Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Quick Question about Resonance in Raid

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    189

    Default Quick Question about Resonance in Raid

    I have a question about resonance. Is the warriors call currently overwriting Motif of Tenacity? I kept giving our bard **** about resonance going off, and the guild leader gave me an earful about it. I could of sword that I saw it counting to the off position (Tracking on NKRebuff ) in stead of just flashing on which is what it would of done if someone overwrote one of the motifs. Can anyone give me some heads up?
    Last edited by Neonaraj; 07-16-2012 at 04:33 AM.

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,248

    Default

    Yes, the warrior calls and the bard motifs overwrite each other. It's a bit annoying since warriors need their call to get the extra defensive boost, and we need our motif for the resonance stat boost.

    Edit: What I haven't tested is if resonance is up, but a warrior call overwrites your motif. I assume Resonance will keep running until it runs out of time instead of immediately vanishing.
    Last edited by Adastra; 07-16-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    White Fang

    Adastra@Greybriar

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
    Yes, the warrior calls and the bard motifs overwrite each other. It's a bit annoying since warriors need their call to get the extra defensive boost, and we need our motif for the resonance stat boost.

    Edit: What I haven't tested is if resonance is up, but a warrior call overwrites your motif. I assume Resonance will keep running until it runs out of time instead of immediately vanishing.
    So correct me if I am wrong but if that is the case and it does let it run out, our bard is slacking on casting our motifs or the warrior is doing call as our bard is casting them.

  4. #4
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    Pretty much means the Call is going up while he's refreshing Motifs and he's not catching it.

    If the Motifs are all up (except the one being overwritten) but Resonance has dropped, that's what has happened. If the Motifs are not up, then it's sloppy barding.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    130

    Default

    No, if the warrior is recasting as soon as it falls off, he needs to wait until resonance is refreshed to recast.

    It's not sloppy barding, it's anal warrioring.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sculduggery View Post
    No, if the warrior is recasting as soon as it falls off, he needs to wait until resonance is refreshed to recast.

    It's not sloppy barding, it's anal warrioring.
    If the bard allows Motifs to drop, it's sloppy barding.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    130

    Default

    You're not understanding the process of how this works. Resonance is not going to apply until Bravery, Focus, and Tenacity are all up at once. If the bards refresh cycle refreshes Tenacity first, and the warrior instantly overwrites it when he sees his call wear off, Resonance has a chance of not being updated because when the bard gets to recasting Bravery and Focus, Tenacity is already gone. I guess this can be avoided by always casting Tenacity last, but the amount of times that the buffs are refreshed in the raid would just make it an anal expectation. It's a broken expectation from the start since the raid will never have the Resonance buff since Tenacity is always immediately overwritten. That's not sloppy barding.

    I guess it could also be solved by making your bard immune to boss mechanics, have him never get CCed, and just making him stand there casting motifs over and over.

  8. #8
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sculduggery View Post
    You're not understanding the process of how this works. Resonance is not going to apply until Bravery, Focus, and Tenacity are all up at once. If the bards refresh cycle refreshes Tenacity first, and the warrior instantly overwrites it when he sees his call wear off, Resonance has a chance of not being updated because when the bard gets to recasting Bravery and Focus, Tenacity is already gone. I guess this can be avoided by always casting Tenacity last, but the amount of times that the buffs are refreshed in the raid would just make it an anal expectation. It's a broken expectation from the start since the raid will never have the Resonance buff since Tenacity is always immediately overwritten. That's not sloppy barding.

    I guess it could also be solved by making your bard immune to boss mechanics, have him never get CCed, and just making him stand there casting motifs over and over.
    After the initial motif setup (which should usually be pre-combat), bravery and focus should never drop. Tenacity will drop often because warrior's Call to Entrench, and I believe cleric's Protect the Flock, will overwrite it. However, since bravery and focus are always up, the bard needs only to refresh tenacity at any point and it will refresh resonance with a full 30 seconds, even if the tenacity is overwritten in 1 second. It's also a good idea to cast tenacity last to be on the safe side.

    If resonance, or any motif other than tenacity, is dropping then your bard is slacking. (Unless a warrior is using Call to Battle which overwrites bravery. In which case, tell him to stop)
    Last edited by arkz; 07-16-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: grammar

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arkz View Post
    After the initial motif setup (which should usually be pre-combat)
    ... only if you want to scrape your bard off of the pavement first thing every attempt.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Mirimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,501

    Default

    Motiff pre pull can easily get ur bard killed, especially if the tanks are simply face pulling initially rather than using a threat ability, I see this happen often, though not soo much with Terrible Idea, their tanks know their jobs.

    as for resonance, the abilities that overwrite our motiffs do go up, but once resonance goes up it remains for the full count, so for the motiff rotation the bard need not worry until it's time to re-spam motiffs again.

    The only real issue I have on the buff/debuff side of the house is CoJ being dropped by mage abilities, and prevented from being reapplied for that ability period, so just another thing to have to track, poor synergy on trion's part imo.

  11. #11
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sculduggery View Post
    ... only if you want to scrape your bard off of the pavement first thing every attempt.
    If your tank is bad then adjust your tactics and put them up after the pull. The rest of my post doesn't change.

  12. #12
    RIFT Guide Writer TheGrinnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sculduggery View Post
    No, if the warrior is recasting as soon as it falls off, he needs to wait until resonance is refreshed to recast.

    It's not sloppy barding, it's anal warrioring.
    The warrior needs to use the calls when they are up, any other method results in losing mitigation and avoidance. The bard can use motifs whenever he needs to, they have no cooldown.

  13. #13
    RIFT Guide Writer TheGrinnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post
    as for resonance, the abilities that overwrite our motiffs do go up, but once resonance goes up it remains for the full count, so for the motiff rotation the bard need not worry until it's time to re-spam motiffs again.
    And that's why it's not really a big deal. Just refresh it when the other motifs drop, if the warrior is using calls he will be refreshing it before his own buff wears off so there won't be an issue there.

  14. #14
    Ascendant Mirimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,501

    Default

    exactly
    /10char

  15. #15
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sculduggery View Post
    You're not understanding the process of how this works.
    I understand "how this works". I think -- twice, now -- you've misread my posts. I'm telling the guy asking the question what to look for to find out if it's the warrioring derping it up or the bard derping it up.

    If the Bard has LET HIS MOTIFS DROP OFF (e.g. not having only Ten be overwritten, but has let them drop -- note that I said Motifs, and not Motif), that's lazy barding. If the other Motifs are up, but Tenacity isn't, and Resonance isn't up, it's because the warrior overwrote it -- as you have established, and as I said in the first sentence of the first post you referenced.

    So, while I appreciate the patronizing summary of "how bards work", it was wholly unnecessary.

    Edit: Also, as arkz said, and unless it got stealth nerfed, you just need to refresh one of the component buffs while the others are active to trigger Resonance.
    Last edited by Kyera; 07-17-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts