+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DPS Bard??

Soulwalker

Default DPS Bard??

I have a rogue alt that from time to time I am asked to bring into our raids, and I am curious to see what the highest dps bard spec is. In our particular raid group, the added healing is not really necessary yet the motifs and anthems bring a lot to our group. Anyone got an idea of what I could try?

P.S.: I am more than well aware that its probably not going to be incredible (or even middle of the pack) dps, so save yourself the time of saying "its gonna suck but...", just trying for a different dynamic for our group.

Plane Walker

It really boils down to if they want Verse of Joy or not. If they can live without it, you can look at modifying a "burn bard" spec. I believe you can find that in the Rogue bible guide from Zyzyx in the guide section.

Would also depend on if they want you to do any interrupting, if you'd be doing any debuffs,and if you prefer ranged or melee.I would suggest a ranged build because at least then you can use some of the bard attacks. Albeit a 20 meter range, but it's still more attack options.

I think people get the wrong idea about bards, they are not there to DPS themselves, but provide an overall increase in DPS and buffs to a party or raid that it seems like there is another DPS there. Let me explain:
    If there are 10 people doing 1000dps in a raid and then a bard adds 10% increase to each person, thats another 1000dps added. Just like if another dps chr was playing. This is only an example as im not sure of the exact numbers. It might even be higher!
    The bard is a team player and its a shame so many people look at individual DPS rather than an overall team effort.

Quote Originally Posted by amace View Post
    I think people get the wrong idea about bards, they are not there to DPS themselves, but provide an overall increase in DPS and buffs to a party or raid that it seems like there is another DPS there. Let me explain:
    If there are 10 people doing 1000dps in a raid and then a bard adds 10% increase to each person, thats another 1000dps added. Just like if another dps chr was playing. This is only an example as im not sure of the exact numbers. It might even be higher!
    The bard is a team player and its a shame so many people look at individual DPS rather than an overall team effort.
    I think the OP understands this and just wants to see if there's a way to eke a bit more DPS out of it providing the same buffs, as people commonly do with archons

Quote Originally Posted by amace View Post
    I think people are well aware that this is a bard's function.

There are nevertheless ways to give the bard decent damage output to pair with the motifs + resonance for 5-man or 10-man situations where a 51 bard's +10% buff to two dps characters wouldn't offset the gain from going pure dps themselves. I used to always sockets a dps bard build with 32 bard (for Fervor + Resonance + Motifs + emergency healing) and some dps souls, but I just ran out of room. Best bet might be something that goes 32 Bard and pairs it with NB.

For 20s, a take on Burn Bard is best if your raid doesn't want/need VoJ.
    Last edited by Kyera; 08-02-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

51bard/15ranger with ranger synergy crystal

see sig

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

sure.. can it be done.. yeah, but chances are if you are focusing more on dps as a bard, then you aren't barding for progression, people in the raid outgear the content, and you have too much time on your hands.

While the barding basics can leave one falling asleep, I assure you in a situation where bard really are still being needed you will not have enough time on your hands for a parser to even register something substantial.

St dps will almost certainly be out of the question.. but aoe dps is doable, especially spamming CoF while on virtuoso, other than that weapon flare or spamout.

pretty sure though in the end you will either be occupied with barding + raid mechanics/functions or going full dps. We wont be anything at all like an archon, who can easily scrape together 2k dps with little to no effort.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    51bard/15ranger with ranger synergy crystal

see sig
    Which is basically useless. But thanks for playing. Only reason to have rgr in bard is for piercing shot.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post
    sure.. can it be done.. yeah, but chances are if you are focusing more on dps as a bard, then you aren't barding for progression, people in the raid outgear the content, and you have too much time on your hands.

While the barding basics can leave one falling asleep, I assure you in a situation where bard really are still being needed you will not have enough time on your hands for a parser to even register something substantial.

St dps will almost certainly be out of the question.. but aoe dps is doable, especially spamming CoF while on virtuoso, other than that weapon flare or spamout.

pretty sure though in the end you will either be occupied with barding + raid mechanics/functions or going full dps. We wont be anything at all like an archon, who can easily scrape together 2k dps with little to no effort.
    Not to mention using anything but CoR as a finisher in full ID gear is a raid DPS loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    Not to mention using anything but CoR as a finisher in full ID gear is a raid DPS loss.
    And a healing loss. This is assuming you have Karine's Fancy Songblade mind.

Soulwalker

What's the reason to go for VoJ anyway ? Unless you have Denis spec in your raid, nobody is starved/need mana with fervor, even living energy can be enough.
    Charges are only useful for the mages but can they gain them while internalise charge and entropic veil is active ?

I made a bard soul for Itu progression since our DPS was too close to the enrage : 40/26 ranger with crystal/greater. It did quite well, usually around 1K5 ST DPS and heals are decent if needed (nice during sub 30% phase). I use it regularly on boss who are not AoE heavy. Nobody never complained about that.

Quote Originally Posted by malaiss View Post
    What's the reason to go for VoJ anyway ? Unless you have Denis spec in your raid, nobody is starved/need mana with fervor, even living energy can be enough.
    Rogues are energy starved with fervor in virtually every spec.

Quote Originally Posted by malaiss View Post
    Charges are only useful for the mages but can they gain them while internalise charge and entropic veil is active ?

I made a bard soul for Itu progression since our DPS was too close to the enrage : 40/26 ranger with crystal/greater. It did quite well, usually around 1K5 ST DPS and heals are decent if needed (nice during sub 30% phase). I use it regularly on boss who are not AoE heavy. Nobody never complained about that.
    Increases both mage and rogue dps noticeably. VoJ is the only ability in the game which increases mage focus and the devs have ignored rogue energy starvation after fixing warrior power starvation for several months now.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

+ Reply to Thread