Is there something else I should be doing?

Should I try for the Planarite gears? I'm at a complete loss as to where I should focus my energy as far as gear itself is concerned. What about weapons? I'm content in how I'm going to obtain accessory type gear, but not the awesome important stuff.

Thanks for the help guys . It would be awesome if you would tell me exactly how to obtain the gear if you mention something. I'm probably not familiar with it.

Raiding -

Most of the raiding is done with your guilds, but what exactly is the point? I'm not use to raiding AT ALL , this would be the first MMO that I've actually had to do any in. I'm really excited about it, but I don't want to go in ignorant, like a fish out of water for the first time. What do you expect out of a good ranger dps?

*sorry if these questions are in the wrong section or if there is a thread about all of this, I just didn't see any.

You can craft your way into hammerknell

Wannabe Mage Guide Writer
    6/6 Dragons
    A website for all your Rift needs
    www.riftscene.com

Telaran

My guild has just recently gotten a group together to begin doing T2 raids. Much like yourself, raiding in RIFT was my first experience with raids. As such, I can only give you advice in regards to getting set up for T2.

When I first started doing Drowned Halls and Gilded Prophesies, I was in fact, playing a ranger, and wasn't seeing numbers I was happy with. I was wearing 4 pieces of PoA gear (Dungeon conqueror), 2 pieces of the Deathbringer crafted gear (Chest & Shoulder pieces), and expert dungeon rewards otherwise. So really, for just getting started, it wasn't my gear that was causing the issue.

Thankfully my guild was supportive and someone suggested I try out a Marksman build. I cruised the forums and ZAM and eventually settled on the 51Marksman/14Ranger/1Riftstalker build from Zyzyx's Rogue Bible. My DPS was much improved by the changeover. I don't even bother to summon the pet anymore, even for solo play.

DPS expectations (based on gear):
    4pc PoA gear/2pc Deathbringer : 1000~1100 DPS
    4pc PoA gear/4pc Deathbringer : 1300 DPS
    4pc Deathbringer/ 2pc Blighted : 1400 DPS
    4pc Deathbringer/ 4pc Blighted : 1600 DPS

As to weapons, a Deathbringer dagger or two (only replace one of them if a high Dex blade drops or you have two Deathbringer Band rings.) and a bow with nearly the same dps as the dagger are decent places to start off at.
    There are two really nice bows that drop from T1 raids to my knowlege, one from Isskal and one from Guurloth. Both of these bows are downright sick until replaced by T2 weapons. However, until you can get to one of those, the crafted "Enchanted Shadethorn Bow" will do very very nicely. Especially if the person making it tosses on a Flawless Thiefstone... ^.^

Also, do the Story quest chain on Ember Isle... one of the last rewards is a T2 Planar Conq. Leg piece. Very, very sweet piece.

Using the build I mentioned above with the following gear is giving me consistent Single Target 1700 dps.
    4/4 Deathbringer: Chest, Shoulders, Dagger, and Ring
    4/4 Blighted set: Durnes (Mark of Ascension) Helmet, Gloves, and Boots. +Planar Conqueror Leg piece
    Gilded Greatbow of the Mountain (Guurloth drop)
    +30 Dex seal (can't wait to get that last one.)

Other gear is assorted Raid drops except the belt piece. I haven't seen a decent rogue belt drop in T1 yet.
    (Actually I've started saving up Greater MoA's now, my first piece of that stuff is going to be the Belt! lol)

Shadowlander

Default Deathbringer Bands are...

... unique equip unless that's changed.

Ohay!
    As a long term raider and stuff, I maybe can be of a little help.

In a nutshell, raiding is a large, complicated and super fun dungeon.
    It can be done without a guild (the so-called pugging) but belive me, a good guild (and by good I mean friendly and helpful) will really make your gaming experience to another level.

This said.
    The first step for raiding is getting the hit requirement for being able to do a decent job:
    T1 200
    T2 300
    T3 400 (420 preferred)

Having 200 hit alredy qualifies you for a T1 raid: Greenscale's Blight (GSB) River of Soul (RoS) Gilded Prophecy (GP) and Drowned Halls (DH).

Next step is mainly learning up the tactic and having a proper selection of specs. The class forums helps alot with this and they have also complete guides with rotations and macros.
    as a exemple I play (you can have 6 saved specs at 50 if you don't know)
    Marksman (51mm/14rng/1rs)
    Ranger (51rng/15mm/0Sin)
    Saboteur (51sab/10mm/5rs)
    Bard (51bard/7rs/8Nb)
    Bloodstalker (32sin/20rs/14mm)
    Weird PvP spec...some sin stealth shizz.

Having alot of different specs will give you versatility. Versatility will make sure that you have always a place and a role in any raid.

So my advice is: Get a guild, a nice one running t1 raids and which is full of good people. The start worriyng about specs and stuff. You'll find that just preparing for raid is half the fun.

About gear:
    You may either go for Infernal Marks of Ascension (for Expert dungeons rewards) or for Greater marks fo ascension (from the same source)
    Infernals (IMOA) will give you T3 raid quality gear, Greaters (GMOA) will give you T2 raid gear.
    Difference is, you will get 1 IMOA for every expert and 2 GMOA for every expert.
    Combine this with the fact that T3 raid stuff is expensive in terms of marks (80-120 for a piece) and you'll find that probably, getting the lower quality gear will just be a good way to go in the short term.

ah!
    GMOA stuff is sold at the hut behind Sanctum's main building if your a gaurdian
    IMOA stuff is sold near the central porticulum at Ember Island.

If you have any question feel free to send me a PM.

Enjoy!

Soulwalker

Just to ensure you are not being provided with incorrect information, you are provided with 2 IMOA per daily random expert and not 1. This places T2 and T3 gear progression on the same playing field unless your currently raiding HK for GMOA or ID for IMOA.

Ascending is correct, my bad.
    Still IMOA items requre more makrs that GMOA ones. The difference is not that big as you get 2 marks however!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by thikk View Post
    ... unique equip unless that's changed.
    I thought so too, but several of my guildies have two equipped, or did at some point recently (within the past month and a half.)

+ Reply to Thread