+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird Bug/Feature on SAB

Default Weird Bug/Feature on SAB

Hey guys,

I have just noticed something today while playing my SAB. I did a t2 dd and got the gedio bow which made me think it would be nice if it proced of sab. So for fun i put it on and well it worked. The proc is horrible but here is the weird part:

Im runnin 51 sab 10 marks 5 rs and that means my bobm dmg should scale with range weapon dps. But it does not. The following thing happened my clatrop, and spike charge showed no difference in dmg while i had the gedio bow on, or the r50 rifle. Im fully pa speced in both bows and riffles so i found that weird.

Anyways my question is : IS it possible it works because a friend of mine tried the proc with aky weapon and he found a difference in charges on bombs. Is the gedio bow an exception? Did i fk smthing up while testing this? My friend also mention it might have been me unintentualy applying charges with the rifle and detonating with the bow.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated as it would mean that rogues finally get a t2 bis dps weapon for 1 role :P (not just mages and clerics with the bloody wand)

The way i tested it was with the pvp trinket no procs and selbuffed without wheatsones or vials.

Ty for answers and sorry for grammar.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Were you standing at range or melee?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    Were you standing at range or melee?
    As weird as it sounds: Range

Quote Originally Posted by Igneel View Post
    As weird as it sounds: Range
    Are you sure? Because that matters a lot. I suggest you try it again.

If you have MM or Rang in your spec, then your charges scale off your ranged weapon as long as you're at range.

Are you sure? Because that matters a lot. I suggest you try it again.

If you have MM or Rang in your spec, then your charges scale off your ranged weapon as long as you're at range.
    was hitting the dummy from where the tree is, so id say i was prety far in range. I did notice a decline in dmg for blast charge but not caltrop or spike, havent tested others

You might try adding startrangedattack at the end of a macro for your builder (and finishers), just be sure not to try and pre-load charges with it. Not 100% sure but this seemed to force it to use your ranged weapon as the base for damage more consistently. I at least noticed I was using ranged autoattacks when in the melee group on Laethys at least.
    Dummy Foundry rocks. CQ blows. Energy is meh. MORE ROLE SLOTS! Burma shave.

It could just be that the ap difference between the two items is the same dps as the difference in weapon dps.

Sab hardly scales off weapon dps at all, it's 50% weapon damage + X on the majority of it's abilities.

My friend also mention it might have been me unintentualy applying charges with the rifle and detonating with the bow.
    The weapon you use when you apply charges doesn't matter too, it's just which weapon is equipped when you detonate. I remember back in sabdancer days some people macroed detonate:

startrangedattack
    cast detonate

And swore it gave a dps increase. Using startranged attack before casts means you can't use abilities while jumping and has other weird effects so I never did it.
    Last edited by Mayi; 08-28-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

The bug's as old as sab.

One of the charges, i forget which, counts as a melee attack and procs everything melee attacks procs. The bow proc could've just gone off autoattacks. Couldn't really even venture a guess without knowing what your spec is.

Its the same deal as the double-shot proc via the ranger talents in ranger specs. That double shot proc can and does proc everything that only melee attacks are supposed to proc (melee-only weapon/trinket procs, etc)

Been around for ages, generally not noticable... and certainly not reliable enough to use regularly anyway... so its been largely ignored.

Having Anger and a PF-drop weapon with a proc on ranger, for example, does indeed proc both with doubleshot. But the damage contribution over any significant parse doesn't even add up to 1%.

Edit: as for the gear swapping part, that's something that should've been fixed ages ago =P Twice, actually. But apparently its still there.
    Last edited by MoonfireSpam; 08-29-2012 at 12:42 AM.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Weapon dps is so iffy, I wish they just converted it all to AP and be done with it.

Sry for the late response. That is good to hear, cause it means i can use crap bow that has a potential 90 ap proc for when im using sab it will be a dps increase... However havent tested bombs yet if they scaled of rage Derp.

Im runnin 51 sab 10 marks 5 rs
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    Couldn't really even venture a guess without knowing what your spec is.

Sry for the late response. That is good to hear, cause it means i can use crap bow that has a potential 90 ap proc for when im using sab it will be a dps increase... However havent tested bombs yet if they scaled of rage Derp.
    This is incorrect. Sab scales off your ranged weapon damage because you have MM in your spec.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 08-29-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Rift Disciple

This is incorrect. Sab scales off your ranged weapon damage because you have MM in your spec.
    Funny I said the same thing once. I got like 10 responses saying SAB scales off where you stand regardless of whats in your spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Neonaraj View Post
    Funny I said the same thing once. I got like 10 responses saying SAB scales off where you stand regardless of whats in your spec.
    That's half correct. It will scale off ranged attacks if you have Ranger or MM in the spec, but you still have to be standing at range. He said thats what he was doing. If you don't have Ranger or MM in the spec, it will scale off melee weapons, regardless of where you stand.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 08-29-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Rift Disciple

That's half correct. It will scale off ranged attacks if you have Ranger or MM in the spec, but you still have to be standing at range. He said thats what he was doing. If you don't have Ranger or MM in the spec, it will scale off melee weapons, regardless of where you stand.
    Never knew the second part. Thanks Come to think of it I think you were the one that corrected me the first time /shocked ;)

That's sort of true...

What ranger and MM gives you is the 'Ranged Weapon Mastery' ability. It shows up as a passive if you have either of those trees.

What is does is it makes you switch to the appropriate weapon given your situation. If you have ranged weapon mastery and are in melee it will calculate it off your melee weapons, if you're at ranged it will calculate it off your ranged weapon. This is of course if you don't use abilities, some abilities are inherently melee or range and put you in that mode.

The intention of ranged weapon mastery (I believe) is to enable autoattacks given your situation, otherwise think about what would happen if you had MM in a melee build, you'd never autoattack if you automatically put you into ranged mode. You can test this by taking MM or Ranger and without MM or Ranger, and then going into melee or ranged on the dummy to see the difference. With sab it gets wonky because detonate is neither melee nor ranged so the damage of detonate (and all your charges) depends on which mode you're currently in, ranged weapon if you're at range or melee weapon if you're in melee. That's why some people put the startrangedattack before detonate in sabdancer.
    Last edited by Mayi; 08-29-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

+ Reply to Thread