+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sin/mm

Soulwalker

Default Sin/mm

Yesterday I noticed a teammate using permanent stealth but also using mm as his primary damage. Question is, is there a viable pvp spec that grants perma stealth while still having enough points in mm for it to be reasonable to use ranged attacks?

44/22 MM/Sin.

There's more info on it under "Assassin" in the guide in my signature.
    ~Quiescent

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    44/22 MM/Sin.

There's more info on it under "Assassin" in the guide in my signature.
    Thanks, your pros/cons are exactly what I was observing from the other player

44mm/22sin has been kind of my default pvp spec... if only because it serves other functions and I only have one slot available for pvp roles.

Zaros' guide's description of it is spot on.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by sachay View Post
    Yesterday I noticed a teammate using permanent stealth but also using mm as his primary damage. Question is, is there a viable pvp spec that grants perma stealth while still having enough points in mm for it to be reasonable to use ranged attacks?
    Perma stealth is not worth the points that could be used for better skills or enhancing dps. I use a MM/Ran/Sin build. Its great for raiding or for single target's. My preferred build is mm/ran/nb. With electrified munitions. It eats away whatever mitigation a warrior or RS rogue can put up. It is also great for multiple targets.

Stealth in my view is only used to get by something that you dont want to be seen with. Or hitting someone from behind. As such, regular stealth is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Maidden View Post
    Stealth in my view is only used to get by something that you dont want to be seen with. Or hitting someone from behind. As such, regular stealth is just fine.
    This is how i look at stealth too. It the only reason i went 31 Sin/rest in MM for conquest. Able to tag the minibosses/foci/end boss at range then Slip Away if needed then go to the next one. Other then that i wouldn't really mix stealth into a range build personally.

I beg to differ. But it would largely be an issue of preference and play style.

What perma stealth offers is the ability to pick and choose the moment of your engagement at your whim. Mostly to take advantage of people's tendency to tunnel vision on what they perceive to be the biggest threat.

Its amazing how few people ever turn around when they're getting shot at if you position yourself 35 meters behind their lines and start picking at their support. By the time they decide its time to run, they're running TOWARDS you... because they think they're getting shot from in front of them.

There are better variants if you want to be a ranged turret parked behind your front line, but that is not what 44mm/22sin is used for.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    Its amazing how few people ever turn around when they're getting shot at if you position yourself 35 meters behind their lines and start picking at their support. By the time they decide its time to run, they're running TOWARDS you... because they think they're getting shot from in front of them.
    I can actually see how that would work out well. Iv never really liked stealth that much but i might have to give this a go a few WFs just for the lols

Champion

Yeah but you don't need perma stealth or even stealth at all to pull off that kind of positioning.

Quote Originally Posted by rennlc View Post
    Yeah but you don't need perma stealth or even stealth at all to pull off that kind of positioning.
    Its far easier to sneak around people with stealth, especially after they implemented name plates. It's pretty hard to miss a moving red bar trying to sneak around you.

As for the perma stealth part, that's preference. With it, you have the choice of waiting for whatever moment to join in on the fight. Without it you have a limited window of opportunity.

I prefer the option of being able to tab through my enemies and picking my targets at my leisure.

Telaran

Default What I run

I swapped to this spec when Conquest came out, to have the option of stealth, before I knew it was mostly a constant zergfest. That being said, I've kept it and enjoy it quite a bit.

I get you can have BIGGER NUMBERZ if you spec'd more MM or gave up assassin, but I like the versatility.

Like others have stated, its nice to position or move around back and open on the healer in the backline, while the rest of their team doesn't "see" you and you will no longer be the first "tab targetee" for people that do that.

You can get people to half easy with Paralyzing Strike, Puncture, Rapid Fire shot, and then decide if you want to plink them to death or purge everything off then (wardens) etc.

It may not be the best spec ever to some, but it's fun.
    Malg, Rogue pr50
    Nalg, Mage pr40

side notes, does anybody know if EW is actually affected by valor or is it still not mitigated

FWIW I do like having a perma stealth (and non reduced run speed) MM. But it wasn't good enough to wipe out my more full on damage MM. A good middle ground I found is just using your sin to infiltrate and pop into MM. MM really only needs ~2 buffs and they are pretty much g2g. Other than that, my high DPS marksmen has NB stealth which I get tremendous use out of, even without the sin perks. I figure prolonged stealth is mostly for infiltrating purposes or long sneak bys, in which swapping to a sin isn't often a bad idea. As a sin gets hidden veil of course w/ slip away. If a MM stealthing gets foiled along the way they have to fight. If a sin gets caught you can blow some CD's and keep on your move.

If I had a 7th role I might use it to make my perma stealth MM. The range they have, combined with ease of damage does make even a MM with slightly less damage still threatening if players take full advantage of clever positioning to open up from.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterousD19 View Post
    This is how i look at stealth too. It the only reason i went 31 Sin/rest in MM for conquest. Able to tag the minibosses/foci/end boss at range then Slip Away if needed then go to the next one. Other then that i wouldn't really mix stealth into a range build personally.
    Really depends on your tactics. If you were like me it was effective. I had two jobs...keep sapping people so they can't pick up/cap something and ambush people when two groups meet (slip away on contact, move to a flank so an AoE doesn't break stealth. Wait until an appropriate target gets in range, burn it down, slip away. Wash rinse repeat.) Now obviously being a sneaky back stabbing "coward" (I prefer the terms sniper or insurgent ;) ) isn't for everyone, but if you dig it it is a lot of fun.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Telaran

I've been using this spec in conquest lately. It truly is the most pain-in-the-*** spec I've ever come up with.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...Vzzo.VMxRMz.-7

It doesn't do any real damage but it is incredible for zerg battles because you are virtually unkillable even while being focus fired.

When played strategically, you can harrass teams by drawing fire and laughing it off, put pressure on back line healers and dps, and spread the mighty heal debuff.

Get some CPs on a target with barbed shot, and then fan out off that target. Rinse repeat.

Again - you will NOT do strong damage, but you can have much more impact on a fight than just damage if you play smart because you can always count on other people not to.

If things get too hot, slip away and start over.
    Last edited by Knutplate; 07-20-2012 at 07:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast