+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Does anyone else do this with Ranger in raid?

Rift Disciple

Default Does anyone else do this with Ranger in raid?

so.... I think it was Mayi a long time a go made a post saying he/she had the following ranger combo builder/rotation:

#show Shadow Fire
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shadow Fire
    cast Splinter Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Swift Shot
    cast Escape Artist

they also said they quickshot after 1cp after every finisher.... I have always used this while using hasted shot.. I pull like 4400 Ituziels with pvp gun (got my howl last night!) and mostly mark gear. Obvious things aside like headshot and rest, does anyone think im losing a lot of dps by doing this? Everytime i put quickshot in macro and switch to headshot fulltime I end up losing dps..

Plane Walker

Not sure why you have escape artist in that macro. Perhaps it's causing some macro lag since most of the time it's not going to have anything to counter? Grats on the gun, maybe we'll see another tonight ; )

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyloch View Post
    Not sure why you have escape artist in that macro. Perhaps it's causing some macro lag since most of the time it's not going to have anything to counter? Grats on the gun, maybe we'll see another tonight ; )
    lol hi Drey! I think I copy/pasted that macro like a million years ago thats why!

Personal preference but I feel slight lag when having break free and escape artist in the macro.

Could be just me I suppose.

Howto do good DPS as ranger.

1. Get Petattack in your main macro, Yes, so your pet always stick to your main target no matter what, I see many rangers not having this, and getting their pet run to random mobs(Happens if your pet takes damage from another source), or run back to owner. I also have a separate macro for encounters like Warboss drak, or Ruslia without Petattack, since I don't want pet to run the the fire elemental(if you dont ignore them with rogue tanks), or the Longshots, aka dps loss as pet will have to run to the target, to then re-build the Rend stacks, to then have the mob die in a few secs to then run back to main target and re-build rend stacks once again, you dont want this to happen. Also put petcast Bloodied Blow, Rend and Razor Lash in main macro, you want to spam the button as hard as possible to get the pet abilities go off on cooldown. You want this, if anyone says different, they are bads.

2. Priority finnishers are as starters: Rapid Fire Shot > Headshot > Concussive blast, you should only ever use headshot first if you have pre-loaded 5CPS with sab charges. Once you have done the starter use concussive Blast on cooldown over headshot. And of course with RFS with the main priority.

3. Use first Feral Aggression with first Flaring Power and Wild Growth, it usually pops after your 2nd ord 3rd finnisher. Then use on cooldown as it's usually in synergy with Wild Growth.

4. Always use quick shot manually to apply bleed, but keep in mind, if Splinter shot is off CD, it have priority over a quick shot.

5. Dont waste CP's like most scrub rangers. aka if splinter or shadowfire comes off cooldown and you have 4cps, which happends alot, manually do a quick shot to build 5th CP and save splinter/shadow for next rotation. Either use addons to track CD's, or do like me and put them on a separate key.

6. Try not to move to much unless you have to, you lose auto attacks by doing so, which is a decent amount of DPS.

7. also, get rid of break free / escape artist, it causes macro-Que delays believe it or not.

Do all this and you can break the 4.4k barrier and reach the 4.6 - 4.7 which is where you should be at on a boss like ituziel. Assuming you have a good archon/bard, and do it with the tactic where boss never moves. Moving = dps loss, obviously.
    Last edited by Haipaa; 08-08-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    AFK.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Haipaa View Post
    5. Dont waste CP's like most scrub rangers. aka if splinter or shadowfire comes off cooldown and you have 4cps, which happends alot, manually do a quick shot to build 5th CP and save splinter/shadow for next rotation. Either use addons to track CD's, or do like me and put them on a separate key.
    Actually, there's no DPS loss in building a "sixth" combo point, especially with splinter shot. You will get more DPS by reapplying the debuff as soon as possible than waiting an arbitrary amount of time due to having too many CPs. Ultimately, you put the shot on CD sooner, and it comes back sooner.

The only DPS gain I can imagine would come from saving shadow fire, once again, not because it's the sixth combo point, but because the cool down is 4 seconds shorter than the duration of the buffs it applies, and thus can be withheld longer before it needs to be refreshed, but then again, it's not as if shadow fire does less damage to the target than hasted shot.

In conclusion: don't wait to cast 2 CP moves just because you're already at 4 CP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sculduggery View Post
    Actually, there's no DPS loss in building a "sixth" combo point, especially with splinter shot. You will get more DPS by reapplying the debuff as soon as possible than waiting an arbitrary amount of time due to having too many CPs. Ultimately, you put the shot on CD sooner, and it comes back sooner.

The only DPS gain I can imagine would come from saving shadow fire, once again, not because it's the sixth combo point, but because the cool down is 4 seconds shorter than the duration of the buffs it applies, and thus can be withheld longer before it needs to be refreshed, but then again, it's not as if shadow fire does less damage to the target than hasted shot.

In conclusion: don't wait to cast 2 CP moves just because you're already at 4 CP.
    Wrong in so many levels, the main DPS does not come from Splinter Shot, it comes from your finishers, wasting CP's is bad.
    AFK.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

I used to think this too. Then I tested it and it was just plain wrong. You want to be as efficient as possible when building CPs to fire more finishers.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 08-08-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Rift Disciple

Wrong in so many levels, the main DPS does not come from Splinter Shot, it comes from your finishers, wasting CP's is bad.
    great retort, glad you backed it up with so much evidence... no wait, just anecdotal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    I used to think this too. Then I tested it and it was just plain wrong. You want to be as efficient as possible when building CPs to fire more finishers.
    maybe if you always get the shot as the last in the chain before the finisher, but i doubt that's the case. if you adjusted your macro, the cast order might be better.
    Last edited by Sculduggery; 08-08-2012 at 08:13 AM.

great retort, glad you backed it up with so much evidence... no wait, just anecdotal.
    Don t need to, there is a reason I do 4.7k with ranger, and others 4.4k.

Splinter Shot is NOT a huge DPS skill by itself, but it giving 2 CP's is the key, finishers are your main DPS source, and getting many of them. Wasting loads of CP's trough out a fight will give you less finishers overall, resulting in lower dps.

Look at http://imageshack.us/f/502/actz.jpg/ and tell me if it's worth to waste CP's for big splinter shot DPS.

And note, this doesn't happen all the time, it's only random moments you need to do the 5th cp manually when the timers mess up.

Now move along
    AFK.

About what to do at 4cps with splinter or shadowfire on cooldown, it's definitely best not to use splinter or shadowfire. I still haven't decided what I like doing best though, it's between headshot at 4cps, 1 cp combo builder or quick shot. I use a 1 cp combo builder atm.

Another tip I picked up from Haipaa is to start off your rotation with piercing - headshot, I'm going to try that out this week. A 1 cp headshot will give you the buff for 12 seconds and lets you get rapid fire shot off earlier.

Back in the day I played with the rotation a lot and decided on 2 combo builder - quick - 2 combo builder (then 1 combo builder before a finisher depending on how many combo points you have). I found this works as well or better then trying to weave in quick shot but I don't know why. It's either a matter of practice weaving in quick shot or I'm getting a tick of the dot + a quick shot off in the same second because of lag. No one actually fires a combo builder every second.

Haipaa do you have the relic bow? Back on PTS when I was playing with ranger with raid buffs and the ID raid bag I had it at 4.7k dps (so full relics), 4.6 is a lot higher then I've ever parsed so you're doing something else maybe I'm not? I play sin-rs on Ituziel though so haven't had a chance to test ranger in a while.
    Last edited by Mayi; 08-08-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Rift Disciple

Look at http://imageshack.us/f/502/actz.jpg/ and tell me if it's worth to waste CP's for big splinter shot DPS.
    data seems incomplete. i see fight duration but not up time. and seriously, to call 5% of your dps insignificant real seems like a misinterpretation of what it means to dps.

Rift Disciple

also, hasted shot? doing something wrong...

Rift Disciple

Howto do good DPS as ranger.

4. Always use quick shot manually to apply bleed, but keep in mind, if Splinter shot is off CD, it have priority over a quick shot.
    Solid info. The reason I apply quickshot every rotation is because I hate when it comes off as I am putting up my 5th CP. Then I have to use finisher of course. Which is 2 seconds w/o quickshot up. Any thoughts on this?

also, hasted shot? doing something wrong...
    Ok, im done with you, you are obviously clueless.
    AFK.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast