+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Low level rogue tanking?

Default Low level rogue tanking?

Ok, so I play main spec mage, and I'm trying to branch out.

so I'm leveling a rogue now, and want to tank some dungeons. Its level 28 atm and trying to get a good grip on rogue tanking early. I browsed the rogue tanking guides and didn't see anything on low level.

So is there a guide out there? Maybe that shows good point placement and some macros? Or maybe some "key" abilities I should always use?

Any info would be great.
    Formerly Manwitch.... 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 3/4 GA

By level 28, you have every key ability other than Scatter the Shadows and Defer Death. Just check my guide for the relevant rotations and macros.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sculduggery View Post
    the idea is to stack health for rift guard, which reduces the damage you take based on a percentage of your total health.
    This is completely wrong, and the spec that you're recommending for low levels is far from optimal.

Rift Disciple

I'm glad that you were nice enough to point out the problems with my spec and suggest alternatives.

I'm also happy to see that you were constructive with your feed back instead of just plain ol' rude and insulting.

Thank you.

Rift Disciple

I'm glad that you were nice enough to point out the problems with my spec and suggest alternatives.

I'm also happy to see that you were constructive with your feed back instead of just plain ol' rude and insulting.

Thank you.
    His disagreeing with your criticism as well as him being a guide writer to me meant that maybe he was suggesting his guide is better. Also in his signature are links to his guides. I don't wanna get snarky, just saying. It's pretty obvious.

Rift Disciple

the alleged "guide" appears to be specifically for level 50 and specifically for raid tanking. i fail to see how it's applicable or pertinent in either thread.

Rift Disciple

the alleged "guide" appears to be specifically for level 50 and specifically for raid tanking. i fail to see how it's applicable or pertinent in either thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    By level 28, you have every key ability other than Scatter the Shadows and Defer Death. Just check my guide for the relevant rotations and macros.
    He's given macros, key abilities, rotations, stat priorities, descriptions, different specs, several optional abilities, etc. etc.

The only thing he didn't say was what point to put in at 28. Or what point to put in at 29. Or 30.

People don't need that.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    He's given macros, key abilities, rotations, stat priorities, descriptions, different specs, several optional abilities, etc. etc.
    For level 50 raiding. Nothing about level 22 5-mans.

Rift Disciple

Where are you getting this level 22 from? And did you even re-read the quote that I posted? Are you just here to argue?

Rift Disciple

Where are you getting this level 22 from?
    Excuse me, 28.

And did you even re-read the quote that I posted? Are you just here to argue?
    Is this serious? Every single post you have in this thread has been confrontational, argumentum ad hominem, or worse.

And just because he has "guide writer" next to his name doesn't automatically make his posts any better than yours or mine.

Did you read my first post in this thread?

The only abilities he doesn't have at level 28 are a few defensive cooldowns and Flashback. Every other part of the guide is fully applicable, like I said.

At low levels, you'll want to put as many points in Riftstalker as possible, and put the leftovers into either Ranger (for Bolster) or Bladedancer (for Twin Strike). Personally, I prefer RS/BD at low levels, leaving 0 points in Ranger until you get 7 points in BD, at which point you can work towards Bolster in Ranger.

This gives you Side Steps for dangerous pulls, Quick Shot for ranged aggro, a bit of extra AoE damage, and some extra avoidance. Once you hit level 50 and begin to transition into raiding, RS/Bard/Ranger may become a better option, depending on whether you're having issues with burst damage.

Side note: Rift Guard absorbs a flat% of incoming damage, depending on how many points you've put into Riftstalker. The only thing that your HP affects is the damage cap, but that cap is so absurdly high that it's a complete nonissue. At level 28, the only way it'll break is if you're taking more than 400% of your max health in an eight-second interval, and that threshold will increase even further as he levels up more. There's nothing in the game that hits anywhere near hard enough to break the shield.

I would appreciate it if you took the time to research a soul before trying to provide specific advice to newcomers-- misleading information is worse than no information at all.

And just because he has "guide writer" next to his name doesn't automatically make his posts any better than yours or mine.
    No, but the fact that I've taken the time to research rogue abilities and provided theorycraft means that my posts have evidence behind them, while yours do not. You fundamentally misinterpreted a tooltip, offered a bad spec, and then became offended when you were called on it.

Rift Disciple

you haven't posted a shred of evidence or valid refute to what i posted in this entire thread.

[edit]

now, back on topic, 5 man tanking is about being able to take damage from multiple sources. sometimes more than one pull at once. ranger talents just aren't going to cut it at this level. the build is going to have to be rs/brd/bd. also, you're not in a perfect situation raid (like your guide assumes), so you'll probably have to rely on yourself for more buffs - ultimately making my information much more applicable than all of your posts saying "read my guide!"

furthermore, since it's level 28, assuming perfect play is kind of harsh on the person receiving the advice. you have to know your audience. i'm not going to pretend he's going to refresh his bubble perfectly ever 8 seconds. i'm going to guess that the bubble will be popped more often than not, and that more health to ensure longer bubbles is actually valid advice for a level 28. also, since he is only level 28, he's not going to have purple level 50 raiding gear, so the bubble will last considerably shorter for him if he does not refresh it perfectly every cycle.
    Last edited by Augureze; 08-16-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: removed rude comments

you haven't posted a shred of evidence or valid refute to what i posted in this entire thread.
    I'm sorry, what?

You said that Rift Guard would mitigate a larger percentage of incoming damage if he stacked endurance. This is untrue, as proven by the tooltip that you linked IN YOUR OWN POST.

You said that a Riftstalker/Bard spec would be optimal at low levels. This is untrue for the reasons I just outlined above.
    Last edited by Muspel; 08-16-2012 at 01:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast