+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The importance of a ranged soul in every build

Soulwalker

Default The importance of a ranged soul in every build

Just how important/big dmg difference does having a ranged soul actually have? Nowadays i always throw in a ranger or marksman in every build i do just because my ranged weapon far out-dps my melee ones just like most ppl and im afraid i will do alot less dps if i go all-melee souls. Is there any way to calculate how much the ranged weapon DPS is worth compared to say 15% AP from unseen fury-riftstalker, 15% straight damage from nightblade-blazing etc if i dont spec into any ranged soul.

Havent found any reliable info so all input is very welcome

I refer youto the rogue bible.. lots of good info in there. IMO, the only thing that truly takes advantage of your range weapon dps modifier is BARD via cadence and SAB with its "weapons dmg" based abilities, take heed, you must not be in melee for these to work, as being in melee range automatically switches the main "weapon" over to your main hand wep. You can also parse, like many of us did, with all melee souls for the bard, then do it with a 0 point ranged soul, and notice the difference applied to those abilities, like cadence, is lexactly the difference in dps between your melee weapon and your ranged weapon.

All that said.. no, using a ranged soul in all of your builds will not make them all better simply due to the "ranged weapons" dps stat.. if anything they might take some from MM purely for the +dmg+ap modifiers. But in the end pure melee builds dont often have any ranged sub souls in them. Other than the wonky bard.. everything eslse in rogue is pretty split down the middle.. Now, ranged specs may use melee sub souls to modify them, something like applying poison to a blade so to speak. They will not be the essence of the build, but mearly add some small benefit to it.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the info. Yeah i have read the rogue bible but didnt really find what i was looking for. Ive been reading your bard guides several times, very entertaining and useful reading as im always barding raid content with my guild

Atm im toying with a PVP Sab spec, 51 for rapid setup and mostly focusing on being a stealthy glass cannon with high burst dps either via:

51 SAB, 4 RS, 11MM - Though, applying charges doesnt proc the Increased Fire Power so im losing out some nice burst damage on my initial detonate/AnniBomb etc and in the worst case it wont crit and im loosing out some more AP. This seems to be the common pvp sab spec though so maybe its the best anyway.

51 SAB. 4 RS, 11 NB - For the obvious damage talents and a stable damage directly from the first attack. It would leave me without a ranged soul though. :/

+ Reply to Thread