+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sword vs axes vs daggers And PA

Soulwalker

Default Sword vs axes vs daggers And PA

Hey guys, been stuck a bit lately, I have 2 of the seditionst daggers that I am currently using, but I was wondering and searched around a bit about axes and swords. Now my question is are axes or swords better than daggers with their respective planar attunement? Such as duel wielding swords and using the fire PA better than daggers and air?
    Thanks for the help

Rift Disciple

if the dps and stats are the same, then there is no difference

the only benefit is if you're using a matched pair, then you only have to spec one type of PA.

use whatever is available to you and spec PA accordingly.

Soulwalker

But there is a difference between swords and axes, as swords have AP on them and axes have the same stats as daggers?

Rift Disciple

are you implying that daggers and axes don't have AP on them?

because that's not correct.

here are just a few examples.

there is ultimately no benefit to using one type of weapon over another. if the dps and the stats are the same (and it is possible for them to be the same), then the only benefit would be to use a matched pair so that you only have to specialize into one PA type.
    Last edited by Sculduggery; 07-30-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sculduggery View Post
    are you implying that daggers and axes don't have AP on them?
    If he's using Seditionist's Shivs, I imagine he's speaking from a PvP weapon context (since you'd probably opt for PvE weapons if you had them and didn't particularly need the valor). As such, his comparables would be akin to Legionnaire's Longsword, Seditionist's Axe, and the aforementioned Seditionist's Shiv. Of those, only the swords have AP on them.

Gotta be mindful of the context. ;)

As for which tree is better, it likely depends on where your crit is sitting -- I personally went Fire w/ Swords after 1.9, but I can tell you that I feel the loss of crit, so I've started dumping points into Air to pick up Dex again. If you're running strictly PvP gear and a PvP engine, your best bet might be Air w/ Daggers.
    Last edited by Kyera; 07-30-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Rift Chaser

If you always melee then at that gear level air with bows/daggers will be much better. I reset PA when I made r36 and went to fire/gun/sword. It is nice to be able to KO the unwary now with the gun but my crit took a big hit of course. My ap is actually lower also but that is temporary as I am filling gun/sword in life/earth.
    Last edited by ChelequaRom; 07-30-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Plane Walker

Dunno about you guys, but I chose swords/guns for pa (fire and etc) as it matched the pvp weapons so well for Ap. Now, I'm lacking a bit in crit also, only managing 957 or so, but I think it's well worth having 1258 ap in a 3 pieces id/rest pvp set of gear. (I don't have the p50 synergy crystal yet, so I'm pigeon holing with maxing out ap and hk synergy crystals, oh and I'm playing 51mm/15 ranger most the time, where these stats come from.)

I don't worry about crit too much as being a rogue, it comes naturally from the gear. A more specific set of gear I'm using is Id shoulders, gloves, and boots. They replaced my crit heavy pvp gear. The rest is p50 junk, the rigns and necklace are reaper's. Now I'm sure that when I do get a p50 synergy crystal, I'll be wearing the full pvp set. But until then, being the squishy in the back isn't so bad.

(I do miss playing something with nb and not worrying about dying, lol.)

Champion

For PvP you would want shivs or axes for every spec except Sabo. Crit is king until you reach the soft cap.

+ Reply to Thread