+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ranger pets P1 Maelforge

Default Ranger pets P1 Maelforge

I've seen a couple of threads that talk about pets not doing dps in P1, but I havent seen any posts that say what causes it, or how to avoid it.

Last night in P1 there were several attempts where my pet did 0 damage, no attacks at all, & yes before anyone asks I did have the pet up, & I have petattack in my macro's & it was set to defensive.

So anyone figured out a way to stop this happening please?.

Send pet the same millisecond the tank "jumps" towards the boss., works 9.5 times out of 10.
    AFK.

Putting the petattack commands helps as well, though I've only played ranger once on Maelforge, I prefer sab.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

I actually believe it is a range thing.

I use a range-to-target addon and I noticed my absolute distance from Maelforge was just over 57m (not the distance from the edge of hitbox bit from his location). During the circles movement i moved slightly further out to over 58m. At this point it seemed my pet was no longer in melee range and thus not doing damage.

I adjusted and kept my range at 55-56m on the range finder and this problem went away.

Edit: What I do find annoying is that (pre-pull) when moving close to Maelforge using mouse movement, due to the large hitbox of Maelforge when I released my right mouse button it interpreted this as autoattack and thus fired at Maelforge. I now use my keyboard to move to the stacking position so that I don't piss off our raid leader.
    Last edited by Zazen; 08-28-2012 at 11:10 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Putting the petattack commands helps as well, though I've only played ranger once on Maelforge, I prefer sab.
    Have you ever made a post without referring to saboteur?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    At least it's not sab with heals. ;)
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    I thought it was Zyzyx that was the crazy Sab fanatic :P

Hey, topic is Maelforge! You're crazy to play ranger instead of sab unless you have to for the armor debuff so of course I'm going to bring up sab. Sab and Maelforge go together like bread and butter. In P1 because of pet issues ranger only does ~3600, sab does ~3500 single target. In later phases sab will double ranger.

Maelforge is one of two fights a rogue can actually top dps.
    Last edited by Mayi; 08-29-2012 at 02:11 PM.

its a combo of range and feral aggression going before the pet can attack, I don't know why that bugs them but it does. I stand @ the front of the stack along with the rest of the rangers and make sure to wait until my pet gets his 1st attack off before I will use feral. He still runs up there and goes in and out of range to attack a few times but since ive started that he has all but once attacked and not been a newb. Thanks guildies that helped me figure that crap out, p1 dps in ranger is always 3700-4k, normal is 3850ish

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Hey, topic is Maelforge! You're crazy to play ranger instead of sab unless you have to for the armor debuff so of course I'm going to bring up sab. Sab and Maelforge go together like bread and butter. In P1 because of pet issues ranger only does ~3600, sab does ~3500 single target. In later phases sab will double ranger.

Maelforge is one of two fights a rogue can actually top dps.
    Are you using the aoe rotation or the single target one when you just have maelforge & the big add in p2/3? ( I know gone OT here, but not worth starting a new thread for this :P )

Quote Originally Posted by Karnes View Post
    Are you using the aoe rotation or the single target one when you just have maelforge & the big add in p2/3? ( I know gone OT here, but not worth starting a new thread for this :P )
    In P2-3 I use mostly aoe, 5x caltrop with a time bomb on both mobs. Then spike on Maelforge when a mob isn't there to be aoed.
    Last edited by Mayi; 09-02-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnes View Post
    I've seen a couple of threads that talk about pets not doing dps in P1, but I havent seen any posts that say what causes it, or how to avoid it.

Last night in P1 there were several attempts where my pet did 0 damage, no attacks at all, & yes before anyone asks I did have the pet up, & I have petattack in my macro's & it was set to defensive.

So anyone figured out a way to stop this happening please?.
    I believe itis a combination of range+pathing problems.
    Best thing you can do is send in the pet to attack right as the tank jumps forward to start the fight.
    That way you don't have to maneuver about just to get the pet to attack.
    Last edited by Aguni; 09-02-2012 at 08:21 AM.

is sab still the best spec for maelforge ?
    Gart - DPS Rogue <Veritas Et Aequitas>
    Brutwacht, Germany
    ID 7/8

I used it, and it is indeed a very good spec to use on maelforge. ST in P1 im right up there with the rangers and later phases it's higher.
    Last edited by ulTimaS89; 09-02-2012 at 12:06 PM.

R60 Rogue | Icewatch EU | FT 4/4 | EE 5/5 | HM 4/4 | GA 3/4 |YouTube | Twitch.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Gartey View Post
    is sab still the best spec for maelforge ?
    I believe so yea. There are some guildies who've never played sab who picked it up after doing Maelforge. I usually come out around 4k through the encounter and rangers are at about 3k (lots of downtime in that fight so the numbers always come out low). Top dps will be either a rogue or warrior on Maelforge, which is hilarious considering warriors were QQing they were useless on that fight so they added a damage buff specifically for them. I guess their raid leaders never considering trying a melee friendly strat and the players blamed the encounter.

Anyways, Maelforge is one of maybe two fights a rogue can actually be top dps, Maelforge and Drak being the two (excluding playing sab on Conclave where bombs hit adds that don't need to be killed). Sab is great on eggs too.
    Last edited by Mayi; 09-02-2012 at 02:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast