+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Marksman in PVP/PVE

Default Marksman in PVP/PVE

I'm fairly new to RIFT and want to start a ranged marksman toon for PVP/PVE.
    Is this viable?

I looked at the Shadow Gunner build. Do you have any other suggestions?

That build would be less of a glass cannon than mine, but if you want all fire power and not much else, the 51MM is a fun build in PvP. If you want better survivability and a better chance in melee then go with the Shadow Gunner.
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

The only thing that matters is, when you reach 50. Before then, don't worry about much, and just keep leveling.

Glass cannon:
    51MM/15ranger (with 2 piece Hammerknell ranger crystal for instant shadow fire)
    51MM/15nightblade

Tankier, less damage but good survivability and better movement:
    44MM/22riftstalker (44, to still have that purge)

I won't go into details on what talents to choose, those vary from person to person. But those are your cookie cutter PvP builds. The 51MM/15ranger is also the top tier single-target rogue DPS build for PvE.
    Last edited by Slic; 07-17-2012 at 05:18 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Slic View Post
    The 51MM/15ranger is also the top tier single-target rogue DPS build for PvE.
    This is the only line I'll disagree with, but everything else I agree with. 51 MM is mostly an interrupt/purge spec for PvE now.
    Last edited by Adastra; 07-17-2012 at 05:57 AM.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
    This is the only line I'll disagree with, but everything else I agree with. 51 MM is mostly an interrupt/purge spec for PvE now.
    It's not the absolute best single-target, but it IS top tier. It's ease of use means most players find that it's the spec they can consistently do the most damage with. Think Chun Li in Street Fiighter 3 3rd Strike - top tier character, but the best players in the world don't use her very often (Kuroda, Daigo, Kokujin, KO, etc.).

Again, it's ridiculously easy to use, it is 35m range (RIFT hates melee), and the list goes on.
    Last edited by Slic; 07-17-2012 at 06:02 AM.

If you're wanting to get to know the marksmen spec for both pve and pvp I would recommend going 51 MM. The spec you showed is pretty much a murky play style for a mm. You want to kite and kite well as any ranged class in this game and not half your utility for melee utility when you're a kiting ranged class. I'm sure there's some people that make this spec look good though if you're just starting out as a fresh 50 don't confuse the mm play style with something that someone with maybe much more experience or better gear can make work. I myself would not play that spec or at least would spec it more toward shields and defense than ports toward the target and trying to have better melee.

Ascendant

It's not the absolute best single-target, but it IS top tier. It's ease of use means most players find that it's the spec they can consistently do the most damage with. Think Chun Li in Street Fiighter 3 3rd Strike - top tier character, but the best players in the world don't use her very often (Kuroda, Daigo, Kokujin, KO, etc.).

Again, it's ridiculously easy to use, it is 35m range (RIFT hates melee), and the list goes on.
    Ah, I see what you mean.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

Plane Touched

What do you call top tier exactly ? My rogue is not my main hence badly geared, but ranger, bloodstalker, NB : all three are better than marksman for dps in my opinion.

Plane Touched

Yes I wouldn't consider MM to be top tier dps. Other classes that put points into support souls to gain utility, and lose about the same in DPS as going MM does, consider those as situational niche builds and do not typically even carry them.

Don't get me wrong it's good to have, an extremely flexible build, and most rogues should probably have it Especially new ones - but it is very much second rate dps in PVE.

Ascendant

He's calling it "top tier" in a similar fashion to how characters are tiered in fighting games. Top tier is basically like the ease of play + the results it can bring or if something is kinda "overpowered". If something is "low tier", it means it's generally meant for veteran players or it has some niche application/limitation (ie. Bloodstalker might fit here, not a spec meant for beginning players, but the payout is pretty good if you do well, cannot be used in some boss fights).
    Last edited by Adastra; 07-17-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

That makes sense I guess. When I think top tier I think competitive. MM is about 2/3 of the DPS of a 38-28 mage these days. On Ituziel mages in guild are trying to break 5k (with the highest so far 4850) and our MM pulls 3200.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

There's a fairly comprehensive rogue PvP guide in my sig, and it includes a lot about marksman.
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    There's a fairly comprehensive rogue PvP guide in my sig, and it includes a lot about marksman.
    Pretty much easy mode for ranged rogue builds. Good advice.

FANOUTFANOUTFANOUTFANOUTFANOUTFANOUT

I will do my best to give the specs Loony uses. As his primary roles are ranged. He uses 3 ranged roles. Ill link each.

This is Loony's single target/ debuff spec. A decent build, although you are definitely glass cannon. MM 51/ Ranger 8/ Sin 7 http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...RqdAudR.VMz.-7

That spec is considered his standard spec.

The next spec is Loony's solo PVE spec. It is very effective! Too bad not that effective in pvp. It is a Bard/Ranger/MM build. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...V0zR.VGsM0e.-7

This last build is Loony's primary PVP build.This build is highly effective. The reason for this build is to take away much of a tanks mitigation. Which it does superbly. In pvp, I would not trade this range build for any other! It is MM/Ranger/NB. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...zVzdR.VMs0z.-7

Hope you enjoyed them!
    Last edited by Maidden; 07-17-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliguwra View Post
    Pretty much easy mode for ranged rogue builds. Good advice.

FANOUTFANOUTFANOUTFANOUTFANOUTFANOUT
    Did you even read my guide?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaros
    Let me get this out of the way: STOP USING FAN OUT. Seriously, stop it. You're making the good Rogues look bad. The only time you should be using Fan Out is to provide AoE interrupt spam at a control point you're trying to hold.
    ~Quiescent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast