+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Drainstalker Help

Soulwalker

Default Drainstalker Help

I am trying a new spec for Laethys the drainstalker and I am trying to get best dps out of this spec drain stalker. here is build
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#yGl8lqB10/t9Fkyw/AhM

It is 38 Sin / 20 RS / 8 Marksman

HAs anyone used this spec before and does anyone know rotation and macros if you have them. Thanks.

Telaran

You are going to run into some serious issues with where the teleports take you. I'm not saying it isn't possible, just that unless you have an amazing system/internet connection/response time, this will likely be a DPS loss on your part. Of course, this is also dependent upon how your raid does its positioning to begin with.

Your rotation will be the exact same as a bloodstalker if you want to maximize a teleport build. You have no new abilities besides that of the drain poison.

My best advice is to look elsewhere for your solution. Find yourself an assassin build that is reliant on your movements and is sufficient for your draining DPS needs, or go with the defaults of standard ranger or nightblade if the drain isn't required.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rethan Sorrowsoul View Post
    You are going to run into some serious issues with where the teleports take you. I'm not saying it isn't possible, just that unless you have an amazing system/internet connection/response time, this will likely be a DPS loss on your part. Of course, this is also dependent upon how your raid does its positioning to begin with.

Your rotation will be the exact same as a bloodstalker if you want to maximize a teleport build. You have no new abilities besides that of the drain poison.

My best advice is to look elsewhere for your solution. Find yourself an assassin build that is reliant on your movements and is sufficient for your draining DPS needs, or go with the defaults of standard ranger or nightblade if the drain isn't required.
    This is 95% wrong. I don't know if this guy has never seen Laethys or is just ignorant of the mechanics because others are handling the important parts, but disregard what he said. Keep using drainstalker, and keep the same rotation as normal bloodstalker. Its very easy to tell when you should not teleport in phase 1. If there is currently no red AOE down, then its about to be cast, so wait 2 seconds until it is, then blink.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 08-04-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Telaran

play it just like regular bloodstalker, when you port, be backing up to get back in the melee pile, else you may get insta'sploded by the stack on meteor mechanic.

Use sab and make the mages drain!

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Once you time the blinks, it's perfectly manageable and 51 sin is a significant DPS loss.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMageNerfDelivery View Post
    Once you time the blinks, it's perfectly manageable and 51 sin is a significant DPS loss.
    There is a difference between playing a stalker-based build once you have the mob on farm and when you are on progression.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    This is 95% wrong. I don't know if this guy has never seen Laethys or is just ignorant of the mechanics because others are handling the important parts, but disregard what he said. Keep using drainstalker, and keep the same rotation as normal bloodstalker. Its very easy to tell when you should not teleport in phase 1. If there is currently no red AOE down, then its about to be cast, so wait 2 seconds until it is, then blink.
    Of the two of us, only one has actually killed Laethys. Looking at your sig, that person isn't you. While I realize you generally live in your own bubble, we are on the same server. Feel free to take your foot out of your mouth whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMageNerfDelivery View Post
    I've seen how NQ does this, and as I said in my original post, it depends on how your raid does its positioning. For some guilds, this spec is dangerous and may/may not out-dps 51 assassin. For us, it isn't worth the switch the majority of the time. That said, the learning curve may be the issue in some cases.

Rift Chaser

I must say i am just recently gettng into DPS specs and trying to get better at it im at the bottom of the list when it comes to dps gear distribution but i tried several specs on this boss! (and no we have yet to kill leathys)!

I tried :
    51 assassin with 10 MM and 5 RS and with 15 MM 0 RS both were around 3300/3600 for me the differences were tiny!

Tried the adjusted bloodstalker build dps was around 3100 / 3300 however im sure my rotation wasnt perfect since i never played the spec b4!

Tried 51 ranger 15 MM pulled about 3800 / 4100

Tried nightblade (this was a while ago tho) only pulled about 2200 maybe im doing something wrong

Tried bladedancer (without crystal) did about 2700 - 3100 i did die on that pull tho! when i tried again i was around 2900!

so for me basically if i am not on drain duty i go with 51 ranger if i am on drain duty ill go with 51 assy

So it all depends on yer own preference and skill lvl my skilllvl on dps is very low atm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rethan Sorrowsoul View Post
    Of the two of us, only one has actually killed Laethys. Looking at your sig, that person isn't you. While I realize you generally live in your own bubble, we are on the same server. Feel free to take your foot out of your mouth whenever.

I've seen how NQ does this, and as I said in my original post, it depends on how your raid does its positioning. For some guilds, this spec is dangerous and may/may not out-dps 51 assassin. For us, it isn't worth the switch the majority of the time. That said, the learning curve may be the issue in some cases.
    I know who you are. I was making fun of you for not knowing what you're talking about. I'm sorry that was not apparent in my first post. When I mock you in the future, I'll try to be a bit more on the nose.

Just for clarity: no matter how anyone does the fight, and no matter what positioning is used, drainstalker will smash 51-sin. The fight is inherently dangerous for melee. If you're a good player, you mitigate that danger by playing well, and timing blinks correctly, not by using a garbage PvP spec and getting carried.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxxey View Post
    I must say i am just recently gettng into DPS specs and trying to get better at it im at the bottom of the list when it comes to dps gear distribution but i tried several specs on this boss! (and no we have yet to kill leathys)!

I tried :
    51 assassin with 10 MM and 5 RS and with 15 MM 0 RS both were around 3300/3600 for me the differences were tiny!

Tried the adjusted bloodstalker build dps was around 3100 / 3300 however im sure my rotation wasnt perfect since i never played the spec b4!

Tried nightblade (this was a while ago tho) only pulled about 2200 maybe im doing something wrong

Tried bladedancer (without crystal) did about 2700 - 3100 i did die on that pull tho! when i tried again i was around 2900!

so for me basically if i am not on drain duty i go with 51 ranger if i am on drain duty ill go with 51 assy

So it all depends on yer own preference and skill lvl my skilllvl on dps is very low atm.....
    No offense, but these numbers are likely a function of you being inexperienced at DPS. The Bloodstalker rotation has the highest learning curve for rogues by far. If you're executing it correctly, you'll be easily over 4k on Laethys. The reason you did better with Ranger is that spec has the simplest rotation and better AOE.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 08-06-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Before we had relic mainhands our drainstalkers were doing about 3800-4000 P1 and about 3600-4000 P2 (RNG can suck with forcing disconnects on boss)

With Nightblade I pull around 3600-4000 P1 and never ran it in P2 (tried melee for progression)

Rangers are doing 5000-5700 P1 (lol fan out) and around 4000 P2.

This is of course with our rogues having a minimum of 400PA.

It's nice to know that 51sin isn't doing terribly, I might give it a whirl, but it does sound like you might not be doing something correctly with the numbers you posted.
    FT:4/4 EE:5/5 DQ:4/4

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    No offense, but these numbers are likely a function of you being inexperienced at DPS. The Bloodstalker rotation has the highest learning curve for rogues by far. If you're executing it correctly, you'll be easily over 4k on Laethys. The reason you did better with Ranger is that spec has the simplest rotation and better AOE.
    no offense taken since i did mention that in my post! however would ya mind dropping some average numbers in here when you are dpsing it ? i started tanking this encounter but the raidleader decided a warrior tank was a better choice and i kinda agree with that for this fight so i have to make myself usefull in other ways!

Also keep in mind im not running BIS gear its a mix match of dropped ID and HK relics and the aky weapons i do have the pvp p50 gun tho!

oh and on ranger i didnt do any AE dps either just single target burning leathys!

I dunno but it prolly boils down to practice practice practice!
    Last edited by Styxxey; 08-06-2012 at 07:07 AM.

no offense taken since i did mention that in my post! however would ya mind dropping some average numbers in here when you are dpsing it ? i started tanking this encounter but the raidleader decided a warrior tank was a better choice and i kinda agree with that for this fight so i have to make myself usefull in other ways!

Also keep in mind im not running BIS gear its a mix match of dropped ID and HK relics and the aky weapons i do have the pvp p50 gun tho!

oh and on ranger i didnt do any AE dps either just single target burning leathys!

I dunno but it prolly boils down to practice practice practice!
    Your ranger is lying. Even if he didn't intentionally AOE, his pet cleaves. However, I bet 10 butts that he was using Trick Shot when the mobs were brought in for AOE. Trick Shot has a very telltale sound when it bounces so listen for it next time.

That said, I think Ranger is probably the best spec for this fight from a pure DPS role. People talk of Nightblade and I can definitely see its use for shortening phase 3, but for my money, Ranger is the way to go.

I haven't been playing my rogue on this fight so I can't give you any personal numbers, except for our first week when I was drainstalker. Our Cleric Tank had to take a RL break and as a result I've been tanking it as a cleric for the past 2 weeks.

Our first week I did about 4k as drainstalker with no ID gear except set pieces, and no relics. Now I've gotten significantly more PAs, a ring, and some PvP weapons, so I expect that number to be significantly higher.

By contrast, our well-geared drainstalker does about 4.5, our NB does about 4.7 and our Rangers do about 5k. These are all P1 numbers. The transition and weirdness of P2 make things wonky and Ranger really does better in P2 because it has more uptime.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 08-06-2012 at 11:41 AM.

I tried :

Compare all of that to doing 6-9k dps phase 1 and 4100 dps phase 2 and you see why sab is the best spec for this encounter.
    Last edited by Zyzyx; 08-06-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Rift Chaser

Your ranger is lying

Erm i thought i mentioned i tried those specs myself.....and yes the pet AEs and yes i time the 1 min CD thingie with adds being brought in and i try to use concussive blast when they are pulled in you would be stupid not too, however that doesnt always work! No trickshot No fan out no AE tho just pure single target CP builders!

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    Compare all of that to doing 6-9k dps phase 1 and 4100 dps phase 2 and you see why sab is the best spec for this encounter.
    Zyzyx we have 1 rogue running sab in our raid and he parses close to 10 k on P1 but with the AE on 2 rounds of adds i wouldnt expect any less! However i dont know how to play sab at all i dont even have a clue i tried yer guide (i was on yer shard for a bit and send a few tells ya never replied). But it just didnt fly with me maybe dps is just not my thing and i need to accept that i will always be subpar at it.

However why do you think sabo is the best rogue spec for that fight? could you elaborate? doesnt it suck to use sab when all adds are gone already? since single target its a lot less dps isnt it?
    Last edited by Styxxey; 08-06-2012 at 01:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast