+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking 101

Soulwalker

Default Tanking 101

So. I'm in love with the Rift Stalker's game play..welll since I purchased my new role slot, I'm currently only level 22, and my gear is stated for dex and dps as of now ( I've been playing my bard soul for 21 levels). I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing wrong, but I've been tanking decently in instances, I only wiped once and that was when I seperated from our healers.

I have a few reserves about the class though because a gigantic fraction of our defensive buffs come from skills and are on timers, and it is pretty intense when soloing. You'd think I'd be use to it by now as a bard, but I'm not...

When I'm soloing I can occasionally take 2 mobs and a random aggro, but it is extremely difficult... harder than it should be. I think it was easier to take them on when I use my bard soul actually. I normally wipe if I'm soloing and there are more than three mobs on me, and as a tank it sort of kills my confidence.

What skill bonuses should I keep up at all times? I've been trying to be precise with cooldowns and ration my teleport usage. How do I tank efficiantlly as a rough? Currently I'm experimenting with a max hp build so I have Rs/Bard/Hunter. Please give me some advise and logical explainations. Should I play a rouge to tank? Should I get Endur stated gear instead?

Sorry about the typos, I'm typing this up on my cell phone XD

Tank specs aren't for soloing generally, they're designed to not get oneshot and get healed back up. Riftstalker hybrids are commonly used for this due to the ability to heal when a mob is killed but this isn't really an effective dungeon tank until you're really overgeared at level 50. Don't really know how rogues scale while leveling but I suggest keeping a separate tank and solo spec if you can. Ranger with the pet is a common solo spec while leveling, others can probably give you a better idea.

As for gear you really don't need to worry about that until level 50, at that point there is specific "tank" and "dps" gear, with the tank gear having much more endurance, possibly parry/dodge/deflect, and much less attack power/crit. There isn't really much to that effect while leveling but if you want to keep some gear with more endurance around it couldn't hurt.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-09-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Rift Disciple

At that level I personally would go something else and not worry. As a rogue tank let me tell you its a lot of fun. I would go something ranged like Ranger with a bit of bard in it or something as you get higher. Something where you have a pet tanking the mobs. Just hit 50 then start to worry about all that imo. Do it by questing.

Rift Disciple

a lot in the riftstalker tree has changed since i was levelling, and back then i thought rogue tanking was difficult. we just didn't have the aoe threat necessary to breeze through dungeons like warrior and cleric tanks did.

at level 21 now, though, you can get Planar Vortex which is going to cause mobs to stick on you hard. engage with shadow blitz, and mash rift disturbance on cooldown and you should keep aggro fine in any single target or close aoe combat situation.

it gets harder when mobs are spread further out, but you get planar disruption (interrupt) at 22 and planar attraction at 44 to help corral them all together.

if you have a lot of endurance on your gear, i would recommend a build something like this at level 21. the idea is to stack health for rift guard, which reduces the damage you take based on a percentage of your total health. this would strictly be used for dungeon tanking and not soloing or farming. the pressence of bladedancer in the soul is strictly there for the extra OH SNAP cooldown you get from side steps, which is great for dungeon tanking. further down the line you can throw more points into blade dancer to specialize it further into dungeon tanking or switch it to ranger which is better for end-game mitigation.
    Last edited by Sculduggery; 08-09-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Soulwalker

Isn't level 50 the cap? O_o? What's the point of even tanking at that level, if you donlt mind me asking.

Rift Disciple

the game doesn't end at 50. you continue to acquire gear through dungeons that get progressively harder and raiding.

you continue to gain experience that contributes to what's called planar attunement (press U at level 50).

there's an expansion coming up that's expected to raise the level cap as well.

I have 2 tank specs one for all around use and one for big mean raid bosses. the one i use most is 51rs/8ranger/7bladedancer and the other i use for raid bosses is the 51rs/8ranger/7bard. the difference with the same gear is about 2k hp (18243 to 20301). i run the the first because it seem easier to hold threat with. i do use a macro so i can focus on the fight and not on cd's

#show Twin Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Phantom Blow
    cast Rift Disturbance
    cast Twin Strike
    cast Quick Shot

the stats you want to focus on are endurance and dexterity, since 1 dex give you 0.5attack power, 1physical crit, 1 dodge, and 1 deflect (when in guardian phase). second most important stats are deflect, dodge, strength, and parry.

as others have said planar vortex is your biggest source of threat, so make sure you use a teleport once every 8-12 seconds. second make sure you keep guarded steel up since it increases threat by 40% and deflect by 20% while active (if you have the talent spec'd into).

Quote Originally Posted by Twervy View Post
    Isn't level 50 the cap? O_o? What's the point of even tanking at that level, if you donlt mind me asking.
    The game BEGINS at level 50. That's where you can begin raiding- facing bosses that are so difficult that you need a team of twenty people working together to bring them down. Bosses that use abilities that require precise teamwork to counter and survive. There are dozens of raid bosses throughout the game, and each one has a different strategy and tactic needed to kill them. Like many MMOs, Rift is heavily focused on the endgame, so reaching level 50 is really just the beginning.

Here's a good example of a raid boss. That specific fight has been made a lot easier since it was first introduced, but if you do it as intended, it's still a great learning experience to get you ready for later, harder bosses like Akylios or Rusila Dreadblade. These raid bosses will drop the strongest items in the game, and periodically, Trion releases new tiers of raids with new bosses that are harder still-- but drop even better loot.

Like other people have said, Riftstalker is a pretty bad spec for soloing. Ideally, what you want is self-healing and strong AoE, and RS doesn't have much of either. A bladedancer/assassin/riftstalker hybrid is the general choice. Bladedancer gives you Twin Strike, Compound Strike, and Deadly Dance. Riftstalker gives you Rift Scavenger. Assassin gives you leeching poison. With those, you can group up a lot of mobs at once and just AoE them down (try to build up some combo points on your main target when it's about to die so you get healed from Rift Scavenger, then move on to the next enemy).

Rogue tanks are generally a bit squishy while leveling, because you don't have key defensive abilities like Shadow Guard or Improved Guardian Phase until higher levels. Guarded Steel, Phantom Blow, Ruthless Stalker, Rift Disturbance, and Phantom Blow are the key buffs/debuffs that you'll want to keep active.

I've written a guide on rogue tanking. It's mainly focused towards level 50, but there's still information in there that's helpful while leveling. Check my signature for a link.
    Last edited by Muspel; 08-10-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Soulwalker

You've actually been super helpful. I have more questions now, how should I be leveling? Should I just group all the way to 50? Should I be trying to quest all the way there? I'm having a difficulty managing quests. I've been outleveling them and I have a completion problem when playing MMOs and I absolutely have to finish, unless it is complete waste of time.

Should I be questing as hard as I am?

There's not a huge difference in leveling speed between quests, dungeons, and instant adventures. Do whichever one you enjoy.

Rift Disciple

Riftstalker is, in fact, great for soloing - it's of all my characters / roles my best soloing spec, I believe. The trick, at least for me, seems to be to hybridize it with assassin, and to stay in Stalker mode. Rift Scavenger (from Riftstalker) and Leeching Poison (Assassin - improves with Magnify Pain and Poison Potency) means you have a lot of survivability. Try and get just a few points in Bladedancer for Sidestep (great for those uh-oh moments), Strike Back and Reprisal. Compound Attack will be good, too, but it can wait.

Overall, I seem to keep Assassin and Riftstalker quite even in points, with a smattering in Bladedancer. I'm level 36 now, and it's great fun to play.
    History is not written by those who are right,
    But by those who are left.

Ascendant

Leveling spec - Ranger/Bard/BD - dps/self-healing and dps/ all above mentioned AND SideSteps (Dodge) - along the way you will learn the best Dps build so far in the game = Ranger 51; you will get into the Bard role, and mayhaps also like something about that = Burn Bard, or 51 Bard; you will learn that Bard, BD, Ranger will all be useful to consider in your RS tank role, by already being exposed to their lower point uses.

Everything you need to level patiently and with loads of fun to 50, you will gear Dps, and learn Dps; as well as take opportune drops of Tank gear in dungeons for your RS build.

Check the guides, they are informative.

As stated, the real game begins at 50.

Regards.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Twervy View Post
    You've actually been super helpful. I have more questions now, how should I be leveling? Should I just group all the way to 50? Should I be trying to quest all the way there? I'm having a difficulty managing quests. I've been outleveling them and I have a completion problem when playing MMOs and I absolutely have to finish, unless it is complete waste of time.

Should I be questing as hard as I am?
    If you want to get good exp etc from the quests you're doing even when outleveled, mentor yourself down to finish the rest
    Raenryong@Deepwood R69 ~ Amathys@Zaviel (Rogue)
    Serefina@Deepwood R66 ~ Solserefina@Zaviel (Warrior)
    Seraena@Deepwood R80 ~ Seraena@Zaviel R70 (Cleric)
    Avalonia@Deepwood R66 ~ Avalonia@Zaviel (Mage)
    <Dauntless> ~ <Excellence>

+ Reply to Thread