+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wanna make a combat rogue... Rift style.

Default Wanna make a combat rogue... Rift style.

Hey all. I've only been playing Rift a couple months and I have done all of my rogueing as either a mm or mm/ranger. I was considering buying another calling and setting up something like a WoW combat rogue; stealth, burst, poison, stuns and still able to go toe to toe with someone.

Any thoughts on which three souls I should use? No experience at all with any of them other than zero points in riftstalker for the teleport.

Thanks

Try reading your soul abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ymirson View Post
    Try reading your soul abilities.
    You could just say "I don't know." I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time.

Champion

Try reading your assassin, blade dancer, and rift stalker soul abilities?

Nightblade/RS is probably what you want. It has everything on that list other than poisons-- instead, you enchant your weapons with fire and death, and apply a fire-based DoT effect. Functionally speaking, it has more in common with rogue poisons in WoW than assassin poisons. It's also a much better toe-to-toe spec than Assassin/RS, due to the large amount of defensive cooldowns.

However, Nightblade's stealth is only a 30-second duration, unlike Assassins who can get permastealth. You also won't be able to stealth mid-combat, and you don't have a stun (although you do have two CCs, one of which is only useable in stealth).

Quote Originally Posted by rennlc View Post
    Try reading your assassin, blade dancer, and rift stalker soul abilities?
    I have read the abilities... Having never played any of them, though, it's tough to know whether I'll be energy starved, for example. My inclination is to go 40 points into assassin for Hidden Veil, which sounds really cool though I'm not sure if that is too high into that tree (or too low into that tree's roots) to go.

Riftstalker (for the defense) and assassin (for the stealth) seem the way to go. Waffling on Bladedancer versus Nightblade.

But yeah. Everyone. I'm a strong reader. English degree, professional journalist and all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Nightblade/RS is probably what you want. It has everything on that list other than poisons-- instead, you enchant your weapons with fire and death, and apply a fire-based DoT effect. Functionally speaking, it has more in common with rogue poisons in WoW than assassin poisons. It's also a much better toe-to-toe spec than Assassin/RS, due to the large amount of defensive cooldowns.

However, Nightblade's stealth is only a 30-second duration, unlike Assassins who can get permastealth. You also won't be able to stealth mid-combat, and you don't have a stun (although you do have two CCs, one of which is only useable in stealth).
    That's an interesting take on fire and death being functionally similar to poison. Thanks. Gonna play around with that.

Plane Touched

I have no idea how well it works if you're not great geared seeing as i'm completely maxed P50 but 51 sin 11 mm 4 rs is phenominal for me.
    ~*Yayoh *~ - Derpwood.

The Sin/Rs/RB (24/22/20) one works for me really well, you know, the Ember Isle build.

Can spot tank elites in IA, can solo all sorts of things with ease, decent aoe and st damage and is great fun to play too.
    Notice : My signature is now only available from my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Annuvyn View Post
    The Sin/Rs/RB (24/22/20) one works for me really well, you know, the Ember Isle build.

Can spot tank elites in IA, can solo all sorts of things with ease, decent aoe and st damage and is great fun to play too.
    I think he's looking for a PvP build, based on the request to "go toe-to-toe with someone" (correct me if I'm wrong here). RS/Sin/BD is a terrible spec for that.

Yeah, I'm sure I would use it occasionally to sneak past mobs for quests but it would be primarily for pvp. I shoulda been more clear.

I won't be able to experiment with any of this until Sunday night but I appreciate the ideas.

I'd love to be able to "sap" a couple of guys at The Vault, cap the flag, "sap" them again and then go to work on them one at a time. Not sure how workable that will be, though.

I wish there was a soul tree calculator app for this dumbazzed Windows Phone.
    Last edited by DanteGalileo; 07-20-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Rift Disciple

That's building more like a sub rogue from wow, which would utilize the assassin tree from rift. The most popular tree for this is 51 assassin / 15 marksman. other variations exist, but they sacrifice damage and control for more defensive stats.

Blade dancer is the closest match to the original combat rogue from wow, but i remember they changed it in wotlk to remove any bonus related to dodge or defense.

there's no talent build in rift that has a particular weapon focus like it does in wow. weapon focus doesn't come around until you're spending planar attunement points at level 50, so you can't really have sword/mace/unarmed focus like in wow.

also, diminishing returns in rift are capped really hard. after the first disable, the next has a 50% duration, and then the target becomes immune. some class/spec combinations have more than two escapes, so attempting to stun lock them really won't be very effective. for example, the sin build linked above has break free + cut and run.

Yeah I had noticed what seemed to be a lot of stun breaks in this game. I didn't realize that dr were so... Over the top.

Fwiw I didn't start combat rogueing (with a 70 twink) until mid-to-late WotLK.

Rift Disciple

back when the trinket reward for the unspoken was best-in-slot for dps rogues, i remember grinding codex mostly by camping the vault as 51sin/15mm. it worked pretty well for doing exactly what you were asking for. the permanent stealth, control, and burst were really useful when defending against defiant trickling in one or two at a time, but there were sometimes unwinnable situations where all you could do was rez and run back.

i remember finishing the rep, but don't remember ever getting the trinket. i know they changed it to be more pvp oriented (replaced ap with vengeance), but that was more than a year ago.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast