+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: There's got to be something besides ranger

Soulwalker

Default There's got to be something besides ranger

I don't like pets. I don't like having to upkeep them and repeatedly revive them. Is there anything that can push the same numbers out there?

Ascendant

The same, and at ranged? No.

Good Enough for most cases? Yes.

Try 51MM/14RG/1RS, 51MM/15RG/0Whatever (you can change based on need), or even 51MM/13NB/2RS. I think I ordered those from best to worst DPS . . . but if you are pretty good with them and have good gear it won't really matter so much.

I also refuse to make a ranger because of the pet, no one complains about my performance cause we're just at the end of HK and did a few pulls on Warboss, and are 1/4 PF. I have the R50 PVP bow so it's better than any other bow we can get at this point. Then again, people with the DBPS and Ranger usually parse higher, but it's generally a toss up either way . . . and I don't have to deal with pet so I call it a win anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    The same, and at ranged? No.

Good Enough for most cases? Yes.

Try 51MM/14RG/1RS, 51MM/15RG/0Whatever (you can change based on need), or even 51MM/13NB/2RS. I think I ordered those from best to worst DPS . . . but if you are pretty good with them and have good gear it won't really matter so much.

I also refuse to make a ranger because of the pet, no one complains about my performance cause we're just at the end of HK and did a few pulls on Warboss, and are 1/4 PF. I have the R50 PVP bow so it's better than any other bow we can get at this point. Then again, people with the DBPS and Ranger usually parse higher, but it's generally a toss up either way . . . and I don't have to deal with pet so I call it a win anyway.
    Marksman is significantly behind Ranger. Hell, it even loses out to Saboteur on single target.

If you're beating rangers as marksman, it means those other rangers are bad at their rotations, not that Marksman is competitive.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Marksman is significantly behind Ranger. Hell, it even loses out to Saboteur on single target.

If you're beating rangers as marksman, it means those other rangers are bad at their rotations, not that Marksman is competitive.
    Or you out gear them, and will beat any DPS check in any instance ever anyway . . . so at some point you just have to play what you enjoy and not what someone tells you to play.

Champion

51sab, 51 bladedancer, 49nightblade, and bloodstalker will all be in the same ballpark as ranger.
    Shieldy 60 Warrior
    Gloredhel 60 Mage

I keep to 51 MM in raids because:

1)I'm used to it, but I perform at it better (at least for now. I intend on getting into barding and maybe Sab...maybe - but not tanking!)

2)The interrupt and purging almost always has some sort of use that I would hate not having by now.

So yeah, my DPS is clearly lower. I make up for it by usually not dying.

Ascendant

When Puandro did the 1.8 testing some specs came out like this (http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...#post3735394):

Quote Originally Posted by Puandro

BS (34/20/12) - 3,530
    BD (10 Sin) - 3,425
    51 Ranger - 3,275 (933 Pet)
    51 Sab - 3,272
    49 NB (2 Buttons) - 3,122
    BD (10 MM) - 3,099
    51 MM (14 RG, MM Crystal) - 2,930
    51 MM (14 RG, RG Crystal) - 2,908
    51 MM (13 NB) - 2,807
    51 NB (12 BD) - 2,761
    So it looks like about a a 125DPS increase (4.4%) going from what I call "The lazy Marksman" (MM/NB) to the Marskman Ranger . . . and about 470 (16.7%) going to ranger with a pet. However, in any fight where your pet disconnects or is likely to die the full on ranger will not do anywhere near as well . . . and arguably has less utility.

You have 6 specs . . . 4 DPS ones if you have a tank and a bard . . . take both. Plus a Sab and a leave 1 spot for a PVP spec.

This testing was also in "ID Gear with BiS Runes . . . Every single T1 and T2 Hex was picked up, nothing in T3 was touched for PA." . . . So certain things may scale differently depending on gear.

If you or your pet die one of following things happened:
    • You died because you failed
    • You died because your healer failed
    • You died because your tank failed
    • You died because your hardware failed
    Nothing of these points is inherent to ranger, nor is it any less deadly in any other spec.
    A witty saying proves nothing
    - Voltaire
    One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork.
    - Edward Abbey

RIFT Guide Writer

Just about every rogue hates playing ranger. I can't wait for storm legion, going almost exclusively melee and hopefully ditching ranger completely.

How can you be bad at ranger
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    *shrug* Maybe they're not using every GCD? I see way too many people who do that.

*shrug* Maybe they're not using every GCD? I see way too many people who do that.
    ... ಠ_ಠ
    ~Quiescent

... ಠ_ಠ
    Any time you see people doing absolutely terrible DPS in a dungeon, odds are that's at least part of the problem.

Alternately, set up a metronome during Conquest, and try to measure how much lag the other rogues have based on the frequency of their fanout spam.

Ttry out Sab. Competitive ST DPS, blows away other any AOE spec out of the water.

Its possible. Im god awful at ranger for whatever reason. I only use my rogue for pvp and can i recently started doing pve with him. My dps as sab is nearly double that of ranger. 1100ranger/1900sab. Im just awful at rogue tho. If you ever see synergis in your raid, u better not ask me to do anything other than sab or bard or your going to have a bad day.

GSB Conq/ROS Conq/HK Conq/ID Conq
    4/4 TotDQ
    4/4 FT
    2/5 EE
    <The Chosen>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast