+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP Tank spec

Soulwalker

Default PvP Tank spec

Hey, I'm looking for a decent pvp tank spec.

This is my take on it: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...okz.xV0V00M.-0

Was wondering if anyone had any input?

This is my take on this outside of your build.

Rift has no viable gear set for PvP tanking. There is no force taunt or threat tables. Meaning there is no 'tanking' in PvP. You can try it but most 'smart' players will ignore you kill your healer and now your role as tank is now worthless.

EQ2 used to allow you to taunt people in PvP. Basically it force you to target them for a very brief period of time. It was annoying but effective. Though EQ2 also had integrated Vent so people could communicate with each other can matches were MUCH more organized. WF in Rift are usually rather unorganized cluster *****.
    Wyrmtail (was Warking) - 50/1000+ Rogue
    <Vendetta> - Defiant - Briarcliff
    [DH - Cleared | GP - Cleared | RotP - Cleared | PF - Cleared | GSB - Cleared | RoS - Cleared | HK - Cleared | ID - Cleared | PVP - 50]

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Warking View Post

Rift has no viable gear set for PvP tanking. There is no force taunt or threat tables. Meaning there is no 'tanking' in PvP. You can try it but most 'smart' players will ignore you kill your healer and now your role as tank is now worthless.

EQ2 used to allow you to taunt people in PvP. Basically it force you to target them for a very brief period of time. It was annoying but effective. Though EQ2 also had integrated Vent so people could communicate with each other can matches were MUCH more organized. WF in Rift are usually rather unorganized cluster *****.
    I disagree actually. In group pvp you need people to initiate the opposing team, otherwise your team might not attack at all, or attacks may be very sporadic. If you initiate, a lot of people start attacking, as they can see that the enemy is engaged, which means more coordinated attacks.

On top of this, it also affects enemy ranks to have someone inside their ranks, tearing them up.
    Last edited by Mr. Snail; 07-05-2012 at 05:32 AM.

Don't try to run the flag in whitefall because none of your tanking abilities will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    Don't try to run the flag in whitefall because none of your tanking abilities will work.
    Why not? Design or flaw?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Warking View Post

If I recall, you could taunt in SWTOR. While the taunt debuff was on the player, he did 90% less damage to all other players except the one who taunted him. OP as hell considering some non-tank classes had taunt.
    Last edited by AlphaUnicorn; 07-06-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Snail View Post
    I disagree actually. In group pvp you need people to initiate the opposing team, otherwise your team might not attack at all, or attacks may be very sporadic. If you initiate, a lot of people start attacking, as they can see that the enemy is engaged, which means more coordinated attacks.

On top of this, it also affects enemy ranks to have someone inside their ranks, tearing them up.
    I love tanks in pvp.... on the opposing team

A high hp, high defense target is perfect for centering aoe's on. Also really handy for skills like TI, storm shackle, AP, NF etc. It wont hurt the tank much, but your team.....

If I recall, you could taunt in SWTOR. While the taunt debuff was on the player, he did 90% less damage to all other players except the one who taunted him. OP as hell considering some non-tank classes had taunt.
    When I left it was 30% damage to anyone but the taunter, but you're right - worked for both AOE and ST taunts. You could also guard a single player, and it would transfer damage to you + reduce damage taken.

Literally, that was the only good feature of that game.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    When I left it was 30% damage to anyone but the taunter, but you're right - worked for both AOE and ST taunts. You could also guard a single player, and it would transfer damage to you + reduce damage taken.

Literally, that was the only good feature of that game.
    I liked the leveling, and having mentors sell trash out of my bags (but then again, why even have trash items drop? lol).

+ Reply to Thread