+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Absintheminded
  • 1 Post By Muspel
  • 1 Post By Sinhuit

Thread: Overwhelmed with Tanking

Telaran

Default Overwhelmed with Tanking

A bit about myself: I've played a healer (or as close as I could get to it) on every game I've ever played. If it was unavailable, I would head on over to a caster class such as a Mage. My main is a level 50 Chloromancer, but I think it's time to try something different.

I hopped on my level 30 Rogue in hopes of trying to tank. After running through a spec of Riftstalker/Ranger/Bard, I noticed I have like 5 different jumps, and I don't understand when is the proper time to use them/not use them. I've also never been up close and personal with the fights, so I'm afraid if I lose aggro, then I will not catch it in time and cause many wipes.

I guess what I'm asking here is this: When should I use my jumps? Is there a set ST/AoE rotation? How should I go about keeping aggro? If I remember correctly , I'm sitting at 3.2k health self-buffed.

Rift Disciple

I don't have experience tanking with Riftstalker, but I do have a lot of experience tanking in games. From looking at the soul you shouldn't have a lot of trouble with AoE with Rift Barrier, Planar Vortex, and Rift Disturbance. For survivability you just need to keep an idea on your buffs and make sure you refresh them before they wear off.

If you wanna try tanking in a less stressful environment, queue IA and work on AoE and boss tanking keeping in mind you have the buffs to maintain. Aggro, you will find, is mostly automatic if you go through your rotations and don't leave dead space.

Look at the rogue tank guide in my signature for the ST/AoE rotations. Shadow Assault, Shadow Blitz, and Shadow Stalk are all used rotatinally. Shadow Step, Shadow Warp, and Flashback are purely for extra mobility-- while it's true that they proc Planar Vortex and Rift Guard, it's rare that you'll use them for that purpose.

Also, like Absinthe said, holding threat is fairly easy. As long as you keep Planar Vortex going and use Rift Disturbance, it's incredibly rare to lose aggro on anything. I can't even remember the last time someone pulled threat off of a mob I was hitting.
    Last edited by Muspel; 08-16-2012 at 09:53 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Look at the rogue tank guide in my signature for the ST/AoE rotations. Shadow Assault, Shadow Blitz, and Shadow Stalk are all used rotatinally. Shadow Step, Shadow Warp, and Flashback are purely for extra mobility-- while it's true that they proc Planar Vortex and Rift Guard, it's rare that you'll use them for that purpose.

Also, like Absinthe said, holding threat is fairly easy. As long as you keep Planar Vortex going and use Rift Disturbance, it's incredibly rare to lose aggro on anything. I can't even remember the last time someone pulled threat off of a mob I was hitting.
    What the hell is Shadow Step?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    What the hell is Shadow Step?
    I think it's kind of like dub step, but blocks more light.

Shadow Shift. Whatever. Too many abilities with similar names.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post

Your guide was very informative; thank you! I successfully tanked a Foul Cascade (I believe is it's name) dungeon, even with the Marksman constantly pulling before me.

dbe
    General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Denerka View Post
    Your guide was very informative; thank you! I successfully tanked a Foul Cascade (I believe is it's name) dungeon, even with the Marksman constantly pulling before me.
    It's usually bad etiquette for dps to pull, just ask them politely to stop and they probably will. At low levels people sometimes don't understand group dynamics yet.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Denerka View Post
    even with the Marksman constantly pulling before me.
    Easy solution let him tank what he pulls. Maybe he will learn not to pull after 3 deaths if not vote kick dps is easy to replace.

+ Reply to Thread